Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Necromunda Campaign background/storyline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought I'd start a thread for discussion/posting of background for the upcoming campaign. Also we could use this to update the story as it progresses Smile

Angry Panda has got some great ideas, revolving around a 'sea' of leaked coolant in the Underhive. I thought about starting off with a cave-in that has allowed access to a previously abandoned part of the underhive, so the gangs move in and start to carve up the new territory.

We were thinking of combining these ideas, so there's a cave-in as the unstable underhive collapses a bit more, gangs move in and find themselves among the ruins, with a sea of coolant partially covering the area. I'll post our discussion here, hope Panda doesn't mind:

Jaqenhgar: Thanks for the heads up Panda, it looks good, is it set in the badlands rather than a hive city? [referring to a story by AP - do you want to post that in the other thread?]

I do have a few ideas revolving around a cave-in in the underhive somewhere, opening up a section that had been long abandoned due to toxic gases/general instability. It seems to be stable(ish) now so then rival gangs move in, precipitating viscious gang warfare as each tries to stake their claim to each bit of territory and possible hidden riches.

Feel free to post your background, I don't wish to dictate how the campaign goes, just facilitate it happening, and everyone is free to contribute

Angry Panda: Well, when I used to play (all those years ago lol) everything was based around the Rust falls' area of the underhive. But from reading over fluff from various citadel journals etc... I thought why not base it in a different area of underhive? Then I read about the sump sea being an area where coolant had flooded a few domes, forming the "sea."

So its still underhive, just a bit that can be modified to whatever is needed for the campaign! Plus would fit perfectly with your cave in idea, as the gangs could fight over control of the previously overlooked new territory.

Also, it means you can have occasional games where anybody falling is deemed "lost" as they fall into the stagnant water andthats the sealife takes a bitehuge of tgem! Hell, could even have a game where its being fought on a whole set of "islands" representing the rusting remains of the underhive sticking out through the water!
Maybe it could be set around a trading post/port area, with surrounding area controlled by rival gangs, next to the coolant sea...

It would be great if others could post your own ideas and then we can mash something together! And/Or let us know what you think so far!
(26-07-2012, 09:37 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: [ -> ]...could even have a game where its being fought on a whole set of "islands" representing the rusting remains of the underhive sticking out through the water!

Maybe it could be set around a trading post/port area, with surrounding area controlled by rival gangs, next to the coolant sea...

I really like these ideas.

Sounds good so far, looking forward to this!
Background to the campaign:
Deep in the Underhive, a tremor was felt. Not an unusual occurrence, but a couple of clicks later a Juve traversing the no mans land between rival gangs stumbled upon a gaping hole in the ground. Upon excavation it led down to an even deeper level, one that had been blocked off and uninhabited for a long, long time, perhaps centuries. A vast chemical sea, mainly coolant that had dripped through the ages from the upper levels, was discovered, a few kilometres from the entrance. This was called the Chem Sea by some, the Sump Sea by others.

It didn’t take long for rival gangs to move into territory no-one had yet claimed. Gangs on the run, gangs who needed a place to hide out for a time, or gangs just down on their luck looking for a new start and hope of new opportunities. A trading post was established, run by an old timer and his family, name of Darrick, to supply the gangs with guns, stims and news, and also since it was discovered that a cave in elsewhere meant the route through this part of the Underhive could avoid the powerful, established Gangs of the level above, that exacted tribute from each caravan passing through their territory. Traders could now smuggle their wares along the shores of the Chem Sea, and managed to keep a bit more of their meagre possessions.

At first fights between gangs were small affairs, petty squabbles and bar fights, because the area was big and the gangers were few. The trading post was the only place rival gangs could meet and know there would most likely not be blood spilt, or not too much anyway. Darrick had a big family, and they had a lot of guns, tolerating no fighting other than with fists in their trading post, and even then you got kicked out the door. Besides, no-one wanted to jeopardise the only place in the area they could buy and sell stuff, even if rival gangs were using it as well.

Once rumours spread about hoards of treasure and lost archeotech (perhaps wishful thinking) that were hidden on islands across the Chem Sea, more gangers were drawn to the area, and things started getting serious. Vicious gang warfare erupted, a fight over the spoils and who would dominate the territory around the trading post.

First Month Summary

‘Hey Darrick, a tankard of snakebite over here!’ Magni bellowed at the old man. Darrick scowled and sent his eldest daughter Greta over with the noxious drink. ‘I hear you got yourselves back on your feet Magni, beatin’ them Illegitimates after you lost out to those Mad capsules a few clicks back’ said Greta to the Cawdor Heavy. ‘Yeah, they won’t be thinkin’ we’re easy pickin’s no more’ Magni drawled as he slopped snakebite down his greasy chin. The boy with Magni sat drooling in the corner, at least he was quiet at the moment thought Greta, he had a tendency to have sudden raging outbusts, and she avoided being near him as much as possible.

The door banged open and in slinked Arcanum of the grey area gang, the Delaque leader looking around the bar, his hand hovering over his holster as he saw Magni and Boy in the corner. ‘No fightin’ in ‘ere’ Darrick growled,’or me guards’ll be tippin’ both ye bodies in the Chem sea’. The guards were Darricks three sons and two daughters, sitting or standing near edges of the room, laspistols in holsters, shotguns within reach and a few wicked looking knives on their belts. ‘I’m not here for trouble’ said Arcanum his voice a sibilant whisper, the pale skin of his forehead in contrast to the dark round glasses that seemed to obscure half his face. The Grey Area gang had also clashed with the Triumphant Illegitimates recently, and had bested them. The Illegitimates hadn’t been seen much since but rumours were they were away in their hideout, planning and plotting revenge.
‘I’ve come with a warning’, Arcanum spoke softly, ‘the Spyrers are here, hunting around the Chem Sea. We have fought them, and barely escaped with our lives.’ Silence fell in the bar, as the scattered patrons took in the news. ‘Anyone who has any knowledge of a Spyrers location, bring the news to me. There’s creds going for the info, I mean to see them dead, so they never return back uphive.’ The gangs hated each other, and fought tooth and nail for each scrap of territory, but theirs was an honest hatred, the knowledge that the gangs they fought were really just like them, fighting for creds, guns and respect. Fighting Spyrers though, no good could come of that. The nobles from the upper hive hunted scum like them for sport. The smell of fear pervaded the bar, several gangers slipped out quietly, no doubt going to warn their gang.

‘Heard about a new gang in the area’, Darrick said to no-one in particular as Arcanum settled at a table where some cards were being played. ‘Who’s that then pa?’ one of his daughters replied, feigning interest. ‘ Call themselves Bombers Command. Heard they gave the Mad Capsules a right pasting by the old water cooler out East’. Magni looked up from trying to stab a cockroach with his 6-inch knife. Anyone who made the Mad Capsules bleed was someone he wanted to know, he’d have to ask Seth his leader if he’d heard of this new gang. ‘ ….and then the Mad’uns turned right back ‘round and ambushed ‘em. Heard Bombers Command barely managed to drag their sorry hides away, they put so many bits of lead in ‘em!’. That made Magni feel better, knowing others had come a cropper when facing those House Escher vixens. He probed his shoulder, the newly healed battle wound still ached, and flared up in pain every so often. He reckoned there was still some lead from an Escher gun buried deep in their somewhere. ‘Come on Boy, time to go talk to Seth, sounds like there’s a new gang on the block, perhaps we should be payin’ them a visit and teachin’ them some respect eh?’ Magni grinned. Boy just looked vacantly at him. He sighed, and pulled the boy up by the arm, they had guns to clean, knives to sharpen, and some more scum to fight.

A click after Magni and Boy returned to their own territory, two major bits of news filtered into the trading post.

The first island was reached, across the tortured metal walkways that criss-crossed the Chem Sea

...and someone said they'd seen a group of men, down by the shore, stumbling over a corpse and tearing it apart with their teeth and their bare hands...