Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan's Tournament Diary
So I'm thinking of starting a new army that I can take to tournaments, has some competitive bite, but also is a little simpler to play and has a bit less variability (without relying on specific psychic powers). I stumbled across a list a while ago that won a GT in the US back in November, and someone ran something similar at LVO recently and came 12th. The list I'm thinking of is as follows:

Source 1 - Talon Strike Force
Core - Battle Demi Company

Captain in Cataphractii Terminator armour and storm shield
5 man tac squad with melta/combi melta in drop pod
5 man tac squad with flamer/combi flamer in drop pod
5 man tac squad in rhino
Attack bike with heavy bolter
Devastators with grav cannons in drop pod

Aux - Raptor Wing
2x Stormtalons with missile upgrades
1 landspeeder.

Aux Shadowstrike Kill team
2x 5 Scouts with combi grav
2x 5 Vanguard Veterans with 2x powerfists and meltabomb in each squad

Source 2 - White Scars Allied Detachment
Librarian with Hunters Eye
Scouts in Landspeeder storm

Source 3 - Inquisitorial Detachment
Coteaz
Ordo Xenos with 3x Servo Skulls

The talon strike force allows me to re-roll who deploys first, and table sides, and can start coming in from reserve on turn 1 on a 4+

The shadowstrike kill team allows you to choose to pass or fail the reserve roll and when deep striking within 9" of the scouts, the vanguard vets don't scatter and then charge the turn they arrive.

The raptor talon formation arrive automatically in turn 2, and enemy units within 18" of the landspeeder give the stormtalons the ability to re-roll pens and wounds and re-roll glances. Got about 60-70 points to play with, so could fit something in there. Maybe shave off some points for a thunderfire cannon, or add a whirlwind.....or another speeder or something for more objective grabbing.

The librarian with hunters eye and captain with storm shield go in the pod with the grav cents, and drop down and kill stuff. The cataphractii confers slow and purposeful (I think?)

It looks like a really fun and tactical army where I've got the option of null deploying and a fair amount of the army having a chance to come in on turn 1 onwards, or later on if I want to (shadowstrike can choose when to pass/fail). It's also simple to play, as it's just marine bodies and bros essentially without being dull like a full battle company. It's got some sneakyness and options to it while not being too reliant on having the right things go off...so I can focus more on the mission and task at hand rather than continually evaluating and trying to work out what psychic power combos will keep my star alive and do damage to the enemy. I'm also hoping it's a wolf in sheeps clothing sort of list, with no obvious right hook type move to it (other than grav devs).

What do you all think?
Warhammer 40K (Astra Militarum & CSM/1KSons/Daemons) | AoS (Daemons of Chaos) | Dropfleet Commander (UCM) 
Models painted in 2017: 74
Models painted in 2018: 45
Models painted in 2019: 55

Messages In This Thread
Alan's Tournament Diary - by Agent0range - 21-08-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by Agent0range - 21-08-2016, 01:26 PM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by Agent0range - 21-08-2016, 01:30 PM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by Embolden - 22-08-2016, 06:58 AM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by will - 22-08-2016, 10:01 AM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by Agent0range - 22-08-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by CheZZoR - 22-08-2016, 02:59 PM
RE: Alan's Tournament Diary - by Agent0range - 27-12-2016, 02:19 PM