Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robs tournament diary
Hi guys,

So I've played 3 games over the past 2 weeks,

The first two were with test lists, before game 3 where I finally nailed down the list ready for the GT next weekend!

GAME1 vs Wolves/Tau
My opponent brought a combat Wolf Army, 2x5 Wulfen, 2x Iron Priests on Wolves, 2x3 Thunderwolf squads nd a Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Wolf, backed by a Tau formation of 2x3 Broadsides with all the missiles/sms and a Riptide with Ion and SMS.

I wasn't sure how to play against this army, I needed to get close with the Warp Spiders, but stay away from the combat elements of his list, which is basically impossible. In the end I decided to sacrifice the Warp Spiders for the Tau elements while the Windriders chipped away at the wolf stuff. Using a mix of deep strike and reserve, plus deploying a lot of stuff, I managed to do just this, with the Warp Spiders ganging up on the Broadsides first, before dealing a couple of wounds to the Riptide before finishing it off with Windriders.

I tabled my opponent turn4, for the loss of 4/6 Warp Spider units and a few other bits of pieces of Windrider units.

20-0 WIN

GAME2 vs Raven Guard Space Marines
My opponent was testing out a crazy idea, it's essentially 2x Raptor wings (2x2 Storm Talons and 2x1 Landspeeders) and a formation of 1x Storm Raven, 2x Storm Talons, with a Demi Company, of Chaplain, 3x5 Space Marines, Dreadnought, Attack Bike, with allied Skitari formation (2x5 dudes) a Bastion with Comms.

Using the Raven Guard special rules, the flyers can arrive turn1 on a 4+ (with Comms relay support)

Again, I wasn't sure how to play this game, I've not faced flyer spam in a LONG time. So I deployed just the D-Cannons, Farseer (with invis), Culexus, Bastion and the Wraithknight.

My opponent going first killed all but the Culexus on the Comms Relay by the end of his turn2 before my stuff arrived from reserve.. in turn 1 my opponent had Firstblood, Warlord, 4 Kill Points and 4 Maelstrom pts for a 10-0 lead!

I was then just playing for points and did okay, downing a couple of flyers, killing all but 2 marines from the ground stuff (annoyingly they were holding an objective and refused to die). I clawed my way back into the game with Maelstrom and clawing back a few Kps from his ground targets and finally I was sat on 3 objectives at the end of turn7. But my opponent had a big lead and managed to draw good set of Maelstrom late game meaning I didn't get back into the game much as I was gaining a maelstrom, then losing a KP.

14-6 LOSS

Before going into GAME3 I needed to settle on a list, so I opted with the below list, a variant of the lists I have been using in the previous two games.

Army Points Total: 1848

Primary Detachment: Craftworld Eldar Combined Arms Detachment:

HQ1: Farseer (100) Skyrunner (15) [115]

Troop1: Windriders (51) 3 Scatter Lasers (30) [81]
Troop2: Windriders (51) 3 Scatter Lasers (30) [81]
Troop3: Windriders (51) 3 Scatter Lasers (30) [81]
Troop4: Windriders (51) 3 Scatter Lasers (30) [81]
Troop5: Windriders (51) 3 Scatter Lasers (30) [81]
Troop6: Windriders (51) 1 Additional Windrider (17) 4 Scatter Lasers (40) [108]

Fast Attack1: Warp Spiders (95) Exarch (10) [105]
Fast Attack2: Warp Spiders (95) Exarch (10) [105]

Heavy Support1: Vauls Weapon Battery (30) D-Cannon (25) [55]
Heavy Support2: Vauls Weapon Battery (30) D-Cannon (25) [55]

Lord of War1: Wraithknight (295) Heavy Wraithcannons (0) 2 Scatter Lasers (30) [325]

Fortification1: Imperial Bastion (75) Comms Relay (20) Escape Hatch (25) [120]

Secondary Detachment: Assassinorum Detachment:
Elite1: Culexus Assassin [140]

Tertiary Detachment: Craftworld Eldar Aspect Host:
Fast Attack3: Warp Spiders (95) Exarch (10) [105]
Fast Attack4: Warp Spiders (95) Exarch (10) [105]
Fast Attack5: Warp Spiders (95) Exarch (10) [105]

GAME3: vs Flying Nids

So my last practice game before next weekend and opponent is rocking Flying Nids, a tough match up for me so it should be a good game to test this lists metal.

My opponent took: CAD with 2 Flyrants, 3x Mucolid Spores and a Voidshield with 2 Shields, and a formation or two? Anyway its contained 2 Flyrants, 2 Harpies, 2 Crones and 30 Gargoyles (Crones/Harpies might be in the CAD??? he didn't have his list written down).

My opponent won the important roll of who went first, taking it, so he deployed all but his Warlord Tyrant and a Spore (deep strike).
I then deployed the Farseer in a unit of Windriders, on the Comms Relay, Wraithknight and 2 D-Cannons deploy aggressively, with the Culexus towards the left flank.

Basically the game is pretty much me scoring Maelstrom and hiding from the Tyrants/jinking the Harpies Venom Cannons, basically, being pain. While chipping away where I can, in the end my opponent gets firstblood off the Wraithknight turn3! But in the end, when he is forced to land to get shots, stay on the table, in my turn3 I gather up 6 Kps, then it kind of snow balled out of control for my opponent, as he tried to chase down Windriders, but in the end he was out manoeuvred I felt and I took a 20-0 win on turn5... but the game went on and it ended 19-1 as he was able to kill a couple more units.

Very happy with the list now and how its boiled down to its current set up! Its largely stayed the same throughout, just a few minor tweaks here or there.

Thursday the 22nd is another 600pt event before the main event of the GT on Saturday!!

See you on the other side!

Rob