Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to start?
I've been playing Magic the Gathering 2012 on PC and decided I really want to get a deck so I can play. Can anyone suggest a good way to start. I've been looking at getting the Magic the Gathering 2011: Deck Builders Toolkit. Is this a good idea?
40k- Orks Infinity- Ariadna (ballard choice) Magic the Gathering
Sean (ME): "I wonder how many nails I can get in this box?"
Sean simple answer is it depends. What is your goal, and how do people want to play. If it's for fun, with an extended pool of cards, the deck builder is ok, as for a small outlay, you get a mix of cards. However now the core set has changed to 2012, and therefore if you are playing Standard (or type 2) then only cards from the current base set, and anything from the current expansion block and the previous expansion block are allowed. so some of the cards you will find in the deck builders set will not be type 2 legal.
I am getting back into it, by going to TWG limited tournaments. You pay for a few boosters, and get some cards to build a deck with, and everyone has this limited pool. Wizards are currently producing some Event decks. These are themed decks, with a mix of Standard legal cards, and a sideboard, which if you fancied playing a type 2 standard tournament, would get you in. They are not by any means optimal, but can give you a place to start tinkering and tuning a deck from.

Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Like Gaz said, how do you want to play: Tournaments, Casual, FNM (Friday Night Magic) or just have some real cards?

The Deckbuilding Kit is kool and a good way to get some cards and get in to the game but what you want to get out of the hobby from there really alters what you do next.

Total Wargamer is a good, friendly and causal way to play on a Friday night so I'd heartedly recommend that to start with.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
I just want to play casually. I think I will get this MTG M12 Starter Deck - Mystical Might
40k- Orks Infinity- Ariadna (ballard choice) Magic the Gathering
Sean (ME): "I wonder how many nails I can get in this box?"