Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
It's been great to see people signing up on here and expressing an interest in getting a club started in Redditch, and it's probably about high time I posted a little something about myself.

I've had a very casual, passing interest in the hobby since walking past the Games Workshop store on Corporation Street in Birmingham as a youngster during the very early eighties. My attention was first drawn to the window cabinets full of wonderfully painted Citadel miniatures, and I'd spend ages just gazing at them before being dragged off by my mum.

This curiosity was about as far as I ventued until my university years, when I'd pick up the occasional copy of White Dwarf mainly for the artwork contained within its pages. Big fan of fantasy artwork, me.

A few years back my brother-in-law, knowing I loved the film adaptations, bought me a set of Lord of the Rings Orcs - my first ever miniatures. I painted these with all the skill of someone completely new to the hobby, but it served to ignite my interest and that of my eldest lad, Luke (now 12).

As with many beginners we were initially drawn to Space Marines, and proceeded to collect a few. Luke took to painting, and we started to attend the annual Games Day events at the NEC to learn a bit more about the hobby and gain inspiration from the Golden Demon painting competition.

Between us we then acquired a considerable number of Imperial Guard, and Luke built a massive force of Tyranids which he reguarly fields against neighbours who play 40K. We also acquired the Battle for Skull Pass starter set for Warhammer Fantasy, and that led us to start building armies of Dwarfs and Orcs/Goblins late last year.

So at the moment we have Warhammer 40K Imperial Guards and Tyranids, as well as Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves and Orcs/Goblins. I'm also trying to build a custom Space Marine chapter on the side, for which I have a cunning plan (muaharhar!).

Gaming wise Luke has played a fair bit of 40K, and we've got a small number of Warhammer Fantasy battles under our belts between us. I'm still pretty much a n00b when it comes to gaming though, with an uncanny ability to roll a cannon misfire, but I'm very keen to address this lack of experience while giving you all some easy target practice at my expense Wink
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."