Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ's Caledonian Revolution 2016 List Ideas
(12-04-2016, 05:36 PM)Embolden Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 04:50 PM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 07:55 AM)Embolden Wrote: I like the idea of deep striking Falcons, backed by a guide seer.

Maybe with Fire Dragons x2 and a unit of Dark Reapers? Gives you a more balanced drop?

Yeah it's been suggested a few times I should consider switching out one unit of Fire Dragons for Dark Reapers. Thinking about it.

I was going to deploy the Farseer and Autarch with the deep striking units.

Makes sense, Farseer to guide/prescience/shriek something, while the Autarch rocking a Fusion gun goes well with Fire Dragons.

My only worry is giving up Warlord easily.

Yeah I'm concerned about that too but I think it would be almost as easy to get him at the back of the board....
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
So I'm not really loving my current list so I thought I'd have a rethink based on what models I'd actually like to play, rather than what is necessarily competitive, ended up something kind of scatter gun but worth a discussion:

Combined Arms Detachment:

HQ1: Farseer - 100
HQ2: Autarch - Fusion Gun - 80

Troops1: 5 Dire Avengers - 65
Transport1 Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon & TL Scatter Lasers 125
Troops2: 5 Dire Avengers - 65
Transport2 Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon & TL Scatter Lasers 125

Fast Attack 1: Crimson Hunter - Exarch - 160
Fast Attack 2: 5 Warp Spiders - 96

Heavy Support 1: 3 Falcons - 3 Shuriken Cannons, 3 Scatter Lasers, 3 Pulse Lasers - 405

Lord of War: Wraithknight - 295

Aspect Host Formation:

5 Fire Dragons - Exarch - 120
3 Dark Reapers - Exarch - 90

Comes to 1845pts.

At the moment I'm concerned about my lack of numbers (Troops) and my usual volume of S6 shots from my Vypers and War Walkers....
Magic the Gathering

Eeeeek! A wraithknight!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(08-05-2016, 07:46 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Eeeeek! A wraithknight!

Yeah but not much protection for it so I reckon it'd kick it pretty quickly.

Another crazy list idea was:

HQ 1: Farseer - 100
HQ 2: Autarch - Fusion Gun - 80

Elites 1: 5 Fire Dragons - 110
Elites 2: 5 Striking Scorpions - 85

Troops 1: 5 Dire Avengers - 65
Transport1 Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon & TL Scatter Lasers 125
Troops 2: 10 Guardian Defenders - Scatter Laser - 105
Transport2 Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon & TL Scatter Lasers 125
Troops 3: 3 Windriders - 3 Scatter Lasers - 81

Fast Attack 1: 3 Vypers - 6 Shuriken Cannons - 150
Fast Attack 2: 5 Warp Spiders - 95

Heavy Support 1: 1 Falcon - 1 Shuriken Cannons, 1 Scatter Lasers, 1 Pulse Lasers - 135
Heavy Support 2: 3 Dark Reapers - 75
Heavy Support 3: 3 War Walkers - 6 Scatter Lasers - 180

Lord of War: Wraithknight - 2 Starcannons - 335

Comes to 1846pts.
Magic the Gathering

I really have no idea what to do with my list, I can't seem to make one I'm even close to happy with. Sad

This is the closest I've come so far to being happy with it but still feel like I might be losing some firepower out with it.

HQ 1: Autarch - Fusion Gun, Warp Jump Generator, Scorpion Chainsword - 93
HQ 2: Farseer Skyrunner - The Spirit Stone of Anath'lan - 130

Troops 1: 10 Guardians - Scatter Laser - 105
Transport 1 Wave Serpent - Shuriken Cannon & TL Scatter Lasers 125
Troops 2: 3 Windriders - 3 Scatter Lasers - 81

Heavy Support 1: 5 Dark Reapers - Exarch - 140
Heavy Support 2: 3 Falcons - 3 Shuriken Cannons, 3 Scatter Lasers, 3 Pulse Lasers - 405
Heavy Support 3: Vaul's Wrath Support Battery - 3 Vibro Cannons - 90

Lord of War: Wraithknight - 2 Starcannons - 335

Aspect Host Formation (+1 BS):

5 Warp Spiders - Exarch - 105

Comes to 1849pts.

The basic strategy being Autarch is Warlord, joining Warp Spiders. Warp Spiders and Fire Dragons deep strike in the Falcons. Farseer Skyrunner joins the Windriders and goes for Invis for the Wraithknight. The Dark Reapers, Vaul's Wrath Battery and Wraithknight sit as far back as possible shooting anything they can. The main weakness I can foresee is anti-air as I only really have the Dark Reapers for that.
Magic the Gathering

Personally I think youve got too much in reserve. Over 1000pts! you'll be in trouble if you have a bad reserve roll or your oppenent has a reserve manipulation warlord trait. Have you considered using wave serpents with star engines (the 24' flat out upgrade) instead of the falcons and their deepstriking. It would give you crazy speed, get you to where you need to be turn one and with the pentration hit protection of the serpents gives some good survivabilty. Just an extra idea that you might not have thought of.
I seem to remember dark reapers being really good at AA due to the twin linked vs zooming flyers and swooping FMCs however I'm not sure but is that not a thing for them being in an aspect host? If so then you may need to swap them with something in the aspect host.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

I think if I was facing your wraithknight and you had it at the back of the table with invisibility on it I would just ignore it and take the hits. It would be much more scary pushed into the opponents face cos then you have to deal with it. Is the farseer a bit vulnerable being in a 3man wind rider unit!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Yeah but my current list has over 1,000pts in reserve and its been fine. I've actually swapped the Dark Reapers and Warp Spiders around as I hadn't realised they were bulky so won't fit in a Falcon so the Autarch will join the Warp Spiders and deep strike separately.

The Wave Serpent idea is something I hadn't considered but I couldn't disembark on Turn 1 if I did that whereas if I deep strike I can get out and shoot same turn they arrive.

I was thinking about whether to be more agressive with the Wraithknight, I could even go as far as to give it the sword and shield instead of the cannons. The Farseer is a little vulnerable yes but no more so than it usually is in a unit of 5 Fire Dragons that I normally drop behind the enemy?
Magic the Gathering

After using the Wraithknight at War of the Roses this weekend just gone.

The Wraithknight hugely benefits from Psychic support, Invis/Fortune and Forewarning are all very good powers. I lost it in 2/5 games, game1 vs Warp Spiders and I had no way to help support the Wraithknight, but it did do some damage before going down and game 2 vs Grav, where I had Invis and opponents got super lucky hitting it 9 times out of 12 without prescience... Causing 4 wounds before finishing it off in combat. Again lucky.. I had under 1 stomp, 3 Characters, Apothecary, Warlord and his hit and run... but alas I rolled a 1!

The other 3 games, he was super useful, I was aggressive when I has Psychic Buffs, in the meta, Grav and Shrieks are popular so you have to support the Knight where you can, but you have to be aggressive otherwise it can be ignored.

(23-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Embolden Wrote: After using the Wraithknight at War of the Roses this weekend just gone.

The Wraithknight hugely benefits from Psychic support, Invis/Fortune and Forewarning are all very good powers. I lost it in 2/5 games, game1 vs Warp Spiders and I had no way to help support the Wraithknight, but it did do some damage before going down and game 2 vs Grav, where I had Invis and opponents got super lucky hitting it 9 times out of 12 without prescience... Causing 4 wounds before finishing it off in combat. Again lucky.. I had under 1 stomp, 3 Characters, Apothecary, Warlord and his hit and run... but alas I rolled a 1!

The other 3 games, he was super useful, I was aggressive when I has Psychic Buffs, in the meta, Grav and Shrieks are popular so you have to support the Knight where you can, but you have to be aggressive otherwise it can be ignored.

Yeah thanks Rob, good advice, I read similar across the web so will have to be aggressive with it. Was planning on going for Invis for it too. Just got mine, built it over the weekend. http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.ph...5#pid35909
Magic the Gathering