Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Paintbrushes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so all my paint brushes are pretty much knackered now and I need some new ones, looking for any recommendations?

I'd like a couple for drybrushing, detailing and regular painting.

Any suggestions? The GW brushes I've found are pretty good but I seem to wear them out pretty fast (despite how little I actually get round to painting....)

Any suggestions?
Not sure what your budget is, but you'll find the following will be widely recommended:
  • Windsor & Newton Series 7
  • Windsor & Newton Series 7 Miniature
  • Rosemary & Co. Series 33
  • Raphael 8404
Those are all good quality Kolinsky Sable and will last if cared for. They would seem to be the popular choices with plenty of pro's and those just aspiring to improve their painting. I've got some W&N (non-miniature) and R&C.

Something cheap and nasty will be fine for dry-brushing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-10-SIZE-0...5b02ee3f28

from the above shop I bought size 2 white sable, pack of 10 about 40p each, cheap, and OK... Size 2 Don't seem to keep their point that long, but at the price can throw away.

bought size 0000 from ebay pack of 10 in 2013 they have lasted ages.
Still going...
Thanks guys.

And damn paint brushes can be expensive Stu!
(16-05-2016, 07:49 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys.

And damn paint brushes can be expensive Stu!

Paintbrushes can be expensive or cheap to buy, good or poor quality. GW ones are expensive and poor quality (although admittedly I would like to give their current range a try.) However don't get drawn in by the false economy of buying lesser quality brushes. I use W&N and R&C and they are still as good as they were with a bit of TLC. So after 4 years I'm still on the same brushes. I would avoid the W&N miniature brushes. They are not actually for painting miniatures but rather have a smaller handle. You can usually pick up a set which will have 0,1,2 and maybe a 3, which will be all you need. Also get some Masters brush cleaner and restorer. Other than that standard brush care, will see you in good stead.

If your after a middle ground look at the Element Games brushes, or even the Army Painter ones. Neither do much harm to your budget, but of the two I would stump for the Element Games ones (I'm using those at the moment myself.)
I would also advise watering your paint down quite a bit, if you find that your brushes get ruined to fast. What is probably happening is that think paint, is drying in the brush, causing it to splay. The more you thin the paint, the more time you have to work with it. Obviously avoid ever going up to the ferule with paint, and if possible store them point down after washing them out (with the cap on if you still have it.) That will stop any loose particles running into the ferule, once you have washed them out.
(16-05-2016, 07:49 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: [ -> ]And damn paint brushes can be expensive Stu!

True, but they will last if cared for. The R&C brushes are pretty good value, and cheaper than some inferior ranges.
Look at this set of Windsor and Newton S7,
I must agree with everything Gareth has said above. I bought myself a set of W&N Series 7 a few months ago and they're the best brushes i've ever used. The point stays nice and sharp as long as long as you care for the brushes as you should (and with the price tag they carry, you will want to!)
I use Windsor and Newton Series 7 Miniature Brushes and have not been disappointed.
Yes, they are more expensive but I feel with the correct care they will last a lot longer, and produce better results.