Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8th Edition notes
Just thought I'd start a thread for rules queries/notes.

From the game against Luke last Tuesday the following came up (some of them we played correctly, others not):

My dragon princes charged some orcs and grimgor and won the combat but I had only a single Prince left and he had one full rank (plus an incomplete rank I think). Should Luke's troops have been steadfast when they took their Ld check even though they only had one rank? In the game his Ld was modified, but I don't know if this was right. It says 'more ranks than the enemy' so I think Luke had one full rank and I had none he should have been steadfast. This could have made quite a difference to the battle outcome I think Luke. (rules for steadfast p54)

Secondly, if the target of a charge flees (voluntarily or involuntarily due to terror), teh charger is allowed to make a redirected charge against a different unit if they pass an Ld test (p18)

Cancelling rank bonus only occurs if the flanking/rear unit has two ranks or more (so general on griffon can't disrupt) p52

I think you can only use a characters Ld for panic/ break tests if it's joined to the unit or it's the General and within 12" of the unit (18" if on a large target monster). so other independent characters don't count. p107

Stone Thrower uses the small blast template (p114), I was using the outer edge of your template Luke when working out how many of my elves had been hit - oops!

One for me to remember - Eltharions sword does not allow armour saves.

Lastly - marching: as Luke said you only seem to test Ld if you start your move within 8" of an enemy, so if you start marching further away and come within 8" you don't need to test (maybe I am remembering old rules here?). p26.
Marching doesn't prevent spellcasting in the magic phase.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
1) If Luke has 1 rank of 5 models against a single model, it has more ranks than its enemy, and therefore is steadfast. Steadfast is not done on rank bonus, but on number of ranks of 5 or more models (3 in the case of Monsterous units.)

2) I thought these were questions which they don't appear to be, so giving rulings / clarifications are harder than I expected.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(14-07-2012, 06:48 PM)Gareth Wrote: 1) If Luke has 1 rank of 5 models against a single model, it has more ranks than its enemy, and therefore is steadfast. Steadfast is not done on rank bonus, but on number of ranks of 5 or more models (3 in the case of Monsterous units.)

2) I thought these were questions which they don't appear to be, so giving rulings / clarifications are harder than I expected.

Sorry if it's a bit of a random post. They are mainly my musings on the rules that I wasn't sure of, the only real question was the steadfast one so thanks for the answer. The rest I've put in writing to help me remember and to tell Luke, and also if anyone spots anything wrong to comment on if they so desire.

Cheers!

40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Yeah, as I said before the game, I think that the basics are down and I had a good thorough read through Magic before we had our game, but I'm not 100% on them, so I'm sure that we did make a afew mistakes!
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
Inportant point with regards to redirected charge. The first charge gets scrapped. So if you fail to make contact with your second target, but reach your initial target, then you stop 1" away, as you have not charged that unit.
And with regards to marching, in previous editions a unit could not march whilst within 8" of an enemy unit. You marched, then stopped as soon as ou came within 8". Now you check at the start, test if required, and then move double pace.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen