Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOTR Campaign Rules and Map
(28-03-2016, 04:30 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Stu, you have the option of moving your unengaged force in Lothlorien (9) to defend Dol Guldur (10) from the Easterlings. You will still retain control of Lothlorien. If Stu does move to defend and loses this battle he will retreat to Lothlorien.

Having lured the Easterlings to the woodland realm we'll engage them at Dol Guldur.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
OK first post updated with map and bit of info detailing who is fighting who this turn and the pts value of each force.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
In the event of a draw...

Last night Stu and I played 'To the Death' and the scenario result is a draw at 1 victory point each. Draws are not yet covered by the rules.

Thinking of other games, like SAGA, we could use 'slaughter points' to decide a draw. In LotR 'slaughter points' could default to the 'Lords of Battle' scenario which is basically about inflicting wounds and use of fate points to avoid wounds.

In this battle Easterlings inflicted 3 wounds to kill a giant eagle and killed 7 other elves = 10 wounds. Elves killed 5 Easterlings = 5 wounds in return. At 2:1 'kill' ratio, from an outnumbered force 500 pnts v 550 pnts. That would have been victory in my eyes! Certainly would have been a victory in the Lords of Battle scenario.

This then makes me think perhaps we should be more careful about choosing scenarios.

Maybe when we are fighting for 'owned but unoccupied' territory then 'Hold Ground' or 'Domination' might be better choices. Where we fight for objectives to gain tactical advantage and ultimate power of the node. Less likely to be a draw? Even so these can still end in an inconclusive 'draw'. Again wounds and fate points used could provide the decider.

As usual just my thoughts...
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
All good points. The only other method that occurs is to maybe take into account the total number of points either killed or left on the table, again a win for the Easterlings even if we account for the horses that scarpered as a result of Nature's Wrath (they might not be considered casualties in the strictest sense?).

I think better choice of scenario probably has merit for territorial battles as Paul says.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Ok let's go with points killed rather than pts left on table or wounds caused to solve a draw. The former may encourage people to be too cautious in the fight and the latter would be unfair for armies with cheap numerous troops who are there to die in droves, and would be an unfair advantage for very tough armies like Uruk hai/trolls and dwarves.

Don't think horses or wargs etc count for casualties, you have to slay mount and rider (or make them run away) to get the pts. For monstrous mounts I would say you do get the pts if you kill the mount.

So Paul wins narrowly at dol Guldur.

I know another issue last night was terrain. If there is an issue then take it in turns to choose and place a piece of scenery until at least 33% of the board is covered.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(20-04-2016, 11:45 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Ok let's go with points killed rather than pts left on table or wounds caused to solve a draw. The former may encourage people to be too cautious in the fight and the latter would be unfair for armies with cheap numerous troops who are there to die in droves, and would be an unfair advantage for very tough armies like Uruk hai/trolls and dwarves.

Don't think horses or wargs etc count for casualties, you have to slay mount and rider (or make them run away) to get the pts. For monstrous mounts I would say you do get the pts if you kill the mount.

So Paul wins narrowly at dol Guldur.

I know another issue last night was terrain. If there is an issue then take it in turns to choose and place a piece of scenery until at least 33% of the board is covered.

OK Chris that makes sense. Goblins die in droves... Dwarves are tough bu**ers. Pts slain it is.
Monstrous mounts killed = OK. But they need to be targeted and killed, if rider is killed then feral (like horses) just fly/run away to safety.

Terrain - I think your original point in rules is well made, Mirkwood should have a lot of woods. And as Stu said to me, you wanna come to Mirkwood (Dol Guldur) expect to find trees and ruins!!! But taking turns to place is probably fairer.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Ben, I just received a load of private messages. So sorry. We should've shared those points! Lol. I had a great game with rob with them though. Won again. So we can divvy them up for the next round?
Ok so as Ben has had to drop out, Luke and Matt have agreed to combine teams. I'll have a go at rejigging the map a bit and then we can start turn 3.
Map updated, turn 3 begins.

I need players to assign points to their armies - will PM each of you.

Initiative has been rolled - moves to be made after points assigned.

The road goes ever on and on....!
Thanks for assigning points, you can see how others have allocated points here (post 3):

http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=2787

Paul and Rob to make their moves first.