Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum
Slow Grow Campaign - Printable Version

+- Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Miniature Gaming (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Malifaux (https://forum.redditchtabletopgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Slow Grow Campaign (/showthread.php?tid=2457)

Pages: 1 2

Slow Grow Campaign - Gareth - 18-03-2015

Having spent the first few months of the year playing SAGA, and the fact that until I know where Warhammer is heading, I fancy getting back into Malifaux.

As such I am contemplating a Slow Grow Campaign, where games are played, with a fixed pool of models, which gradually gets increased, as the campaign progresses. Further to that, painted models will get a small bonus in each game (I'm currently thinking that once per game a painted model can gain +1 on any card used in a duel.) The idea being that we start off small probably around Henchmen led 25 SS crews from a slightly larger pool, and progress up towards 50 SS games and a Master or 2 to choose from, all the while players are encouraged to get everything painted.

What should be obvious that this will be using the 2nd Edition ruleset and cards.

So is this something people would be interested in?

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Simian - 19-03-2015

yep, im in

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - manrogue - 19-03-2015

Potentially, Malifaux has had me interested before. This sounds an interesting way to build up a small army using what i have and expanding.
How often would you have to play?
1 Game a month would be ideal to allow me to still 40K and allow any of those in the 40K campaign to get involved if they are interested (that's 1 game a month for this reason).
And if you get the interest, when would look to kick it off?

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Gareth - 19-03-2015

Probably towards the back end of April or early May. Give me time to sort things out. The next Malifaux book out in August will feature a campaign system, but I'm hoping to have it up and running before that comes out. Maybe look towards that system for a future campaign, when people have amassed a collection via this one.

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Dedwoods42 - 19-03-2015

What's the buy-in cost like? Quite fancy giving it a blast!

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Gareth - 19-03-2015

Having just shot over to Element Games and costed things up, you could be up and running at about £65.

What you need is the A5 rulebook, which is about £8-9, a Fatedeck costing you about £6, a Crewbox from one of the factions which are not to far off £30 for a playable force, and maybe a box or two of additional models which are rarely over £12. One thing you will want to pick up or create is a set each of spare 30mm, 40mm and 50mm bases. Malifaux uses a fair amount of tokens, either for in game effects, but more importantly Objectives, so having some spare bases to use would never be a bad thing. There are many companies such as Bendy Boards, which create sets of counters which look nicer and might save you some money. Finally you will just want something to represent you Soulstones during the game, which could be Gems, Scraps of Paper, or Gummy Bears.

You will find in the box with any models you purchase is a pack of stat cards and some upgrade cards, These contain all the rules for each of you models, so there is no Codex to buy as such. You might want to get a set of card sleeves just to protect them, particularly if you fancy using a dry erase pen, to mark wounds on the cards, rather than by another way.

What you will not have though by buying the A5 rulebook over the more expensive full size book, and any expansion books, is model stat other than those that come with your models, and also the generic upgrade cards for your chosen faction. So what you might want to consider is purchasing the Arsenal Packs. These will contain plenty of stat cards for you to look through, when considering future purchases.

Finally something thats of use, but not necessary in anyway is the Schemes and Strategies Pack. Neither player needs to have one for the game to be played, but one player having one makes game set up a little easier, and both players having one makes monitoring the games win conditions even easier.

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Etched Oracle - 19-03-2015

I could be tempted to join in with this. I haven't played M2e and I'd quite like to give Marcus a go, run a beasty crew.

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Dedwoods42 - 19-03-2015

Those are some very tempting prices... If this ends up being more May than April I think I'd be very much up for giving it a go.

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - manrogue - 20-03-2015

Yeah, same here, if you could push into Mid May would be great for me as well Gaz. A lot of expenses next month, so couldn't afford the rulebook and fate deck till May 5th payday.

RE: Slow Grow Campaign - Noisysteve - 21-03-2015

I still have, first we models, are these still comparable stats for 2nd we?