Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airbrushes
Hey all

Recently looked at getting my army painted by commision due to not owning an airbrush to do my legion colours (FW paint schemes and lack of skill on my part makes it difficult) yet the expense is huge. Decided to try doing them myself.

Just wondering if anyone is

A) Selling an airbrush
B) Know where i can find one thats a nice balance of cheap and reliable.
C) Any hint, tips, dos and donts?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Just PM'd you a load of links lol

I recommend using Vallejo air as it is ready to go straight away, whereas using GW or Model colour requires thinning and can be a pain to get thinning ratio right.

When you get it, experiment on a old model or something to get the hang of it and i paint models by glueing to a cocktail stick (should be some examples in my hobby thread.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I recently purchased a brush and compressor from Bartsharp. Nice set of stuff. Only a low-mid range brush to start.

But... I am a noob and still learning I have been mixing Vallejo paints with acrylic thinner, and it is all tricky as a noob... I have just about got the hang of the basics now, a lot of learning by failing and figuring out where I was going wrong, watching you-tube, etc. Like having compressor on a low 15ppi pressure... I had it too high...

I am going to get some Vellejo air paints as my next stage...
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Seeing as this has popped up as a topic, it might be worth mentioning that Forge World are working on a range of paints designed for Heresy Era colours. I have heard that these are being formulated with airbrushing in mind.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I have been having difficulties with getting a consistent flow of paint.

I generally have my PSI set around 30, as although I'd like to be around 18 for layering purposes, I can't seem to run that low at all with my current set up.
Needle sizes, I have tried a 0.2, 0.3 and a 0.5

Paints I have tried include the Vallejo Model Air range, Minitaire, Games Workshop.
Generally I thin things down with either water or airbrush thinner.
However! I have watched videos with people spraying directly out of the bottle with Minitaire and to an extent, Vallejo, and getting great results.
Not sure if it is something I am doing or something I am not familiar with on my airbrush.

It is a HSENG AS186 Compressor with an Airbrush supplied as a set from Hollywood Trade.

My technique doesn't appear to be any different to what is being displayed on videos and such, and I am quite comfortable stripping down the airbrush and putting it back together.

Will be at club later, and happy to take tips and such!
Would be nice to be able to get my moneys worth out of the airbrush! lol
The worst time to have a heart attack is
in a game of Charades.

Bolt Action Soviet Union
W30K Adeptus Mechanicus
W40K Tyranids, Khorne Daemonkin
Warmahordes Circle Orboros
(19-05-2015, 05:00 PM)Khronic Wrote: I have been having difficulties with getting a consistent flow of paint.

I generally have my PSI set around 30, as although I'd like to be around 18 for layering purposes, I can't seem to run that low at all with my current set up.
Needle sizes, I have tried a 0.2, 0.3 and a 0.5

Paints I have tried include the Vallejo Model Air range, Minitaire, Games Workshop.
Generally I thin things down with either water or airbrush thinner.
However! I have watched videos with people spraying directly out of the bottle with Minitaire and to an extent, Vallejo, and getting great results.
Not sure if it is something I am doing or something I am not familiar with on my airbrush.

It is a HSENG AS186 Compressor with an Airbrush supplied as a set from Hollywood Trade.

My technique doesn't appear to be any different to what is being displayed on videos and such, and I am quite comfortable stripping down the airbrush and putting it back together.

Will be at club later, and happy to take tips and such!
Would be nice to be able to get my moneys worth out of the airbrush! lol

Howbdo you change the pressure on that model i have brought the same one and i cant see how to do it.
I had read about these, but I have just seen a photo to confirm. GW are set to release Citadel Air paints. Looks like they are the same colours as existing colours (white scar for example should be the same as the standard colour rather than a slightly different hue.)
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen