Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New players
I was just wondering if anybody would be interested in learning to play Magic the Gathering?
The new 2013 core set is coming out on the 15th of July. And the new 2013 core game is out on Steam.
40k- Orks Infinity- Ariadna (ballard choice) Magic the Gathering
Sean (ME): "I wonder how many nails I can get in this box?"
(11-07-2012, 04:37 PM)seanbate Wrote: I was just wondering if anybody would be interested in learning to play Magic the Gathering?
The new 2013 core set is coming out on the 15th of July. And the new 2013 core game is out on Steam.

Might give it a go sometime, never really been into card games before.
Picked up Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam when it went on sale the other day, have to say it's pretty addictive. Would someone be willing to give me a few tutorial games if i got myself a Deck?
Picked myself up an intro deck and a couple of booster packs. Hopefully i can grab a game off someone at some time in the future
When the opportunity arises I'd be happy to teach you how to play! I'm always available on a Sunday at Total Wargamer if you'd like to pop over for some games. There is a very active community of players here with a nice spread of capabilities from complete beginners to PTQ players.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(11-11-2012, 11:44 AM)Etched Oracle Wrote: When the opportunity arises I'd be happy to teach you how to play! I'm always available on a Sunday at Total Wargamer if you'd like to pop over for some games. There is a very active community of players here with a nice spread of capabilities from complete beginners to PTQ players.

Will see about getting a lift over sometime. Thanks
Had a look through the cards i got off Sean, and i've added a fair few to my deck, simply because they look cool. Taken out around 4 creatures, and replaced them with ones that look like they might work a little better with the rest of the deck. Also added a couple more defensive spells, and some more Plains cards. 73 cards total the deck is now, tried to keep it roughly the same percentage-wise when it comes to land, creatures and spells.
You can spend days working out the maths of decks but some general tips for an effective deck:

60 cards. It's a minimum for a reason, it means you're drawing into cards you need with consistency etc.
Land spread/mana base. This all depends on your deck. Does it have a low curve (Lots of 1 & 2 mana cards, with gradually less 3, 4 & 5 mana etc)? How many colours is it? (2 or 3 is most common, 4 or 5 being difficult to play, with mono being the easiest but less diversity). How many dual mana costs do you have? (If you run lots of say 2 White mana cards you need more of those lands to guarantee being able to play them over your other colour). Etc etc.
Multiple copies. It's best to run 3 or 4's of a card unless it's a win condition (The cards your deck is aimed towards utilising) at which point you run 1's or 2's.

And plenty of other things I am far too tired to recite right now. I am a semi-competitive player, certainly an intermediate going on to advanced, but deck building is my weakest point.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Most of my mana costs seem to be one white or blue, and then the rest colourless. And i do have multiple copies of SOME cards, being very new at the game some of the stuff that came in my deck there is only one of, so my hands are kinda tied with some of it. The cards i added in were basically just a couple of spookier ghosts than some of the ones i had, as i see they could potentially be very obnoxious should my Angel or some of my nastier geists decide to come out to play. Also threw a couple more defensive instants into the mix. Seemed to work well enough on tuesday as it was though, whether that was luck or an easy deck i don't know though XD
In pro games and tourneys, deck building is essentially the crux of the game. In more friendly environments, it's not so important as having fun is. If you're happy with what you've got then don't worry, you can always jig them around a bit later on.
As Etched says, 60 is the minimum, and in a tourney it'd need to be 60 to stand a chance cos you'd need to know there was a higher chance of that 1 card that'll win you the game coming out but in a friendly you get to practice more with what you've got and to be honest, I've played friendlies at my last club against tourney style decks and its no fun to just sit there whilst your opponent lays 10 cards on the table in turn 2 and removes all 20 lives off you. But hey, that's the idea of a tournament.
I'll happily play a friendly against anyone anytime. I think I know the rules enough to teach them.
Models painted in 2016 0

40k (Tau, Bork'an sept; Orks; Chaos daemons; Imperial Guard, Catachans with help from Valhallans & Pretorians; Space Wolves) Warhammer (Orcs & Goblins) BFG (Orks; Chaos) Necromunda (Cawdor; Wyrd Gathering; Ratskin Scouts) Blood Bowl (Wood Elves) Malifaux (Gremlins; Colette Du Bois)