Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escalation campaign? And possible new 40K campaign for the summer
Hi all,

I was wondering if the Escalation campaign that started back in the spring is still going? I've not been down for a few weeks now due to finishing my teacher training (qualified, grade 1), but I haven't been hearing much about it.

With the summer school holiday stretching ahead, my thoughts have turned to possibly coordinating a summer/ autumn campaign/ league for RedWarSoc 40k players. I've always wanted to do one, but never quite had the time or local player base.

Anyway, given the initial interest I saw in Vince's escalation, campaign, I think this could work nicely. My initial rough sketch is for the campaign to be league based, beginning at a compact 750pts, with a heavily restricted FOC (1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 Heavy, 1 Fast Attack, min 2 Troop, no AV14, some kind of limit on psychic, no flyers, no super-heavies, no named characters) . Victory and booty will lead to an unlocking of points and the FOC, in a measured way. I'm thinking of running an artificial money system too, with each victory giving you x imperial credits (monopoly money), which you can use to buy an extra 25 points to your army list, an additional Elites slot, and army-wide special rule, unlocking AV14 etc. To prevent leading armies running away with it, there would be an "underdog" booster payout for low ranking armies that take on and draw or beat the top tiered players. I would update the league weekly, and possibly even have a prize at the end of a fixed time scale, like eight weeks.

What are people's initial thoughts? I would look to start this campaign around the middle of August.

Stay nerdy,

Matt
Dropfleet Commander- 3000pts Scourge, 1500pts PHR

Dropzone Commander- 3000pts Scourge, 600pts UCM
PM me anytime to arrange DzC tutorials if you are interested in the game.

Magic the Gathering

UK Dropfleet Champion, Summer Invasion 2017
Warboar Dropfleet Winner, 12.11.17
2nd at Fleet Muster 2, Firestorm Games 10.12.17
Battle for Tlalacon Winner, Beach-Head 2018
(08-07-2015, 09:19 PM)scoundrel13 Wrote: Hi all,

I was wondering if the Escalation campaign that started back in the spring is still going? I've not been down for a few weeks now due to finishing my teacher training (qualified, grade 1), but I haven't been hearing much about it.

With the summer school holiday stretching ahead, my thoughts have turned to possibly coordinating a summer/ autumn campaign/ league for RedWarSoc 40k players. I've always wanted to do one, but never quite had the time or local player base.

Anyway, given the initial interest I saw in Vince's escalation, campaign, I think this could work nicely. My initial rough sketch is for the campaign to be league based, beginning at a compact 750pts, with a heavily restricted FOC (1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 Heavy, 1 Fast Attack, min 2 Troop, no AV14, some kind of limit on psychic, no flyers, no super-heavies, no named characters) . Victory and booty will lead to an unlocking of points and the FOC, in a measured way. I'm thinking of running an artificial money system too, with each victory giving you x imperial credits (monopoly money), which you can use to buy an extra 25 points to your army list, an additional Elites slot, and army-wide special rule, unlocking AV14 etc. To prevent leading armies running away with it, there would be an "underdog" booster payout for low ranking armies that take on and draw or beat the top tiered players. I would update the league weekly, and possibly even have a prize at the end of a fixed time scale, like eight weeks.

What are people's initial thoughts? I would look to start this campaign around the middle of August.

Stay nerdy,

Matt

Would you let me use my 30k Alphas? (see this thread for how people feel about that http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=2381)

I know vince has just popped back onto the radar after some time away so he may still be running the escalation campaign.

Regardless i am so game for this. Have you seen the Mini wargaming warzone apothis campaign rules... Might be something to look at for the monopoly money idea.
(08-07-2015, 09:46 PM)Alpharius Wrote: [quote='scoundrel13' pid='32272' dateline='1436386743']

Would you let me use my 30k Alphas? (see this thread for how people feel about that http://forum.redwarsoc.com/showthread.php?tid=2381)

I know vince has just popped back onto the radar after some time away so he may still be running the escalation campaign.

Regardless i am so game for this. Have you seen the Mini wargaming warzone apothis campaign rules... Might be something to look at for the monopoly money idea.

Yes you could use your Alphas, of course! 30K would be permitted.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. And glad you are interested!

Magic the Gathering

I'm interested, but am away mid August till beginning of September so would prefer it to start after the holidays.

Really like the idea, would be entering with the new dark angels codex. Would it just be using the CAD with the limits you said or as it progresses would you be allowed to organise units into formations? Eg I get a land speeder and an attack bike - can I take this as the ravenwing attack formation?

Re the escalation thing, I was loving it while it lasted but it died a death so I think it would be best to start again rather than try and resurrect this - I haven't seen several of the guys who signed up to this at the club for a while.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I'd be willing to join and play but not run anything, to much on my plate at the minute!

You can feel free to use any of the bits i have put on the forum and use/rewrite/abuse as you see fit. Smile
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(09-07-2015, 09:49 AM)manrogue Wrote: I'd be willing to join and play but not run anything, to much on my plate at the minute!

You can feel free to use any of the bits i have put on the forum and use/rewrite/abuse as you see fit. Smile

Thanks Vince! Yeah I totally understand, it would still be great to have you as a player.

Magic the Gathering

(09-07-2015, 07:48 AM)jaqenhgar Wrote: I'm interested, but am away mid August till beginning of September so would prefer it to start after the holidays.

Really like the idea, would be entering with the new dark angels codex. Would it just be using the CAD with the limits you said or as it progresses would you be allowed to organise units into formations? Eg I get a land speeder and an attack bike - can I take this as the ravenwing attack formation?

Re the escalation thing, I was loving it while it lasted but it died a death so I think it would be best to start again rather than try and resurrect this - I haven't seen several of the guys who signed up to this at the club for a while.

Dates are flexible, I would probably do advertising and generating interest early August, the collecting of initial army lists and giving out league packs mid to late August, first week's league play in early September. Lists and stuff could be sent online if this suits you, of course Smile

I am not sure about formations, I don't know whether some of them might be too overpowered at the points level I am thinking of for the league (750 rising gradually to a ceiling limit of 1000). It could be that all formations are allowed, and I will see how that progresses, and the kinds of formations people use. If any game-breaking ones start to emerge, I'll make a note and limit those for the next league that is run. Could also have formations as a bought upgrade.

I too really enjoyed those early stages of the Escalation campaign, where the points were low. I think it made you think really tactically about army selections, and it reduced game time to a comfortable length. That's what I'm trying to recreate with the league really.

Magic the Gathering

OK, here we go. I wrote up a beta version for the rules of the campaign. I will add more as I think of it and/ or receive feedback.

Each player would keep money, bought upgrades (represented by small laminated sections of paper) and army lists in a LEAGUE PACK, which they could take home and bring in for games. I would keep track of bought upgrades, lists and league positions on a central database on my laptop.

MAROON VALE LEAGUE CAMPAIGN- VERSION 1.0

Starting army restrictions:
750 points
1 HQ selection max. A single HQ choice may not total more than 20% of the total army points limit. For example, an 800 point army could spend up to 160 points on a single HQ choice.
2 Troop selections min.
1 Elite selection max.
1 Heavy selection max.
1 Fast Attack selection max.
2 Dedicated transports max.
No AV 14 (can be unlocked).
30K permitted.
No super-heavies or named characters.
No flyers (must be unlocked).
No formations (must be unlocked).
Forge World permitted.
Invisibility is banned.
Level 1 psykers only (Higher levels can be unlocked).
No repetition of Elite, Heavy or Fast Attack units
A single allied detachment may be taken, totalling no more than 250 points. The allied detachment may contain only 1 HQ choice and two Troop choices.

Eternal War missions, with following amendment: empty dedicated transports can never hold objectives. League table decided on football scoring basis. 3 points for win, 1 for draw, 0 for loss. Score contributes to a goal difference, for and against.
Players may arrange battles in the usual way, but specifying that they are seeking a Maroon Vale league game. In this way, competitors may play as often or as little as they like, dipping in and out whenever they wish.

WAR BOOTY

FOOT SLOGGER- Took part in a campaign battle. $300
ARTIST- Entire army is painted. $100
PERFECTIONIST- Entire army is based. $100
VICTOR- Won the battle. $200
SLAYER- Won by more than 5 VPs. $100
PRAGMATIST- Drew the battle. $100
DUELLIST- Killed enemy warlord with your own general in a heroic duel. $200
BRAVE- Fought an opponent of higher rank, but lost. $100
UNDERDOG- Defeated an opponent of higher rank! $300
GAMBLER- Drew with an opponent of higher rank. $200
INSANE BRAVERY- Fought the current league leader, but lost. $200
FEARLESS HEROICS- Defeated the league leader! $400
SLY FOX- Snatched a draw from the league leader. $300
KHORNE'S CHOSEN- Finished the game with less than ten models on the table. $100
MARATHON GAMER- The game went to seven turns. $100
LUCKY FUCKER- You passed some kind of ridiculous, crucial roll (opponent must agree). $100

MANUFACTORUM
Extra HQ slot (max 2): $1000
Extra Elites slot (max 3): $1200
Extra Fast Attack slot (max 3): $1100
Extra Heavy slot (max 3): $1300
Extra dedicated transport: $300
Increase to 800pts: $400
Increase to 850pts: $500
Increase to 900pts: $600
Increase to 950pts: $700
Increase to 1000pts: $800
(For each of the points increase upgrades, you must possess the preceding upgrade)
Unlock AV14: $1400
May take a single flyer: $1500
Access level 2 psykers: $400
Access level 2 and 3 psykers: $1000
May use a single formation: $600

MUNITORIUM (Max 1 for each of these)
SCOUTS- If you deployed first, you may re-deploy a single unit immediately after your opponent has finished deploying. $100
AMMUNITION DUMP- Once per game, nominate a single unit. For a single shooting phase, that unit gains twin-linked. $200
ILLEGAL CHEMS- Nominate a single unit. For the duration of the game, that unit adds 3” to its charge distance rolls. $300
STEALTH SUITS- Nominate a single unit. This unit may assault on the same turn they arrive from reserve. $400
NULL FIELD GENERATOR- All Invulnerable saves for both players are reduced by one point. For example, a Terminator save would be reduced to 2+/6++ for the duration of the game. $600
COMMORITE POISONS- Choose an enemy character or monstrous creature. The Toughness value of that model is reduced by 1 for the duration of the game. $600

Bit rough around the edges, but let me have your feedback! "Maroon Vale" as a name might change, when I think of something better. It's a play on "Red Ditch".

Magic the Gathering

What points would you be looking to run up too. I notice your upgrades table only runs to 1000 pts.

Things do seem a little steep....

Also you say 30k is good yet forgeword within reason..... I would be all FW.
I don't mind not having formations, was just wondering.
I like the rules, my only concern is are the things you can buy too expensive?
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari