Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Malifaux Tournament
I have been asked to consider running a small Malifaux tournament, down at Total Wargamer. The date I that was proposed is not possible for me, so I am currently waiting to hear from some people, with regards to a potential date switch. I have also contacted various members of the UK Malifaux community, with regards to their views on the format of the event. There will also likely be a small nominal charge for prize support, seeing as the venue will most likely cost me nothing to hire.

So here is a heads up, that soon you may have a tournament to attend.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Kahuna Dave has let me know that he will be free on Sunday 17th June. I need to speak to Total Wargamer, to make sure they don't mind us filling their store with Malifaux players. I also need to find out if this date will be acceptable for the RedWarSoc members. I am working on timings of 10am-4pm with 3 rounds, but the Event Pack has been started, and should be finalised by tuesday. And a sneak peak its going to be 30ss fixed faction, seeing as most of us have additional models (no painting required but no blu-tac either.)
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Big Grin magic i ordered some models then read this must be fate
Good work so far Gaz! TW host their 40k tournaments on sundays so it shouldnt be a problem so long as the dates free.

My only question is 30SS, not 35SS?
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Date sounds good, and I should have a mostly painted crew by then Smile

I also wonder why 30ss rather than 35ss, which seems to be the normal size game as far as I'm aware
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

I have contacted four of the most prominate UK henchmen with regards to running a small scale "intro tournament." So far I have had feedback from two, all though I know one was at a Warhammer event over the weekend, and another is heavily pregnant at the moment, so not having heard from those two doesn't surprise me.

In order to run a successful tournament, you need to make it appealing to as many people as possible. I also need to consider the number of games, to be played, and the time the store is open. Also various people have more experience at Malifaux than others.

The most important thing, is that I can get in 3 games during a 6 hour window, with admin time, a lunch break, and other things. This means games will be down to a 85 minute window, including 10 minutes set up. From regards to my own experience, our club games do not often reach 6 turns, in 3 hours. My weekend game against Justin didn't go that fast, (mainly due to me forgetting what Colette does.) Malifaux is about the individual models, and what they uniquely do. It's a lot of information to process, and it takes time to play.

Another thing that has been commented is that at 35ss people are usually able to take what they want. So the idea is to drop the games to 30ss force people to think, about crew selection, as well as limiting the number of activations, and reduce game turn times.

Another thing is we play 35ss often. Reducing the total, means its something fresh for you too. Part of a tournament is making things different for the players.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen