Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest in Lord of the Rings Campaign?
And just to confirm we are happy with proxies... I'd like to try some of these East/Harad things out but e.g. might use a cave troll to rep a half-troll, a generic mounted Nazgul to rep the Easterling Nazgul, etc.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Mixed Warbands - sorry I am getting a bit confused with terminology.

Can I check:

A Warband is a 'Hero' + up to 12 others.

If I understand correctly for me a 'Warband' must be an easterling hero + assorted easterlings. This is fine. (Not allowed is an easterling hero + six east warriors + 6 corsairs.)

Now, a 500 point 'Army' when we buddy up, will essentially be an 'Alliance', so I may have 250 points of easterlings and Rob might have 250 points of harad. If I understand the Alliance rules, Rob's Bow limit is determined by 'his' part of the allied Army, not the total army. So effectively (if he takes a,b,c,d or whatever he needs to, he can have 50% bows = special rule). In parallel, quite separately, I can take 33% of my easterling force as bows.

I think that is right... ?
Thanks guys. I am liking the idea of capitals, bit more of a focus on what to capture and like the siege suggestion as well. Maybe the defenders rally out when relief force comes so you could have 250pt extra in the battle as well as the relief fi force but all heroes from the relief force have 0 might as they are a bit hungry.

Yes proxies are fine as long as they are roughly the right size, so let's say you could proxy warriors of Rohan as corsairs. Ben is completely using proxies. You could also use a high elf chariot a a khan dish chariot if you want (although lord of the rings models are preferred if possible as they don't have oversized weapons are are the same scale etc.). By the way I have a khandish chariot you could borrow Paul!

Yes buddying up works just like you said Paul, they are allied contingents and respect their own separate bow limit. Remember the force has to have a leader so just nominate one leader from all the allied heroes.

So with the warbands: a warband is a hero + 12 warriors that you have to take from the same list. Rob was talking about mixed warbands as I said Ben can add an ent to one of his warbands and the ent is from the wanderers in the wild list not the Durins folk list. Yes you're right you can't have 6 easterlings and 6 corsairs led by an easterlings captain, the corsairs would need their own captain.

Will try and edit the rules to include all the stuff we've been talking about.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(18-03-2016, 03:46 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: You could also use a high elf chariot a a khan dish chariot if you want (although lord of the rings models are preferred if possible as they don't have oversized weapons are are the same scale etc.). By the way I have a khandish chariot you could borrow Paul!

Yes I had a High Elf Chariot in mind for Khandish... so if you have one cool. And yes I was also thinking of using Rohan Cav for cav!!! Struggling on the camel front though - wargs look a bit like camels LOL!!!
(18-03-2016, 02:32 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Also I didn't want to go down the eliminating players route. It's almost like Will can read my mind - I was thinking if they lose the last node then I will create some more nodes for them to retreat into - it's a big middle earth after all and the campaign is only running for about 8months. Even if we manage to get two campaign turns in a month, which I think is very unlikely, that's a maximum of 16turns.

I like this idea, otherwise I forsee myself getting eliminated by the more experienced players.
G
(18-03-2016, 02:07 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(18-03-2016, 01:30 PM)Rob Lainchbury Wrote:
(16-03-2016, 03:30 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: You are allowed to use an ent. You may pick heroes from the Durins folk list and include an ent as a warrior with one of those warbands.

Just to clarify; between us in our teams (and two factions) we can we can mix and match our war bands from anything listed????

I'm happy to mix our army's and only take for our teams factions. (I know I queried last week if I could take wargs using the Knight of Umbar as a mordor contingent) <---- The answer was no - which was fair enough - stick to your teams factions. I just love warg riders Big Grin

However, Mixing war band can get problematic for some armies with special rules. Haradrim, Easterlings and Arnor being a few. My suggestion would be to keep the war band legal as these special rules would possible a/ give an unfair advantage b/mess up the special rules.

For example; Harad can have a bow limit of 50% if there use only 4 types of unit (a,b,c,d) if type E is used in the force or contingent then it goes down to 33%. If I took an easterling captain and Used Type A units from Harad - this is a mixed war band from where??? what special rules do I use Harad or Easterlings.

Summing up; Personally I'm Happy to mix the army but not the war bands. Reasons above. Ultimately (as Chris say's) this is everyones campaign so I'm happy with democracy we can go ahead with the mixed war bands if everyone wants to, or not - I just thought it was a good point to point out Big Grin

also I understand this makes it a bit difficult/ expensive to take an Ent I believe. Not sure what the option would be?!

Sorry Chris for giving you more things to think about!!!

Hi Rob. I was allowing Ben to take an ent as he asked and no one had asked before. In general no you can't take mixed warbands. I want people to use what they want but with certain limits and Ben using Ents brings them into the campaign which I figure is fun for all. Furthermore he has no access to cavalry or monsters otherwise so I thought it make make things more interesting for him. For him to include a hero from the wandering folk list in order to include an ent seems like to big a points chunk for him to ever take them, and although Ents are tough I don't think this is going to give him an unfair advantage. In fact if he takes one his model count is going to be pretty low....

Regarding you using the knight of umbra from the mordor list - the mordor list is already chosen by Will so you can't use Mordor. Furthermore you already have access to cavalry and a very largemonster elephant thing, plus camels and the mahud and half trolls and corsairs...

So to sum up, Ben's is a special case to include Ents. If this seems like favouritism then sorry but I think it's fair and fun for the reasons listed above. There are no mixed warbands in general.

I am also going to allow Stu to take Eagles since he has asked and they are also from the wanderer in the wild list, which in game seems designed to aid the good guys when they need it.

If you are unhappy with your army choice Rob then it's not too late to change - Moria, Angmar are still available for the bad guys, so if you wanted you could pick one of those instead - Angmar has access to warg riders. Whatever you decide I think the map positions are now fixed.

I hope that all explains my reasons for letting Ben take Ents as a special case. (And now stu to take eagles... Smile mainly coswhy not and it's fun and no one else is taking them)

This is fine for me. I was wondering if this was a rule across the board to have mixed warbands - rather than a special case.

I'm happy with this Smile
LOTR/Hobbit SBG: Rohan, Minas Tirith, Numenor, Mordor, Moria & Angmar, Isengard, Harad & Umbar, Eregion & Rivendel, Durins Folk, Fellowship, White Council
Great, think we are all set then! Thanks for the feedback guys.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I know it's at an early stage but just wondered if anyone has any thoughts about any problems with how the campaign is running and any points they can think of to improve it.

Personally I can see it's actually quite hard to defend the ground you've won (as predicted by Paul!) as it stands so I'm considering an update at the beginning of turn 3.

At the moment I'm thinking of three options:
1. Your army can spend a turns movement to 'encamp' - it becomes a defence force. A new 500pt force is raised at your capital in the end phase. Any named heroes can of course 'transfer out' as per the current rules.
2. Just give every team an additional 500pt army raised at one of their capitals (this would be in addition to the 500pt army gained if you control 6 nodes).
3. Each node automatically gains a defence force of 500pts if a friendly army is not present. Only generic heroes allowed.

Also, if anyone gets stuck in their capital I'm going to give them a bit of help in the next battle in the form of a wizard or some monstery thing - might spice things up a bit!
(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: At the moment I'm thinking of three options:
1. Your army can spend a turns movement to 'encamp' - it becomes a defence force. A new 500pt force is raised at your capital in the end phase. Any named heroes can of course 'transfer out' as per the current rules.

I was thinking about this over the past few days.. Yes, Defending positions would be difficult. I thoughts were "whatever force you took into battle for that particular node is what stays in that node to defend it" so would "encamp" automatically, bar the named hero's and newly named hero's - these could be substituted out for generic captains so the named hero's can move on to other nodes. So we just need to keep track on a thread for each node.

Another though for defending of attacking node would to be roll on a chart before the fight;
1= defending team gets ambushed.
2-5 = Normal fight
6 = Attacking team gets Ambushed

We'll need to work our rules for ambushed scenario's - there should be one in a source book somewhere, I'll have a look!

But this could be fun Smile What you do think Chris?

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: 2. Just give every team an additional 500pt army raised at one of their capitals (this would be in addition to the 500pt army gained if you control 6 nodes).

Currently I'm happy with the two armies - If you add more armies then I think you may need to increase the nodes and pathways between them. other wise I'm happy Smile

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: 3. Each node automatically gains a defence force of 500pts if a friendly army is not present. Only generic heroes allowed.

This would be covered above - but not for the freely taken nodes. So those would need to be given a defence force.

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Also, if anyone gets stuck in their capital I'm going to give them a bit of help in the next battle in the form of a wizard or some monstery thing - might spice things up a bit!

Agreed If people get stuck a few times and it gets demoralising for them then it would be fun for them to have a monster or wizard.

On the flip side - If I was the one that was dyeing and stuck I would be happy to be killed off as it is a campaign and the aim is to kill people Big Grin Muhahahahah!!!!*Cough* Sorry about that.....!?

All in all, these are my thoughts and feel free to take what you like from them Smile
LOTR/Hobbit SBG: Rohan, Minas Tirith, Numenor, Mordor, Moria & Angmar, Isengard, Harad & Umbar, Eregion & Rivendel, Durins Folk, Fellowship, White Council
(24-03-2016, 02:03 PM)Rob Lainchbury Wrote:
(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: At the moment I'm thinking of three options:

I was thinking about this over the past few days.. Yes, Defending positions would be difficult. I thoughts were "whatever force you took into battle for that particular node is what stays in that node to defend it" so would "encamp" automatically, bar the named hero's and newly named hero's - these could be substituted out for generic captains so the named hero's can move on to other nodes. So we just need to keep track on a thread for each node.

Another though for defending of attacking node would to be roll on a chart before the fight;
1= defending team gets ambushed.
2-5 = Normal fight
6 = Attacking team gets Ambushed

We'll need to work our rules for ambushed scenario's - there should be one in a source book somewhere, I'll have a look!

But this could be fun Smile What you do think Chris?

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: 2. Just give every team an additional 500pt army raised at one of their capitals (this would be in addition to the 500pt army gained if you control 6 nodes).

Currently I'm happy with the two armies - If you add more armies then I think you may need to increase the nodes and pathways between them. other wise I'm happy Smile

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: 3. Each node automatically gains a defence force of 500pts if a friendly army is not present. Only generic heroes allowed.

This would be covered above - but not for the freely taken nodes. So those would need to be given a defence force.

(24-03-2016, 10:25 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Also, if anyone gets stuck in their capital I'm going to give them a bit of help in the next battle in the form of a wizard or some monstery thing - might spice things up a bit!

Agreed If people get stuck a few times and it gets demoralising for them then it would be fun for them to have a monster or wizard.

On the flip side - If I was the one that was dyeing and stuck I would be happy to be killed off as it is a campaign and the aim is to kill people Big Grin Muhahahahah!!!!*Cough* Sorry about that.....!?

All in all, these are my thoughts and feel free to take what you like from them Smile

I'm inclined towards an automatic defence force for sake of easiness. This could lead to a lot of extra battles though.

The monster/wizard idea sounds awesome!! Maybe I can have Greg the Friendly Troll!

Also I thought that the idea was no one would get knocked out completely Rob, and that Chris might GM extra nodes or bonuses in.