Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferred paints?
Hey guys

Just wondering what peoples preferred paints are for their respective games?
Any brands you'd reccomend above others and any you'd avoid like a drunken dwarf slayer who's pints just been spilled?

Myself i like a few different brands, I like vallejo paints for their ingenious 'dropper' bottles which helps me when i want to mix a certain shade

I like privateer press' P3 paints for their solid colour and easy coverage much like the citadel foundation range, but with a larger colour palette to choose from

which brings me to the GW paints, i'm a big fan of their inks and washes and pleased with the foundation range but despite the best range of colours in their standard paints i feel like they're not quite as good as the other brands for ease of coverage and solidness of colour, needing 3-4 coats to get a nice flat colour compared to 1-2 coats with the vallejo and P3.
But then thats just my preferences and my painting style

WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

I've not ventured far from the GW range of paints yet, but I'd be interested in recommendations for others to try. I wonder if anyone has knocked up a chart of equivalent colours from different ranges?
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Whilst buying paints for FoW and already having the Citadel paint set, I did some searching round to see if there was a comparison between Vallejo and Citadel (in an attempt to avoid buying all the FoW paints).

One chart I found useful was this one:

Paint Comparison Guide

Not used the Vallejo paints in anger yet. Lots of 15mm preperation before I get them out.

Si
(11-04-2011, 11:31 AM)Simon Wrote: One chart I found useful was this one:

Paint Comparison Guide

Nice find! I wonder if the Hobby Hut in Headless Cross stocks any non-GW paints?

Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I'm pretty sure the only other paints Mark stocks are suitable for the RC cars etc, the enamel ones, last time I popped in to take a look. There was plenty of GW paints but I didn't see any Vallejo etc.

That paint comparison list is fantastic, thank you for sharing such an amazing resource! Painting is the one aspect of the hobby where my skills are non-existent but the list will help with picking up the right colours between ranges.
I picked up a Maga Paint Set last Xmas, but I do wish they would have moved onto Vallejo droppers, for the same reason as Stygmatyr. But with all of the Citadel range at my disposal, I can't see me moving onto anything else for a good while.
I'm the same as Dad, Stuart. The only other miniature paints I've got lying around my room are old Arfix ones. But I would be interseted to see what other people use as I know that some people use different stuff like some of the many choices from the Hobby Hut, in Headless Cross. I find it easier to use GW tutorials then aswell as they always use GW paints (duuur) so you don't have to go round looking for paints that match their's but apparently the other paint manufactorers can produce some really nice colours and finishes, so any reccomendations would be welcome.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)