Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC News: Why are grown men still launching tabletop war?
Piece on the beeb site today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Because it's awesome!!! Not a bad article I thought.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” ~George Bernard Shaw
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Had to laugh at GW's claim that prices not high to exploit fans.....
Its the only fault i really have GW since i have come back into hobby.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(13-03-2012, 11:09 AM)manrogue Wrote: Had to laugh at GW's claim that prices not high to exploit fans.....
Its the only fault i really have GW since i have come back into hobby.

Only????

How about the fact that the directors dictate to their games development team, that they need to under-power previously useful units, and over-power previously under-powered units. Also that every Codex/Army book must now include a huge £36 kit, that will be the corner stone of every army.

I predict now that come 6th ed, there will be some new form of high powered mega vehicle for every army, and that useful things like a Land Raider, will be made to suffer. It makes sense from a PLC point of view, new rules sell, but if you can sell new rules and new models, even better. The company as a whole is run for the shareholders dividends, rather than the gamers enjoyment, which is a shame, as the likes of PP, Wyrd, Battle Front, etc. have shown that even without treating your fans like excrement, you can succeed.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I looked at the comments and and one said "all dressed up and head into the woods for a weekend to pretend to be members of the Imperium and the numerous enemies and run around shooting each other with our boltguns (nerf guns in reality!)." I laughed at this, then realised how much fun it sounded.
I agree with Gareth on his point, i used to adore the games workshop games but i got put off by the way the company was running things which is a shame because id love to go back to fielding imperial guard for 40k and high elves for fantasy, some of the rules in the current 40k i thought were ridiculous so i just didnt bother, lets see if the next one is any better.

And to Toby there are some LARP events that do do futuristic nerf type combat, dont know if theres any based on GW but there is a couple of sci-fi ones knocking around, LARPing is an awesome hobby which ive done in the past and really enjoy, i fully intend to do it again in future.