Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zombicide Black Plague
This game is fighting zombies in a medieval fantasy setting.

We had 7 players, first thing to do was choose your survivor character. Paul choose Gilbert, and Ollie chooser Mortimer, both knights, with more than a passing resemblance to characters from Monty Pythons Holy Grail! Not to be outdone, Gaz choose Bob, a lookalike for Tim the sorcerer from the same film.
Ralph let out a squeak of delight as he spied Hitch, who looked suspiciously like the Goblin King from Labyrinth.
After someone remarked on a Xena warrior princess lookalike, Mick shouted, " she's mine, and so it came to pass.
Justin went for Scowl, as dark as his name suggested. Or maybe he's just grumpy?
I went for Silas a typical Elf bowman.

The scenario we played was to rescue 7 civilians , hiding from the zombie horde in a village, before the Necromancers took the village over.

It all started quiet enough, Paul failed to break a door ( 3 times! ). Eventually we got into the first building, rescued the civilian, and killed the 2 zombies hiding inside. No more zombies appeared, so we spread out and explored.
Then the Deadeyes arrived either end of the Main Street. These zombies carry bows, and they never miss, hence the name.
A little panic ensued, and in the best horror film tradition, we split up.
Paul, Gaz, Justin and myself had entered and exited an underground vault, surfacing in the other side of the village.
Ollie had managed to cross the street out of the sight of the Deadeyes. Ralph and Mick bravely (?) waited in a side alley to ambush the zombie archers.
This plan did actually work a treat, and while Mick and Ralph picked off archers, the rest of us picked up additional equipment.
Then the Wolfz appeared. zombie wolves! These move very fast. Ralph and Mick took some wounds, but stood their ground.
Then schoolboy error number 1. I got over excited and rescued another civilian which pushed my experience to the yellow level. Then all hell broke free.
Zombies appeared everywhere. More Deadeyes, more Wolfz, and 2 zombie abominations, 1 a Wolfalpha, and a giant Zombie rat!
Did I mention panic? Then schoolboy error number 2.
Justin broke down the door to the biggest building, and it was full of nasties. More Wolfzs, abominations , and Necromancers, and lots of walkers.
Ollie now stepped up and bravely stepped into the building intent of house clearing.
Unfortunately the dice Gods were not kind, and he was eaten by the undead horde.
It looked like the end , until a brilliant piece of teamwork ensued.
Attacks from Gaz, Paul and Justin, cleared a path so I could take out a Necromancer, and so buy us a little more time.
We then took out the big zombie rat. Gaz pushed a whole lot of zombies plus another Necromancer away from a spawn zone, and in a heroic move, Paul entered the building and cleared a whole room, then throwing Dragon bile into the room, with the new plan of setting the zombies on fire.
A brilliant , genius of a plan, with one tiny flaw. We ran out of time, as the Necromancers managed to get enough spawn points to take over the village and win the game.
Mistakes made, lessons learnt. Maybe. No plan survives contact with the enemy.
A return match is hopefully scheduled for July 12th, time will tell
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
Yes I really enjoyed last night Steve, and I regret not picking up a copy now. Alas, maybe I should pay more attention to alas KS and CMoN games, but I guess having one copy is more than enough for the group, (seeing as my out of town friends and I are currently enjoying Imperial Assault so another game is unlikely.)

Does that game play at all like a campaign, as you mentioned scenarios, and if so that would be an interesting way to play.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Sounds like a good game, will have to break open my copy.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(15-06-2016, 09:27 PM)Gareth Wrote: Yes I really enjoyed last night Steve, and I regret not picking up a copy now. Alas, maybe I should pay more attention to alas KS and CMoN games, but I guess having one copy is more than enough for the group, (seeing as my out of town friends and I are currently enjoying Imperial Assault so another game is unlikely.)

Does that game play at all like a campaign, as you mentioned scenarios, and if so that would be an interesting way to play.

There's no formal campaign yet, but all the scenarios do link together as a narrative.
In the core set there are 10 scenarios and another 10 in the Wulfsburg expansion. As it stands at the moment you would reset your experience level and skills back to the beginning. There is an extreme mode, where once your experience points exceed your tracker, you wrap your points back to the beginning, but kweep the skills you earnt. Then when you get to orange again, you gain the 2nd orange skill, then another red, wrappinqg around again until yowu have every skill on your character card.
You could always retain skills, points, aand equipment between scenarios though, just make the games more intense as you would start later scenarios on the red level.
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
Malifaux - Gremlins
Gilbert, "Hmmm? What's that? Hammers are good weapons they do more damage? Great, I'll take a hammer."

[Who goes first...? Gilbert rolls a 6 then another 6 in the roll-off!]

"OK I go first, using my trusty hammer I will smash down this puny door, move inside and crush whatever monster I find!"

[Rolls, 1, 1, 2]

"What is that you say?" Gilbert standing in a pool of sweat having comprehensively failed to knock the door down, but woken up the entire zombie neighbourhood. "Eh? Hammer is mighty weapon? Oh... but sh** at opening doors. Boofff!!!"

[Hitch opens door at first attempt. Gilbert obviously had it down to 1 hit point!]

[Everyone moves inside to have a zombie-bash/treasure-finding party leaving Gilbert outside, red-faced, and cursing hammers. Silas (scrawny-elf) (or maybe Bob, I don't remember I was concentrating on...) find a very nice shiny greatsword... Gilbert wants it!]

[From ineffective first, to ineffective last. The party continues slaying things and finding goodies. When they have finished the shiny has moved through a vault to the otherside of town... Gilbert follows, but when he gets in touching distance he is out of breath.]

[What seems like an eternity later some swopsies go on. Gilbert now has shiny and Silas has crappy hammer. Gilbert loses track of plot while playing with shiny. But he does manage to open a door and maybe hit something so the others can grab the treasure and leave him at the back again.]

"OMG it's a necromancer, what do we do? Aha! Hit it with something that does lots of damage. My shiny? What you say elf? I need a hammer? You yanking my chain scumbag!!! (Aside) I hate this elf!"

[But unable to attack the necro his shiny did kill another (the lowest form of) zombie (to exist) and he has 1 whole experience point - woohoo!]

[Opening doors is now so easy with precious shiny rolling 5 dice at a time HeartHeartHeart]

"Hey Silas, I opened another door for you, I will just stand here and wait while you rescue the survivors and take all the glory (again)!"

[BOOOM!!! Silas hits the next level]

[BOOOOOM!!! Zombies the size of the Chieftain tanks hit the streets and there are Necro's appearing in gangs...]

"Ha!!! I am not afraid. I have my shiny and 1 whole experince point!"

Gilbert, still moving late in the pecking order follows his half of the gang up the street. Looking to end some zombie very-low-on-life. Suddenly, there is a whole heap of stinking corpses moving around him and being chopped down by the crew.

"Maybe I get my turn to hit something in a minute, no?"

Surrounded by enemies, big and numerous, Scowl decides to open the door at the end of the street! It's the biggest house and it is full. Serious Necro party going on in there and more abominations than I could count.

Mortimer decides to hit the dance floor and moves on in. Boy did he have some sexy moves, but when he finally HIT the dance floor, it was face-first, he was horizontal and ...dead Sad

Knowing that Shiny is no match for the Cheiftain RAT-a-tat-tank about to squish his friend (?) Bob the Brilliant casts a spell on Gilbert. Gilbert the slightly-sweaty-smell is now Gilbert that smells like death itself. The big gribblies ignore him. What's more Brilliant Bob pushes the Necros and Tanks back from the dance-floor so Gilbert can be a 1 XP hero.

"Don't worry my friends. With two deft swings of my shiny I will clear this dance floor and foil these necro plans."

Bish, bash, bosh... he did. Shiny cleaved and sang as it cut through all (the minor zombie things) before it.

"But..." says the unhelpful elf, "you can't kill the big things with shiny!"

"Pah..." says Gilbert, "Not even your crappy hammer can kill the abomonation standing next to me... (Gilbert smells like he just crapped his pants...) Oh dear!"

Then Gilbert (or more likely some insignificant elf) had a brilliant idea. If he searched around and found some dragon fire, he could smash the oil on the floor, run out the house and when all the necros and big things chased him, they would be on the oil and a useless elf with a flaming arrow (elves have bows you know) could fire it and BOOM all the bad things are barbequed spare ribs.

So Gilbert searched, he had always been good at finding shiny things, and he found dragon fire oil... what a stroke of genius. SMASH and run and...

...super-elf with all the XP realises he has no flaming arrow.

Everything goes very dark...AngelAngelAngel

Thoroughly enjoyed it, can't wait for the next game...
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Was definitely a blast, had been looking forward to play it at the club for quite a while, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Was thinking of adding a house rule. Dead characters stay on the board as a zombie, and their equipment stays in the zone they died, for one whole turn, then the zombies trample it into the dust, and they are lost. Thoughts?
Malifaux - Gremlins
Quest 1 and 2

Tonight was the night we would take the fight to the zombie horde.
Paul had Garak the Orc, and Marcus the Mighty, a failed wizard.
Adam had Julian, a cunning thief.
Ritz choose Redcap Rodney, an executioner.
I choose Silas the Elf and Ysabel , a farmers wife.
Our first mission was to find the Necromancers lair, kill him and his creation, the Abomination.
Things went very smoothly, even when two Necromancers appeared together. No Necromancer managed to escape us as we killed them all.It did help that both Garak and Rodney were able to kill Abominations very early in the game. Soon we had the lair found, and Abomination killed along with his master. Job done, no casualties, only Julian, Ysabel, and Rodney with any scratches.
Quest 2 was to get the keys to some locked rooms , so that we could steal a black book, and maybe learn how this zombie invasion came about.
The early stages saw plenty of zombie deaths, our team was getting quite good at facing anything.
Then the Wolfz appeared, very fast, very deadly. We was now at a higher threat level, so when zombies spawned, they spawned many. Also Necromancers appeared, and then different abominations. We were very outnumbered now, and started taking the occasional wound. Marcus let rip with a crossbow, hitting everything in the zone, including Julian and Ysabel!
Now things were getting hairy, and to best counter the threat, against our better judgement, we split up. Rodney, Silas and Garak went to stop the Wolfz pack, leaving Marcus, Ysabel and Julian to explore the underground vaults.
Silas and Garak were forced back by the mounting zombie horde, Rodney getting trapped in a small building.
Ysabel and Marcus got into the vault, but unfortunately Julian got trapped and killed.
Ysabel was then killed escaping the vault.
Silas and Garak fought their way back into the vault building, Marcus set fire to some dragon bile, clearing a load of zombies. Marcus also found a healing spell which could heal or resurrect a fellow survivor.
Unfortunately that was where time ran out. Rodney in one building, fireballing anything that came near, Silas, Marcus, and Garak in another, also meeting any and all challenges. All we needed to do was get one survivor to the red threat level, and with additional time I think we would have achieved that easily.

Another great game, featuring heroic deeds, missed opportunities and hard decisions.

Next time, quest 3, so another team needs assembling.
Malifaux - Gremlins
Quest 3 (again!)

Time to revisit the zombie invested village, in an effort to rescue the few living left.
Last time we took 7, this time we took 8.
My daughters came to play their first miniature game.
Sophie chose Cadence, a young huntsman
Isabelle chose Ysabel, the farmers wife
Justin chose Azure , a dark elf swordsman
Ollie again chose Mortimer, a knight with a Great sword
Stu chose Baldric, a wizard
Ralph chose Dr Stormcrow, a plague doctor
Mick chose Zena lookalike Xuxa , again!
And I chose a dwarf lord, Bazak

Following a discussion, a plan was agreed. Hit the big central building first, while the threat level was low. A good idea, if only we had followed it!
Dr Stormcrow, Bazak, and Ysabel went into the first building they found, taking out the zombies lurking there, and opening up a vault door.
Mortimer went for a stroll, admiring the architecture.
The rest stuck to the plan, and advanced up the street to the large building.
A Necromancer appeared early, as did an abomination.
Dr Stormcrow grabbed the vault artifact, which turned out to be a Dwarven Shield.
Cadence guarded the street while Xuxa, Azure, Baldric, and the returned Mortimer, smashed in the door and entered the building.
Now the threat rose, and more zombies poured into the village.
More Necromancers arrived, the zombie horde threatening to over run us.
Dr Stormcrow, Bazak, now joined by Baldric, smashed their way out of the vault, clearing the building they found themselves in.
Cadence took out more zombies, but was about to be overrun by Wolfz . Mortimer appeared in a storm of steel, and cleaved his way through them. Inside the building, Xuxa, and Ysabel took out zombies and the Neromancer they was guarding. Azure cleared the entrance room, and bent to help the villager sprawled on the floor. To his horror, zombies and an abomination, crawled out of the floor, overwhelming Azure, and killing him.
Xuxa and Ysabel now found themselves cut off and surrounded, Xuxa sacrificing herself, then the zombies took Ysabel down.
An Abominataur smashed through a wall of a building, looking for fresh blood.
More Necromancers appeared, and because we had 4 swarm points in one zone, they quickly escaped and the game was over.

Again we got overran by both Necromancers and zombies very quickly.
I had changed the makeup of the swarm deck before the game, but maybe next time, I might take out a couple of abominations , a necromancer, and the wolfs, at least until we get to Wolfsburg.

Really enjoyed this, I think this is now my fave game! My daughters had a great time, and really got stuck in. Thanks to all the other players for helping them out, and making the game such a fun experience.
I am determined we will beat this game, so next time, quest 3 , take 3!!!
Malifaux - Gremlins
So quest 3 take 3.

This village was becoming a real roadblock, and previously we had only added more bodies to the Zombie horde.

So playing this time was

Gaz, as Hitch, his special ability allowed him to slip out of a zone containing zombies.
Stu had William, who had a stark resemblance to a decapitated former Hand.
John B took Samson, a very confident Dwarf warrior.
Ollie took Baldur, a pyromanical wizard.
Ethan took Clovis, a very efficient sellsword .
And I again took Silas, an Elf marksman archer.

We entered the village and decided to kick in the nearest door. Zombies soon appeared, and as we piled into the house they were quickly dispatched. We uncovered an underground vault, and Baldur, Samson and Silas, went down. Meanwhile a Necromancer appeared with his usual undead bodyguard. Hitch slipped past them, and William and Clovis easily dispatched them.
Samson smashed through the exit of the vault, closely followed by Silas and Baldur.
An Abomination now threatened to really spoil our day, again Hitch slipped past.
Samson went walk about, hitting everything to a pulp. Silas and Baldur were unable to open door and then faced off against a second Necromancer.
Retreating bravely back through the vault, Silas found some Dragonbile, perfect for killing Abominations, as long as we could set fire to it. For once the Gods smiled down on us and Hitch found a torch. Hitch screamed attracting the attention of the Abomination , then slipping past, he threw the Torch to William, Silas throwing the Dragonbile over the Abomination . William catching the torch then set the bile alight, killing the Abomination. A pure heroic cinematic scene!
Undead archers now patrolled the streets, keeping us all in buildings.
Samson was still dishing out his particular brand of justice, William and Clovis went into the vault.
Hitch heroically charged into the street, but expecting help that never came, was unable to overcome the large numbers, and was killed.
Too late to help Hitch, Silas and Baldur , in a hail of arrows and fire, took revenge and cleared the street.
Things settled down, and we managed to rescue 4 of the 5 survivors. Only 2 locations remained, but which was the survivor, and which the zombie?
Samson had moved behind another undead horde and had cleaned them out. He then smashed in a door, finding a house with walkers, a Necromancer and 2 Abominations.
Samson scuttled into an empty building, and the Zombies were joined by another Necromancer. If they escaped, then we would be overrun and lose.
Baldur and Silas then used ranged attacks to thin the horde and kill both Necromancers.
Time was against us, so William smashed open another door, killing some of the corpses that were behind it, Silas followed him in, finishing off the last zombie, but when he reached the survivor , he realised he was too late, the survivor had turned and sank his teeth in to his face.
It was all down to Samson now, and avoiding the horde, he managed to rescue the last survivor in the nick of time!
Malifaux - Gremlins
That was a really enjoyable game!
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."