Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fantasy Movement Trays Magnetizing
Photo 
Ironically today I thought I would do a tutorial on Fantasy Movment trays, and Total Wargamer do a Blog post on it too. However here is a picture based tutorial for you to glance over.

First off I use GW Movement tray available at most places including surprisingly GW themselves. The 20mm and 25 mm scores on the trays are perfect for working out Tray size.
Secondly we need our materials, and I get mine from OG Games. I use their 2mm magnets, and Flex o Metal sheet. The magnets are powerful, and the metal sheet is easy to cut, and if self adhesive, meaning it fits onto the trays quite easily. On top of that you need some Super Glue, and Milliput. Normally I use "Green Stuff" as I find Milliput leaves a residue on my hands, although Green Stuff does stick to tools and hands, as well as being more expensive.

Tools
[Image: img0239jh.jpg]

Magnet Size
[Image: img0238qb.jpg]

Next mix your Milliput and rip of some 5mm balls.
[Image: img0240gy.jpg]

Apply some Super Glue to the base of your model and push your Milliput ball onto the Glue
[Image: img0241qd.jpg]

Apply a spot of glue onto your Milliput and push in your magnet. Once this is done I tend to push the model down on a spare wall tile, so that I know it will sit flush with the movement tray.
[Image: img0242jc.th.jpg]

Occasionally the magnet will spred the Milliput out, when you push it in
[Image: img0243h.th.jpg]

When it happens use a sculpting tool, or the bottom of a paint brush handle, to push the Milliput flush with the magnet.
[Image: img0244zxz.th.jpg]

Next cut your movement tray to size. Personally mine over lap (see the Archers 200mm x 80mm and Tomb Guard 140mm x 120mm,) so I can add Characters or change unit formation. I also choose to leave the edging sections off the trays, as when magnatized the models will not move, and it allows trays to sit ontop of each other when in combat. That and the fact that the edge sections have a 2mm lip around the edge of the base.
[Image: img0245a.jpg]

Cut your metal sheet to size, and attach it to to the movment tray. You can then paint it, or fully base it to fit your minature bases.
[Image: img0246wz.th.jpg]

[Image: img0247ry.th.jpg]

Once thats all done you have a movement tray and a unit that can easily be help upside down.
[Image: img0248n.th.jpg]

[Image: img0249pf.th.jpg]

And here are some metal Tomb Guard enjoying magnetising.
[Image: img0252u.th.jpg]
That's nice work - it's great to see tutorials like that on here.

I have a little magnet based project in mind to allow the side sponsons on Luke's Imperial Guard Baneblade to be repositioned between the optimum aesthetic and firing positions. This is but one project on an ever increasing list unfortunately Smile
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Nice Post Gareth.

I've been using steel paper and flexible magnetic sheets for years. (Too tight to buy the foam cases as I'd rather spend the money on figures).

Rare earth magnetics are relatively new to me, but they work a treat on the underside of bases (and for keeping tank turrets in place). The steel paper was good, but does have a tendacy to slide of the bases slightly and makes it tricky sometimes to get figures in and out of movement trays.

I've been buying stuff of this guy for years (although it's a different chap now to who used to run it):

http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

(Stu, might want to add this one to the supplier list)

I agree with you about milliput, and tend to use some of those disposable plastic gloves when handling it. The advantage with milliput is that it's generally less sticky than the green stuff (Depending on the mix u use of course), and I've found it takes longer to set hard so gives you more time to work with.

Si
(21-04-2011, 02:50 PM)Simon Wrote: http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

(Stu, might want to add this one to the supplier list)

Done Smile

Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Many thanks for this. definitely going to give this a go. For storage/carriage I am using £7 boxes from Wickes the compartments of which are high enough for figures to stand up. Comparment widths are enough for a three deep base and length is up to you, so very flexible. basically I have my army standing on its movement trays ready to take out and play. The only down side is a few figures can/do fall over in transit, not really a problem, and can be a bit fiddly putting them away and getting them out. This will absolutely sort that out... excellent stuff.
Magnets and sticky-back metal has arrived...

...started doing bases. Works a treat. Love it!
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill