Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cookie's Caledonian test lists
(13-04-2016, 09:04 AM)Embolden Wrote: Point 7)

Just to check, you can witchfire a unit, wound/kill it and charge a different target.

ok because I read the rule book its it calls it a psychic shooting attack, so I thought it would have the same restrictions as normal shooting attacks when it some to charging units.
40K: Orks and Chaos Space Marines

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth
(13-04-2016, 01:37 PM)Agent0range Wrote: Glad to hear it went well. I LOVE my Maulerfiends, they're the secret stars of the CSM codex. Might try and shoehorn a third one in my list, and possibly drop the Heldrake, but will do some playtesting first before I do. Do you find that the Forgefiend does well in games? It always seems quite expensive in points to me, and with BS3 on paper it doesn't seem like as much of a good deal as the maulerfiend.

first time I used the forge fiend, I will be sticking with the auotcannons, I averaged 4 hits a turn, with 2-3 glances against armour 12, if it weren't for jinx rolls that skimmers get, I would have killed 2 wave serpents with the forge fiend alone, and it aided in the death of 2 falcons.

I think 2 mauler fiends is enough, any more and they would get in each others way, but I'll wait till I run into a anti tank list before passing final jugdement

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
(13-04-2016, 08:14 PM)Cookie101 Wrote:
(13-04-2016, 09:04 AM)Embolden Wrote: Point 7)

Just to check, you can witchfire a unit, wound/kill it and charge a different target.

ok because I read the rule book its it calls it a psychic shooting attack, so I thought it would have the same restrictions as normal shooting attacks when it some to charging units.

Its later on in the paragraph it goes on to talk about the same unit targeting different units and not being restricted in the shooting/assault phase etc.

been testing this list for the past few games thought I'd post it up for people to see, basically take off the combi-bolters, and nerf the sorcerer's invul to 5+ to get a extra biker in the list, also give gift of mutation to the chaos lord for a free chaos boon table roll at the beginning of the game.

thinking of dropping the forge fiend, any suggestion with what to replace it with?

Edit: after reading the FAQ on Facebook, and with it the changes of having 2 psykers in the same unit being unable to cast the same powers, I looked at the other physic disciplines and thought of how the pryomancy would help kill off biker hordes by ignoring their cover, but the space marine bikers would still have their 3+ armour saves....

step in the burning brand of skalathrax, a AP3 torrent flamer of pure anti-biker spam.

so here's the updated list to include it in, due to the fact the flamer took away the sorcerer's bolt pistol I changed him to a force mace for the extra strength 6 attacks, also helps me to tell the 2 sorcerer's apart.

1850 points bang on.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PLAYER: Samuel cook
ALLIANCE LEVEL: BATTLE BROTHERS

PRIMARY DETACHMENT: COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT: Chaos space marines codex, Faction Chaos Space Marine 

HQ1: Chaos lord (65) Mark of Khrone (10), Axe of blind fury (35), Sigil of corruption (25), Juggernaut of khrone (35), Veterans of the long war (5), gift of mutation (10). [185] (WARLORD)

HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force stave (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory(15), Veterans of the long war (5), burning brand of skalathrax (30). [195] 

Troop1: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (65), 2 Plasma guns (30), Veterans of the long war (10) [180]

Troop2: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (65), 2 Plasma guns (30), Veterans of the long war (10) [180]

FA1: Chaos bikers (70) + 4 Chaos bikers (80), Mark of Nurgle (42), Power fist (25), 2 melta guns (20), Veterans of the long war (7) [244]

HS1: Maulerfiend (125) 2 Lasher tendrils (10) [135] 
HS2: Maulerfiend (125) 2 Lasher tendrils (10) [135] 
HS3: Forgefiend [175]

Transport1: Rhino (Transport Troop1) [35] 
Transport2: Rhino (Transport Troop2) [35] 

TOTAL [1499pts] 

SECONDARY DETACHMENT: Allied Detachment: Black Legion Codex supplement, Faction Chaos Space Marines 

HQ1: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force Axe (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory(15), Veterans of the long war (5). [165] 

Troop1: Chaos space marines (75) + 4 Chaos space marines (52), Plasma gun (15), Veterans of the long war (9) [151]

TOTAL [351pts] 

Army total: [1850pts] 

Heldrake instead of forge fiend? More bikes? Some obliterators? Or some daemon allies?
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(05-05-2016, 09:17 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Heldrake instead of forge fiend?

My thoughts exactly, plus you haven't got a lot of anti-air either so it would fill that role.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
(06-05-2016, 10:39 AM)jjakaalbinoboy Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 09:17 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Heldrake instead of forge fiend?

My thoughts exactly, plus you haven't got a lot of anti-air either so it would fill that role.

this is a alternate list I came up with, I downgrade the black legion chaos space marine squad and then swap the forge fiend for a 10 man havoc squad with missile launchers, including flakk missiles, this give me a unit that can sit in my deployment zone and hold a objective for me, while being able to lay down 4 frag/krak/flakk missiles a turn.

as for a hell drake, I can get one in the list easy, the problem is I don't have a model for it yet, and I won't be able to get one till June, which gives me like a week to practise with it in my list.
of course if you guys are happy for me to proxy, I can always use one of my ork flyers to proxxie it.

PRIMARY DETACHMENT: COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT: Chaos space marines codex, Faction Chaos Space Marine 

HQ1: Chaos lord (65) Mark of Khrone (10), Axe of blind fury (35), Sigil of corruption (25), Juggernaut of khrone (35), Veterans of the long war (5), gift of mutation (10). [185] (WARLORD)

HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force stave (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory(15), Veterans of the long war (5), burning brand of skalathrax (30). [195] 

Troop1: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (65), 2 Plasma guns (30), Veterans of the long war (10) [180]

Troop2: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (65), 2 Plasma guns (30), Veterans of the long war (10) [180]

FA1: Chaos bikers (70) + 4 Chaos bikers (80), Mark of Nurgle (42), Power fist (25), 2 melta guns (20), Veterans of the long war (7) [244]

HS3: Havocs (75) + 5 havocs (65), 4 Missile launchers (60), flakk missiles (40) [240]

TOTAL [1564pts] 

SECONDARY DETACHMENT: Allied Detachment: Black Legion Codex supplement, Faction Chaos Space Marines 

HQ1: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force Axe (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory(15), Veterans of the long war (5). [165] 

Troop1: Chaos space marines (75) + Veterans of the long war (5), swap bolt guns for close combat weapons (0), flamer (5) [85]

TOTAL [285pts] 

Army total: [1849pts] 

after working on the last list, and seeing how flying tyrant lists might still be a problem for it, I once again dug though the supplements, and found a relic from crimson slaughter that allows a sorcerer to take psychic powers from the divination table.

after watching my bikers fail their charge by a inch, I looked into ways into giving them a re-roll for their charge, the icon of wrath does that, as well as provide furious charge to the unit (strength 7 on the characters, 9 for the power fist), it meant changing to mark of khrone for it, but that just makes the whole unit T5, so it makes working that out easier, and I'll just keep giving them invisibility or a 2+ cover save to dodge the strength 10 shots.

after changing my allies detachment for a full combined arms detachment to fit in the extra sorcerer, here's how the list looks now.

HQ1: Chaos lord (65) Mark of Khrone (10), Axe of blind fury (35), Sigil of corruption (25), Juggernaut of khrone (35). [170] (WARLORD)

HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force stave (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory(15), burning brand of skalathrax (30). [190] 

Troop1: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (5x13), 2 Plasma guns (2x15) [170]

Troop2: Chaos space marines (75) + 5 Chaos space marines (5x13), 2 Plasma guns (2x15) [170]

FA1: Chaos bikers (70) + 4 Chaos bikers (4x20), Mark of khrone (7x2), power fist (25), Veterans of the long war (7x1), icon of wrath (20) [216]

TOTAL [1256pts] 

SECONDARY DETACHMENT: COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT: Crimson slaughter Codex supplement, Faction Chaos Space Marines 

HQ1: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force Axe (0), Spell Familiar (15), Aura of dark glory (15), melta bombs (5). [165] 

HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Force Axe (0), Balestar of Mannon (25), Aura of dark glory (15). [150] 

Troop1: chaos cultists + 1 cultist (4) [54]
Troop2: chaos cultists [50]

HS1: Havocs (75), 4 Missile launchers (4x15), flakk missiles (4x10) [175]

TOTAL [594pts] 

had to take out some of the extra things I had on units (bikers melta guns, veteran of the long war) to get the extra sorcerer in, he sits with the havocs to get the most of the divination table (re-roll to hit and ignore cover please, and a 4++ would be nice too).

had to go with cultists for the troops, hide them off board and use them to grab objectives near my board edge.

on the bright side the sorcerer from the supplement with the bike will give the bikers fear for free which can be handy.

The havoks wont really work at taking down flyrants. Flakk missiles are only AP4 so flyrants still get their 3+ save and dont need to jink. Unless you can get some kind of upgrade for them?. Also means your ignores cover isnt going to help. They will probably be really good against standard flyers though so might still be useful. I think your best bet at anti flyrant is vector striking with helldrakes.
I personally have no problem with proxying models if you want to try out helldrake(s) before buying as long as its a semi sensible proxy.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

well tried the list above last night and found the additions I made to it just didn't work.

the 2nd/3rd sorcerer didn't work too well, and while I completely owned the physic phase, it was total over kill.

havocs were pointless, didn't do much before running off the board (and taking a sorcerer with them)

the cultists were the most useful addition, coming on from reserve to grab a objective each.

after deciding I only needed the one sorcerer, I was able to get my list down to one detachment, dropping the havocs and 2 sorcerers allowed me to get in a pair of hell drakes and a third mauler fiend, I also was able to buff the bike squad with a extra guy (ex-sorcerer), and I got a single unit of cultists in for objective grabbing.

here's the list as it stands:

HQ1: Chaos lord (65) Mark of Khrone (10), Axe of blind fury (35), Sigil of corruption (25), Juggernaut of khrone (35), Veterans of the long war (5). [175] (WARLORD)

HQ2: Sorcerer (60) Level 3 (50), Bike (20), Force stave (0), Spell Familiar (15), Sigil of corruption (25), Veterans of the long war (5). [175] 

Troop3: Cultists (50) + 1 cultists (4) [54]

FA1: Chaos bikers (70) + 5 Chaos bikers (100), Mark of Nurgle (48), Power fist (25), 2 melta guns (20), Veterans of the long war (8) [271]
FA2: Helldrake (170) bale flamer (0) [170]
FA3: Helldrake (170) bale flamer (0) [170]

HS3: Maulerfiend (125) 2 Lasher tendrils (10) [135]