Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expanding the Fleet
After playing a couple of games with Vince using my starter set, I'm tempted to buy the UCM battlefleet box and use it to expand up to 1250 points, was wondering if anyone could see any obvious holes in this list that I hadn't spotted, as I'm still getting used to the fleet organization stuff.

Vanguard Battlegroup

Perth Battlecruiser (with an AV4 Vice Admiral)
2x Lima Frigates

Vanguard Battlegroup

Moscow Heavy Cruiser
Madrid Cruiser

Pathfinder Battlegroup

4x Taipei Missile Frigates
3x Santiago Corvettes

Pathfinder Battlegroup

San-Fransisco Troopship
2x New Orleans Strike Carriers
2x New Orleans Strike Carriers

Line Battlegroup

Berlin Cruiser
Seattle Fleet Carrier

It all totals 1249 points, it's mostly just the UCM starter fleet with some added bits, so it has a little bit of everything.
(20-08-2018, 08:03 PM)Nick Wrote: …. was wondering if anyone could see any obvious holes in this list that I hadn't spotted, as I'm still getting used to the fleet organization stuff.

you've only got five battlegroups in that list. I would rearrange it to make six which will give you a lower SR for some of the groups.

Apart from that it looks like a nice fleet to build as your first 1250pts as it covers all the bases and will let you find your preferred groove of playing Big Grin
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

I'd echo what Will has said. Perhaps try re-arranging the groups so the Taipei's are in a group of their own ,and can do a last turn/first turn activation to get the jump on people. They're insanely effective at nuking a lone cruiser.

Also, RE: the limas, they seem good on paper and I've always wanted to run some myself, but a lot of people eschew them for more New Orleans and just let the New Orleans do active scans instead. Not speaking from experience there, just what I've seen lots of people do for some reason.
Warhammer 40K (Astra Militarum & CSM/1KSons/Daemons) | AoS (Daemons of Chaos) | Dropfleet Commander (UCM) 
Models painted in 2017: 74
Models painted in 2018: 45
Models painted in 2019: 55
(21-08-2018, 09:01 AM)Agent0range Wrote: I'd echo what Will has said.  Perhaps try re-arranging the groups so the Taipei's are in a group of their own ,and can do a last turn/first turn activation to get the jump on people.  They're insanely effective at nuking a lone cruiser.

Also, RE: the limas, they seem good on paper and I've always wanted to run some myself, but a lot of people eschew them for more New Orleans and just let the New Orleans do active scans instead.  Not speaking from experience there, just what I've seen lots of people do for some reason.

I was sitting on the fence about replacing the Limas with either some Jakartas to protect the Flagship, or more Taipeis.
Looks like a good starting point - I'd second what Will said, you generally want the maximum amount of groups possibly to allow you lower SR in the groups, thus a higher chance of choosing to activate or not.

The only changes I would suggest is that you're quite low on drop - at 1250 you probably want at least 2 more Strike Carriers. You could swap the Limas out as Alan notes, they make good discount scanners early in the game and move to drop troops as the fleets close.

Using those ships as base, I'd probably run this as a list;

--------------------------------------
UCM Test - 1249pts
UCM - 3 launch assets
SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (269pts)
1 x Perth - 195pts - H
   + UCM Vice-Admiral (40pts, 4AV)
2 x Lima - 74pts - L

SR15 Vanguard battlegroup (295pts)
1 x Moscow - 163pts - H
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR9 Line battlegroup (239pts)
1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (184pts)
1 x Madrid - 79pts - M
1 x Berlin - 105pts - M

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (66pts)
3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (156pts)
4 x Taipei - 156pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------

Switching the San Francisco group into a Line group allows you to move the corvettes into a Pathfinder Group by themselves. Moved the Moscow in with the Seattle as there's a command card that gives the Mass Drivers extra shots.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
So if I got rid of the Limas in favour of more strike carriers, where would you recommend I put them in the fleet organisation? In with the Berlin and Madrid? Or keep them in the same battlegroup with the Perth?

I might not be as quick to expand the fleet as i thought, as I can't seem to find any UCM Battlefleet boxes in stock anywhere. Might have to order things separately, and that's getting pricey
Hi Nick

If you're having trouble getting models or don't know quite what you want to build permanently yet, I'm more than happy to bring down some of my UCM stuff for you to try out either playing against me or even I'm doing a different game but you want to use them against someone else you've arranged a game with. Several people did this for me when I started playing and it saves you building several ships you may end up not wanting to use.

George
(21-08-2018, 01:08 PM)Nick Wrote: So if I got rid of the Limas in favour of more strike carriers, where would you recommend I put them in the fleet organisation? In with the Berlin and Madrid? Or keep them in the same battlegroup with the Perth?

I might not be as quick to expand the fleet as i thought, as I can't seem to find any UCM Battlefleet boxes in stock anywhere. Might have to order things separately, and that's getting pricey

Maybe in with the Perth - you'll probably be bring it on early most games anyway as it has your admiral in.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement