Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New edition of SAGA
Tony, thanks for the two games yesterday, they were very bloody!

I was having a look at the Viking supplement and there are a number of factions that can be almost entirely mounted:
The Welsh, The Normans (Bretons), The Carolingians, The Lombards (whuch use the Goth battleboard from Aetius and Arthur), The Steppe Peoples (using the Hun board) or The Umayyads (Moorish board from Age of Crusades - yet to be published).

Also, some of the Swords for Hire units are mounted (Breton Cavalry and Steppe Nomads) which can be used in Anglo-Dane and Viking forces respectively.

Personally I might add the Shieldmaiden Mercenaries - a Valkyrie and 5 Shieldmaidens sound epic if I can find some suitable models!

Also, I just noticed you can now spend 2 of your opponents fatigue to completely cancel one of their activations.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(07-03-2018, 01:35 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Personally I might add the Shieldmaiden Mercenaries - a Valkyrie and 5 Shieldmaidens sound epic if I can find some suitable models!

I think I've seen some shieldmaiden figures, possibly over at Bad Squiddo.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(07-03-2018, 01:35 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Tony, thanks for the two games yesterday, they were very bloody!

I was having a look at the Viking supplement and there are a number of factions that can be almost entirely mounted:
The Welsh, The Normans (Bretons), The Carolingians, The Lombards (whuch use the Goth battleboard from Aetius and Arthur), The Steppe Peoples (using the Hun board) or The Umayyads (Moorish board from Age of Crusades - yet to be published).

Also, some of the Swords for Hire units are mounted (Breton Cavalry and Steppe Nomads) which can be used in Anglo-Dane and Viking forces respectively.

Personally I might add the Shieldmaiden Mercenaries - a Valkyrie and 5 Shieldmaidens sound epic if I can find some suitable models!

Also, I just noticed you can now spend 2 of your opponents fatigue to completely cancel one of their activations.
They were bloody but enjoyable!

I think I might look at getting some Breton mercenaries to go with the Anglo Danes in the short term with possibly a view to trying Breton/Normans in the medium term.
Plus I will learn more of the rules!
LotR SBG - Isengard, Gondor, Dwarves; Bolt Action US Airborne, German Heer; SAGA - Anglo Danish; Dropfleet Commander - UCM, PHR
New rules (very thin) and Age of Vikings (also look a bit skinny for the £30) arrived today. But I am sure will be worth the money!
Will be looking to play in the near future...

Update:
New rules - it's all in there. Seems very well set out. Some of the wording has left me failing to understand certain points, but generally worth every penny of the £10.
Age of Vikings - This is where they plan on making their money I guess? Nice (but thin) book to cover the various army choices and army specific rules 2-3 pages per army, additional rules on mercenaries, etc. and 12 battle boards for £30 Feels a bit steep, I'd have been happier at £25. But it's probably fair enough as good quality.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Played a game of this at Kidderminster at the weekend. The Anglo Saxons with large units were a bit fearsome. However the rules seem to flow nicely.
LotR SBG - Isengard, Gondor, Dwarves; Bolt Action US Airborne, German Heer; SAGA - Anglo Danish; Dropfleet Commander - UCM, PHR
After finally getting around to playing a game, I really like the system. 

I'll probably end up picking up some stuff over the next couple of months.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
Nice one Luke! Another Saga player is always good!

thanks for the link about the shieldmaidens Stu
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I have some Saga that has been used once in 3 years so I would be interested in some games.
DZC: UCM
DFC: UCM and PHR
Saga: Gall Gaidheal
Bolt Action: Heer Panzergrens
Warzone: Capitol
Epic: Orks and Marines
Necromunda, Mordheim, BFG, Frostgrave..basically anything that isn't 40K or the abomination that is Age of Sigmar.
Updated Aetius & Arthur rules for 2nd edition free as a download here: http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/dl/saga2_...ate_en.pdf

Can also be bought for a fiver for a limited time if you want a physical copy of changes to boards: https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Aetius__...-5542.html

Also, Saga age of crusades now up for pre-order if anyone is interested in the crusades period: https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SRB22_SA...-5544.html