Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
I would be interested in this. Havn't played Lord of the rings since the return of the king ruleset. Has much changed since then, or is my old rule book still good?

I have a small mordor orc force and some men of gondor would prefer to use my orcs though.
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

Nice one Will, the old rulebook is still fine. There is slightly different force composition rules in the newer rules but really if you just take a fairly balanced force with a few heroes and a couple of handfuls of normal troops you can't go far wrong.

So far then:
Stu & JJ - Rohan & Elves
Chris & Will - Mordor & Isenguard (or just double Mordor)
Paul - Easterlings/Harad
Ben - Dwarves

Space for two more but could run with just these 6. I can always lend models on the night if Ben, JJ or Will need a few extra.

I have had a look at the old WD's and a couple have got good campaigns in:
WD 307 The Last Alliance campaign with Middle Earth map divided into provinces, a number of starter armies which take casualties as you fight (each casualty 4+ after battle to survive) leading up to a final battle with bonuses for those that have more troops remaining in their armies. No reinforcements. Final battle can happen anytime after one player has won 5 games dependent on a dice roll.
WD 336 Middle Earth in Flames campaign; hex-based map, four players, seize strategic points, up to five armies per side (starting with two 300pt armies) limit of 15 turns. Can gain reinforcements to spend on more armies (pts generated from strategic pts you control and your capital). Lose a battle and army is wiped or loses certain amount of pts and retreats

Thinking of combining the two ideas maybe. The map in WD336 seemed a bit big ie too many hexes and 15 campaign turns may be too many so perhaps thinking of limiting it to more like 10, but I really want to have a final showdown with everyone participating who can make it - maybe the strategic pts that you capture can contribute to bonuses in the final battle.

In terms of points for a game, what are people's feelings on the points limit you could comfortably fit into an evening? How many pts did you play vs Matt the other evening Stu and did you feel it was a good length? I am initially thinking between 400 - 600pts for a battle. Does that sound about right?

Please let me know your thoughts and what you'd prefer to see.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
PM'd Matt (Brightblade) to see if he's interested.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
This is shaping up nicely. Can I go for an Arnor / Rohan alliance for a bit more choice?

I'm sure Matt will be up for this, work permitting.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Sounding good I'll see if I have those WDs.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
im always one for gathering rules that i will use for one series of games and never play again. which rule set do i need for this?
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(19-02-2016, 02:16 PM)Simian Wrote: im always one for gathering rules that i will use for one series of games and never play again.

Ha - same here! Big Grin

(19-02-2016, 02:16 PM)Simian Wrote: which rule set do i need for this?

The current (5th edition) rules are these: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/The...tid=619550. I just picked up a copy on eBay.

There's also a mini rulebook in the Escape from Goblin Town set.
cheers Stuart.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
is there much difference between the hobbit and the lord of the rings rules?

because that one is massively cheaper and from what ive found it seems to be virtually identical
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
(19-02-2016, 04:53 PM)Simian Wrote: is there much difference between the hobbit and the lord of the rings rules?

I'm not familiar enough with the original rules to identify all the differences, but I've heard there are small changes with respect to hand weapons, shooting and morale.

This post was the best one I could find that quickly outlines some of the changes: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24358