Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New necron list
So after a great result at cally I feel I could have done so much better if I had a faster moving deathstar and more shooting. The core of the list couldn't have done better but having so many points tied up in a unit that can only move 6" and has very little shooting cost me a higher finish. Also having sooooooo many war scythes seemed a bit of a waste as there were very few tanks about especially on the top tables.

That being said I am looking at the following list going forward. Praetorians are jump infantry which solves my movement problem. They get a s5 ap2 shot each (only 12" range but still :p). They are also fearless which is a big deal for me as I could only achieve this by changing my warlord trait.

Zandrekh was great for his 2+ re rollable save (with orikans buff) but did very little other than that. I've decided on a nightmare shroud overlord instead as he has the same save, can take a war scythe, can take a res orb, can force a leadership test on any unit (which will be amazing against non fearless Death Stars like centurion bombs) and call roll for a trait first turn which could really help (infiltrate, re roll reserves, stealth ruins etc).

The tax for praetorians in a decurion is having to take a stalker which a first glance sucks. However after looking at the army as a whole +1 bs within 6", a twin linked multi melta and the fact it's an av13 walker makes them pretty good. I could charge 100 termagants or a seer council and they can't even scratch it.

Overlord: Nightmare Shroud; Warscythe; Gauntlet of Fire; Resurrection Orb; Phase Shifter 195
Overlord: Veil of Darkness; Warscythe; Gauntlet of Fire; Resurrection Orb; Phase Shifter 185
Lord: Solar Staff 65
Orikan the Diviner 120

10 Warriors 130
• Ghost Ark 105
10 Warriors 130
• Ghost Ark 105
5 Immortals 85

8 Triarch Praetorians 224
5 Triarch Praetorians 140
1 Triarch Stalker 125
5 Deathmarks 90
5 Deathmarks 90

3 Tomb Blades: 3× Nebuloscopes 60

1,849 points
No Tachyon Arrow? Tongue

I really like this list mate!

Cannot really avoid the deathstar(s) which was possible in the old list, my only concern is the the characters getting left behind, I think moving turn1 with the Overlord with a 2+ re-roll save and running them into midfield, then turn2 moving 12" with the Praetorians and stringing back to the characters, ready shoot/charge. Or using Veil, is the way to go. I didn't feel Eldrad and the Archon slowed my Council down, but they didn't want/need to be at the front.

But.. just had a thought about a Destroyer Lord doing the job of the Overlord.

Using an Allied detachment, of 5 Immortals and Destroyer Lord. I think you'd have to drop a Ghostark if my math is right...

Destroyer Lord with all the toys 210, 5 Immortals 85.

Dropping the Overlord with Nightmare Shroud and the Ghostark gives you the same pts?

Although I'm not sure how that effects the Royal court/Decurion?

Like it Nick. I found also that I had too many warscythes which were not needed, I had too little ap2 shooting (ie none) against the centurion lists and was hard to get into combat against a mobile enemy.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I need to have 1 overlord for the reclamation legion (compulsory) and an overlord, lord and cryptek for the royal court so I can just drop a character unfortunately! I've tried so hard to get a destroyer lord in but the 85pt immortal tax basically makes him 300pts Sad
(22-07-2015, 11:17 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Like it Nick. I found also that I had too many warscythes which were not needed, I had too little ap2 shooting (ie none) against the centurion lists and was hard to get into combat against a mobile enemy.

Glad we both had the same problems :p confirms I wasn't just playing badly haha. Really like the idea of praetorians instead of lychguard and wraiths although the scarabs were really useful. How did you find the ghost arks? Mine were amazing! Tbh tho the deathmarks were my best unit all weekend lol
Ghost arks were great, stood up well to shooting, liked the mobility. My problem really was the two list I lost badly to were cent stars and when they had invisibility even if I could catch them I bounced, so had no answer to that type of list. Did you face a cent star and how would you play against them?

What did the deathmarks do that was so good, and how did you use the scarabs?

The praetorians do look good, against ap3 or better shooting they are less survivable than the wraiths but will always get there RP whereas the wraiths I struggled to keep in range of the spyder or the spyder got bumped off early. Careful placement for cover saves and they could be better due to those ap2 shots.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(22-07-2015, 10:53 AM)Nick1988 Wrote: I could charge 100 termagants or a seer council and they can't even scratch it.

Now who would take that many gaunts/gants? B)

I personally think the stalker is a good investment of points, Av13 walkers can be hard to deal with and the +1 BS bubble is a really nice boost.

I was gonna ask about anti air but I suppose with your necrony toughness and new found mobility you can avoid having to deal with flyers, and deal with units on the ground plus score maelstrom until they have land/hover? I'm specifically thinking of the flying circus that seems to be the current tournament tyranid list!
Warhammer Fantasy Beastmen, Woodelves; Warhammer 40K Dark Eldar, Blood angels, Tyranids; Battlefleet Gothic Imperial, Dark Eldar; Saga Vikings; Guild ball Masons; Dropzone Commander & Dropfleet PHR, UCM(dropfleet only); Lord of the rings Mordor, Gundabad; Beyond the gates of Antares Ghar Outcast Rebels
Quote:"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain."

(22-07-2015, 11:51 AM)will Wrote:
(22-07-2015, 10:53 AM)Nick1988 Wrote: I could charge 100 termagants or a seer council and they can't even scratch it.

Now who would take that many gaunts/gants? B)

I personally think the stalker is a good investment of points, Av13 walkers can be hard to deal with and the +1 BS bubble is a really nice boost.

I was gonna ask about anti air but I suppose with your necrony toughness and new found mobility you can avoid having to deal with flyers, and deal with units on the ground plus score maelstrom until they have land/hover? I'm specifically thinking of the flying circus that seems to be the current tournament tyranid list!

Only the cheesy Nids players I hear, they all take 100+... UndecidedTongue

The best way to beat flying Nids, is to survive the alpha strike and go second, clearing the ground targets then waiting/surviving until turn5 when you can assault and kill the Crones/Harpies and then Tyrants turn6/7.

I have no dedicated skydive but 60 gauss shots should take down a tyrant or two eventually lol. But yeah they have no ap so can't really hurt me so going second means I can charge them when they land and I SHOULD easily kill them in combat!
Just reading through this thread I remember that I was really quite lucky not to face any Necrons at Cally at all haha.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.