Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloucester MiniCon 2012 Warmachine Table
Working on the assumption that the club will be hosting (at least) a Warmachine table at the Gloucester event in January, it's probably worth kicking off a thread to start discussing what sort of board/scenery/terrain we want to take along, and then to record progress.

As discussed at the meeting last night it might be good to base the scene on some piece of Iron Kingdoms background story, and Justin and Mike had some suggestions I think.

What do you think to total board size - are we looking at 4' x 4', perhaps in sections of 2' x 4' or 2' x 2' for ease of storage and transport?
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Definitely a 4' by 4' (as i'll be looking at doing 25pt games) and having it in 2' by 2' boards would be a great idea. Terrain wise, ideally we'd be looking to do a small town possibly khadoran, with a stream and bridge on the board somewhere, there's a guide of how to do a khadoran inn on the privateer website so may use that for inspiration to make some buildings.
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

Personally if we are making one decent show board, I would suggest making a modular piece. Probably pink insulation foam attatched to several pieces of wood. Then you can work in not only hills and mounds, but also trenches, rivers and ponds. Always appears better when a table goes down aswell as up.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(31-08-2011, 07:26 PM)stygmatyr Wrote: Definitely a 4' by 4' (as i'll be looking at doing 25pt games) and having it in 2' by 2' boards would be a great idea. Terrain wise, ideally we'd be looking to do a small town possibly khadoran, with a stream and bridge on the board somewhere, there's a guide of how to do a khadoran inn on the privateer website so may use that for inspiration to make some buildings.

Sounds cool, would there also be some artwork somewhere in the books we could reference? Sounds like we could have a dabble with some water effects.

(31-08-2011, 07:27 PM)Gareth Wrote: Probably pink insulation foam attatched to several pieces of wood.

We've got some of that kicking around at home, and can mount it on 9mm MDF - the same thickness we use at the club, and plenty sturdy enough in 2' squares (can always brace it with 1.5" batons too).

There should be some artwork in the books, though it would be mainly background as the characters and jacks take pride of place in the foreground. It's a steampunk setting, so industrial age/victorian era buildings would easily suit. As long as we put our heads together on this we can make this look awesome, i know vince will have some tips we could use
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

(31-08-2011, 07:26 PM)stygmatyr Wrote: ...there's a guide of how to do a khadoran inn on the privateer website so may use that for inspiration to make some buildings.

That looks awesome: http://privateerpress.com/hobby/hobby-blog/khadoran-inn

Some more inspiration from the contest mentioned on the page above: http://privateerpress.com/hobby/hobby-bl...est-winner
Might be worth giving the Terrain Studio videos on RHQTV a watch. Shawn was taking people through creating a modular tile set, mainly for Flames of War, but the principles might be of some use.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Some beautiful bits of WARMAHORDES terrain on this Senji Studios site. Scrolling down, I found some really interesting bits of faction based scenery. Might just be worth looking at for a bit of inspiration for the table.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
We have a pallet of foam spacers at work that we don't use anymore that i am planning to raid and take home gradually(boss was glad i offered to take them off his hands!) that may be of use for a set gaming board.
I'm more than happy to help out with any terrain building you guys need, just let me know. Can do the river pieces and bridge if you like? If have till January should be able to put something quite good out i hope!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Right, I've started on an ancient Menoth Temple for our table. It's covered in still slightly wet filler right now, so is waiting to be sprayed. When it is finally sprayed, I will definately get some pics posted.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)