Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salute 2012 - Saturday 21st April
''this would probably involve beer'' say no more would be happy to do it if u want
(12-09-2011, 01:19 PM)Stuart Wrote:
(12-09-2011, 11:24 AM)manrogue Wrote: Any idea on when we will start the terrain building for all the up coming events? Anxious to get started! Tongue

Might be worth having a kick-off sesh one evening at the club to discuss and sketch some ideas?

Smart idea and with all things, if you delay it will soon be upon you. However games at the club, usually run close to time, so I would suggest an outside of Tuesday meet. Rach suggested a 'get to know you' session in the past that seemed popular. May I bring that up again, with a meet somewhere before hand to decide on the table set up, and then head off for the curry which was proving popular afterwards, for the g2ky session. I would also wait a week or two, until after the Gloucester chaps visit, so you can ask what they are really after.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Ok. Some thoughts..

Maybe concentrating on a Cutlass game for Salute now..

I've gone through the rules and it all looks relatively straight forward and also picked up a few ideas for how to start thinking about planning a board from Dave Bodley at Grand Manner.

If we have a 6x5 layout we could effectively have two 3x4 boards. I've done a couple of sketches for these boards.

Board 1 would be a Port area, lighthouse and a boat in the harbour.
Board 2 would be a Governors residence with a barracks for the redcoats, and a plantation with a plantation residence linked directly to board 1 by a road and maybe a river.

It states that a game lasts around 2 hours, so if the show runs from 10-5 we have around 7 hours to fill !

If we allowed 2 hours per game on each board, and run the whole thing twice, that's 8 hours.

That sound great. After you mentiond a possible "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme I started to look at Port Royal (although the location used in the film itself is Saint Vincent).

Splitting the board into two is a great idea, giving us a large showpiece board for events such as Salute, but then smaller boards for club use on which to play scenarios.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
If you're interested in Port Royal, then take a look here

I looked at this last night and was initially put off by the fact that its all town, hardly any other terrain.

Here is a bigger map of the wider area.

This site has plenty of old maps that could be useful.

Theres also a wiki page here

It does look like it would be better suited to a game of Infinity - plenty of opportunities for blocking LoS!

If you do want to go with a PotC theme then perhaps it might be worth taking a look at some stills from the film just for inspiration. I may fire up the DVD tonight thinking about it...
For the game itself, I would suggest having 2 warbands on each side.

Let's say the story is that the governor is hold up in his residence with a large shipment of gold along with his daughter.

The local pirates have heard about this and want the gold for their own and the daughter as ransom. Human pirates and dwarves have parlayed, joined forces and are already in the town planning an attack.

They are surprised by 2 warbands of undead and orcs/goblins coming in from the harbour who want to take the booty for themselves. Realising that they probably couldnt take the booty themselves they have also joined forces.

So board 1 is the fight between the dwarves and the human pirates vs undead and orcs/goblins in the lower town.

Whoever wins that fight goes onto the second board, Governors residence and plantation.

Here the governor calls on the marines and privateers (the brethren) to fight the incoming pirates.

I'll expand on this as and when..

This would give us 2 ppl per side and maybe 2 ppl loitering with intent, bringing us up to the 6 ppl allowed for the demo game (we can buy extra passes).

For the second game we just reverse it around, with the undead/orcs goblins in the town and the dwarves humans attacking from the ships.
(16-09-2011, 10:46 AM)Stuart Wrote: It does look like it would be better suited to a game of Infinity - plenty of opportunities for blocking LoS!

If you do want to go with a PotC theme then perhaps it might be worth taking a look at some stills from the film just for inspiration. I may fire up the DVD tonight thinking about it...

The LoS rule in Cutlass seems ok. At least 25% of the model must be in view to the sighter otherwise you can't see it. You only have to mark some parts of the board as area cover and decide how much cover it gives any model who's in it. Could be interesting for swampy areas or jungle plantation. I know the hide action bumps this up to 50% minimum.
You know you want to 8¬)

Trouble is, I'd end up looking like Adam Ant.

shame this one is in the US.
(16-09-2011, 11:34 AM)Simon Wrote: You know you want to 8¬)

Trouble is, I'd end up looking like Adam Ant.

shame this one is in the US.

Can we hire a parrot for the day?