Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris's Cally Batreps
Game 1 – vs Iron Hands Deathstar. Hammer and Anvil. I think the mission was 4 objectives, cleanse and control.
Craig’s list was something like this:

The deathstar was mainly from a fists of medusa strike force
Chapter Master, bike, gorgon’s chain, artificier armour, power fist; 6 librarians on bikes, all lvl2 (two conclaves), 3 with staves and 3 with axes; a command squad on bikes with 4 gravguns, 4 stormshields, the banner of the emporer asscendant, and an apothecary; saint celestine; 2 priests with some weird hymn thing (reroll wounds). Oh, and a techmarine on a bike.
As well as all that in a single unit he had 3 separate whirlwinds, a battle sister squad and a dreadnought with assault cannon.

I won the roll off and deployed first across the board only reserving the Culexus in a drop pod and the scouts who were to outflank.
He deployed the deathstar far enough back that I couldn’t get many shots off with my bikes even with them scouting forward which I duly did and he failed to seize.
I advanced, my Culexus podding down was meant to be on a flank targeting a librarian but scattered in front of the deathstar. He jumped out and pumped 15 shots into the techmarine who look out sirred onto the chapter master who tanked all the wounds with his 3++ and 2+ FNP! A Psyk out grenade caused a perils on his libby who forgot how to make things invisible Smile That was the only one with invisibility…
The rest of my shooting put a single wound on the techmarine and a single wound on the chapter master. So much for an alpha strike!

His turn 1 saw him multi-assualt the drop pod, the culexus and a 3-man bike squad. The Culexus was squished by the dreadnoughts S10 power fist and the drop pod was wrecked but the bike squads lone survivor hit and run.

Turn 2 and I went for it as he had no powers up so it was now or never. All my shooting and an assault by both black knight squads saw 1 librarian and the techmarine dead with the chapter master taking a second wound. Blam! Brick wall hit!
He hit and run.

Can’t remember much else apart from him getting powers up turn 2 which included reroll all saves, and he began psychic shrieking my bikes and assaulting other units. After this turn there was very little chance of hurting him so the rest of the game was me scattering, damage limitation while trying to score maelstrom and killpoints. At the end of the game I had scouts on one objective at my board edge and he had the others. I also had an attack bike who miraculously survived to score me linebreaker, and I had taken out two whirlwinds, the sisters squad and the dread.

So a 16-4 loss.

Looking back I’m really not sure what else I could have done, really needed some Strength D in this army or a massive volume of shooting or something. The 3+ FNP that the entire unit had was just too much.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Iron Hands are tough! 3+ FnP is super frustrating to play. Did well to get 4pts out the game!

I played the exact same list. Not sure it was the same guy though. Andy something. Super hard to play. Had a bit of an advantage having played nick and his super friends so had an idea of what to do.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

So what did you do Will and how did you get on? Yeah it was a different guy I played
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I surrounded his deathstar with layers of gaunts and killed his whirlwind, sisters and various bits of the deathstar when it separated, with my flyrants. Manged to pull out a 15-5 win when he realised I was on for a minor victory and tried to get some more killpoints and maelstrom but in doing so gave me space to land a flyrant and contest his emperor's will objective.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Wow sounds like a great game, well played! Drown them in gaunts - nice Smile
(20-07-2016, 10:19 PM)will Wrote: I surrounded his deathstar with layers of gaunts and killed his whirlwind, sisters and various bits of the deathstar when it separated, with my flyrants. Manged to pull out a 15-5 win when he realised I was on for a minor victory and tried to get some more killpoints and maelstrom but in doing so gave me space to land a flyrant and contest his emperor's will objective.

Its a great result Will!

Game 2: The Relic vs Space wolf deathstar (Sam Dickinson I think)

So another deathstar for my second game. This one had a single conclave with 4 libbies on bikes, a chapter master on bike with the usual trimmings, a wolf lord on thunderwolf, a load of iron priests on thunderwolves with cyberwolves, all attached to a thunderwolf squad with storm shields. Oh, and apart from that massive unit he had 5 scouts!

I won the roll-off again and took first turn thinking I can be on the relic turn 1 and then retreat with it, he had very little shooting and didn't have gate of infinity. He was worried about the damage I could do before he got invis up and castled in a corner. He failed to seize. My culexus dropped down but only killed one thunderwolf guy and caused a wound on a libby with his grenade (he rolled a 1 for perils but passed leadership...close!). I killed his scouts to get firstblood and needed to do this as he had that switcheroo power from geomancy. My command squad ended on the relic so picked it up.

In his turn he assaulted and killed the drop pod and the culexus and failed to multicharge a 3 man bike squad. Very similar to last game so far.

Turn 2 I retreated with most things although I left a bike squad out on the flank to try and tempt him to charge that but he didn’t go for the bait. My shooting was pretty good and I killed the wolflord giving me slay the warlord as well as a few cyberwolves – I was staying at extreme range to stay out of charge range – not sure what would of happened at this point if I had gone for it, but it hadn’t worked last game so I was trying to play the mission.

He got his powers up, invis, reroll saves and some other buff that now made him invincible, so the rest of the game was me backing away, sacrificing a unit per turn to try and stop him charging the unit with the relic. In turn 5 I made a big error in that I didn’t realise he could charge through a gap in my unit but fortunately he failed the charge against the scouts holding the relic and the game ended.

15-5 win to me and I was very happy about that, although I had made some errors which nearly cost me the game. Maelstrom – I was doing well initially but lost board control so the last couple of turns I hardly scored any.
Well played Chris, Sams list looks super nasty on paper, but, it sounds like you handled it pretty well.

I think its your superior deployment skills and surprise tactics!

(21-07-2016, 08:54 PM)Embolden Wrote: Well played Chris, Sams list looks super nasty on paper, but, it sounds like you handled it pretty well.

I think its your superior deployment skills and surprise tactics!

Absolutely!!