Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for an enthusiastic beginner please
Thanks ms Luke, I'm gonna order it all now! Any advice on what glue and other assembly tools I will need? I've only worked with metal minis before...

(18-06-2017, 09:56 PM)LukeR Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 09:24 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi Luke, I'm totally sold on UCM - it scratches my Battlestar itch. If you were in my position - and you had £200 to spend what would you buy? It's burning a hole in my pocket! :-)

(18-06-2017, 08:48 PM)LukeR Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 05:06 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi All, after visiting UKGE and seeing the Hawk stand, followed by a quick look at the tournament tables, I'm going all in on Dropfleet. Jason tells me the club players won and placed at the tournament so I was hoping for some advice. I'll be buying the two player starter set but eventually want to compete at the 1250 range. Anyone recommend what else I should be ordering for UCM to reach that level?

Second Will's comment - it's worth playing a few games to get a feel for what style you want to play.

As a fellow UCM player, I'm not entirely sold on Battleships and prefer the Battlecruisers, but that's just me.

The starter set plus an additional starter fleet would be a good starting point - you would have enough to play a 1000 game which would be a good starting point - then you can play a few games and get a feel for what you like.

Command cards would be good as well.

I love the UCM Carriers personally - the Seattle is a great ship as is the Atlantis Battlecruiser.

If you want to go with the Battlestar theme then the New York Battleship seems fittings, it's got a scary amount of launch...
(19-06-2017, 07:17 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks ms Luke, I'm gonna order it all now! Any advice on what glue and other assembly tools I will need? I've only worked with metal minis before...

(18-06-2017, 09:24 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi Luke, I'm totally sold on UCM - it scratches my Battlestar itch. If you were in my position - and you had £200 to spend what would you buy? It's burning a hole in my pocket! :-)

(18-06-2017, 08:48 PM)LukeR Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 05:06 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Hi All, after visiting UKGE and seeing the Hawk stand, followed by a quick look at the tournament tables, I'm going all in on Dropfleet. Jason tells me the club players won and placed at the tournament so I was hoping for some advice. I'll be buying the two player starter set but eventually want to compete at the 1250 range. Anyone recommend what else I should be ordering for UCM to reach that level?

Second Will's comment - it's worth playing a few games to get a feel for what style you want to play.

As a fellow UCM player, I'm not entirely sold on Battleships and prefer the Battlecruisers, but that's just me.

The starter set plus an additional starter fleet would be a good starting point - you would have enough to play a 1000 game which would be a good starting point - then you can play a few games and get a feel for what you like.

I love the UCM Carriers personally - the Seattle is a great ship as is the Atlantis Battlecruiser.

If you want to go with the Battlestar theme then the New York Battleship seems fittings, it's got a scary amount of launch...

You'll need superglue if you decide to go with the Battleship as it's Resin.

Other than that Clippers, a Craft Knife/ Small File for cleaning the Mould Lines and other bits off.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
(19-06-2017, 07:31 PM)LukeR Wrote:
(19-06-2017, 07:17 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote: Thanks ms Luke, I'm gonna order it all now! Any advice on what glue and other assembly tools I will need? I've only worked with metal minis before...

(18-06-2017, 08:48 PM)LukeR Wrote: Second Will's comment - it's worth playing a few games to get a feel for what style you want to play.

You'll need superglue if you decide to go with the Battleship as it's Resin.

Other than that Clippers, a Craft Knife/ Small File for cleaning the Mould Lines and other bits off.

Thanks Luke - I went without the battleship in the end - followed the group's advice and bought the two player starter set, UCM starter fleet, and command cards. Really looking forward to reading the rulebook and all the fluff!

On the kit I already have clippers, files and super glue so it looks like I'm all set - had read a few posts where people mentioned plastic cement but I'm guessing from what you've said that I can ignore that. Also been watching a few vids on magnetising. Is that a common thing? I've not done that before.
My opinions are quite similar to Luke's, the Battleship is a little tricky to make work in smaller point value games, which 1250 is at the top end of. The carriers are great, the Seattle is by far and away consistently the best performing ship in my fleet. I usually take two now, with an Atlantis for a flagship if I can fit it in!

If you're comfortable doing it, I'd highly recommend magnetising all of the guns on the UCM ships - officially so you can swap them around between games but unofficially so you can swivel them round in game to point at your enemy haha
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
You'll need plastic glue for the plastic ships, much better than using superglue on them. I use revell contacta professional glue, pretty cheap, available everywhere (eg Amazon) and has a thin applicator.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(20-06-2017, 06:57 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: My opinions are quite similar to Luke's, the Battleship is a little tricky to make work in smaller point value games, which 1250 is at the top end of. The carriers are great, the Seattle is by far and away consistently the best performing ship in my fleet. I usually take two now, with an Atlantis for a flagship if I can fit it in!

If you're comfortable doing it, I'd highly recommend magnetising all of the guns on the UCM ships - officially so you can swap them around between games but unofficially so you can swivel them round in game to point at your enemy haha

Thanks - I'll definitely do that then. What size magnets do you recommend? And how do you drill the holes? Hand drill and a vice?
Cheers - Amazon are sending it now!

(20-06-2017, 08:13 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: You'll need plastic glue for the plastic ships, much better than using superglue on them. I use revell contacta professional glue, pretty cheap, available everywhere (eg Amazon) and has a thin applicator.
(20-06-2017, 12:56 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote:
(20-06-2017, 06:57 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote: My opinions are quite similar to Luke's, the Battleship is a little tricky to make work in smaller point value games, which 1250 is at the top end of. The carriers are great, the Seattle is by far and away consistently the best performing ship in my fleet. I usually take two now, with an Atlantis for a flagship if I can fit it in!

Thanks - I'll definitely do that then. What size magnets do you recommend? And how do you drill the holes? Hand drill and a vice?

Hi Adam, I used 2mm x 1mm N50 Neodymium Rare Earth Strong Disc Magnets, loads of them on eBay and cheap too. I personally use a dremmel with a 2mm drill bit but I've achieved the same results in the past with a standard hand drill too.
Magic the Gathering

(21-06-2017, 10:02 PM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote:
(20-06-2017, 12:56 PM)Adam Duckett Wrote:

Hi Adam, I used 2mm x 1mm N50 Neodymium Rare Earth Strong Disc Magnets, loads of them on eBay and cheap too. I personally use a dremmel with a 2mm drill bit but I've achieved the same results in the past with a standard hand drill too.

Thanks jjakaalbinoboy - magnets are on their way. I have a hand drill but a dremel looks like a better solution. Do you put magnets on both sides or a magnet on one side and say a thin sliver of metal on the other?
You can get away with either but as long as there is space, I usually use a magnet on both sides.
Magic the Gathering