Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-Competitive Khorne Daemonkin
(27-04-2015, 02:21 PM)Dedwoods42 Wrote: I'll be grabbing a Thirster first, as I can't wait to paint one - the two Maulerfiends will probably be more effective on the board. Just a shame the model is so expensive. I'd magnetise both to have the option of running Forgefiends too, mind!

A trick I've seen used a lot, which is a bit dirty, is abusing Kor'Lath's rules.
Give to JuggerLord. Throw into combat. Get 7 Tithe points. Sacrifice Lord for Daemon Prince. Lord dies as a result of being sacrificed, Bloodthirster is generated. All wargear is transferred to Daemon Prince - get him in combat. He dies, and a second Bloodthirster is generated...
Dirty, but I like it.

Yep, JuggerLords are great. My standard CSM one with the Axe of Blind Fury gets serious work done against MEQ, so can't wait to try out a Daemonkin one. I've seen the Kor'Lath thing before and it's hilarious how the actual wording seems to support that too.

I've seen people magnetize Mauler/Forge Fiends but I didn't with mine. It's not entirely straight forward, as the kit lends itself to being one or the other, but I've seen some conversions where the forge fiend weapon arms are magnetized on the Maulerfiend's back on the top of the carapace. I'm sure there's a bunch of tutorials on it, but that looks quite good.
Warhammer 40K (Astra Militarum & CSM/1KSons/Daemons) | AoS (Daemons of Chaos) | Dropfleet Commander (UCM) 
Models painted in 2017: 74
Models painted in 2018: 45
Models painted in 2019: 55
I've neglected to run one with my vanilla CSM or Crimson Slaughter - I'll be changing that!
It's mad isn't it? I suppose it's a little balanced as the Bloodthirsters summoned by Kor'Lath are inherently crippled, and will likely only last two turns - but that may well be enough to wipe an elite unit on the charge...

Aye - I was going to go with something like that, or mounting the cannons underarm. There will be a way, I like a challenge Tongue
40K - Tyranids (4500 Points) & Chaos - The Purge and the Brazen Host (8500 Points)
30K - Death Guard (2000ish Points), Sons of Horus (175 Points because Loken) + World Eaters, soon.
Project Log
"Only a fool takes Khârn for a mindless brute or rabid dog. Under that blood-soaked helm lurks an intelligence and cunning that makes him a masterful killer - trust me when I say that there is a dark purpose in his madness."
So, I had my first game with the Daemonkin last night against Dann's Necrons at 1250 Points.
It was purely to try out the blood tide, using only the models from my CSM/Crimson Slaughter, and pretty much only painted ones. As such, my list is awful; unbalanced as it gets.
Here's a rundown and some of my impressions:

My army:
-Daemon Prince. Blood Forged Armour, Daemonic Flight and CCW. (WL.)
-Chaos Lord. Terminator Armour, Combi-Melta, Blade of Endless Bloodshed, Sigil.

-7 Cultists, Champion. Just Autopistols & CCW.
-8 Berserkers. Chainaxes, Icon of Wrath. Champion. Axe of Khorne, Lightning Claw.

-4 Chaos Terminators. 3x Combi-Melta, a Power Fist, a Power Axe, a Power Maul, a Reaper Autocannon, a Chainfist, Icon of Wrath. Champion. Combi-Melta, Power Fist.

-Helbrute. TL Lascannon, Power Fist.

Yes, I know, it's awful.

Dann's Army:

-Necron Lord. (WL.)
-Cryptek.

-10x Warriors.
-10x Warriors.
-20x Warriors.

-3x Destroyers.

-3x Heavy Destroyers.
-Doom Scythe.
-Doomsday Ark.

Dann had two objectives in his deployment, I had 1. He deployed first, and went first.
He rolled Infiltration on Strategic, but didn't bother infiltrating anything.
I rolled +1 Attack on KDK.

I won't do a turn by turn, just an analysis of each unit's performance.

The Daemon Prince failed his T1 charge (just, needed 11" and got 10". It was a bit ambitious) and lost 3 wounds before hitting combat on T2. I could, and should, have hopped him between LoS blocking buildings to prevent this, or force his Destroyers forward to deal with it. The Blood Forged armour is amazing though, had he not had it he would have died without getting into combat at all. Once in combat, I rolled poorly to hit and he only dropped 3 Warriors at his I step. I then failed a shed load of 3+ saves (a trend that will continue) and he was killed. My fault, could have been far more effective.

The cultists were fantastic. Soaking fire, generating early Tithe points and golding my objective - as well as a crippled squad of 5 killing a Warrior with an Autopistol and making a 10" charge with no Overwatch to tarpit the 20 man blob before the Prince made his 1" charge...

The Berserksers had Khorne smiling on them. Despite 8 of them (coincidence?) being shot to pieces before getting into combat - the Champion and one other member of the squad hit a 10 man Warrior squad on an Objective, dodged all of the rapid fire Gauss Overwatch and then swept them without taking an unsaved wound. They consolidated onto an Objective and then were mown down by Heavy Destroyer fire. Once again, my fault - they were ignored entirely whilst the Prince was alive, and would have done a lot more damage had he remained as such for a little longer. The Champion had a Lightning Claw and Axe purely because it was the cheapest way to still get an extra attack and take the Axe - and because I've converted Vrosh Tattersoul into a Khorne character of some description and his pose lends itself well to Berserksers. They'll be getting a fresh lick of paint, new weapons (magnetised!) and 32mm bases in the coming weeks, I feel that they deserve it.

The Terminators were pretty awesome - but didn't come in until turn 4, and just in time so that I wasn't tabled. They dropped safely an inch from the Doomsday Ark, ruined it's day with Melta then charged into the big blob of Warriors next turn. They soaked an astonishing amount of fire, passing an incredible amount of Invuln saves throughout and only losing a single Terminator before combat. Once there, they wrecked face and tore a swathe through the Warriors, taking no wounds in return, and won combat. The robots failed their Ld check and legged it. The Blade of Endless Bloodshed is a cool relic, but would be better served on something like a JuggerHerald I feel.

The Helbrute was rubbish. Dropped a Hull Point T1, went mad, ran at the enemy instead of shooting, had it's powerfist destroyed then was wrecked. I should have brought 125 points more cultists...

Overall I lost 3-1; First Blood, Slay the Warlord and Objective 3 against Slay the Warlord.
Really though, I won. Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows; only that it does.

It was great fun, and I love the feel the Daemonkin codex provides. The Blood Tithe is fluffy and really helpful - even at this points limit I got FNP up twice and could have summoned a Bloodthirster too, had I had any characters on the board at that point. Instead I summoned a unit of 8 Bloodletters (proxy cultists) who managed to prevent me being tabled.

I'm looking forward to putting together a proper KDK army, with a faster element - as that was what let me down the most.
40K - Tyranids (4500 Points) & Chaos - The Purge and the Brazen Host (8500 Points)
30K - Death Guard (2000ish Points), Sons of Horus (175 Points because Loken) + World Eaters, soon.
Project Log
"Only a fool takes Khârn for a mindless brute or rabid dog. Under that blood-soaked helm lurks an intelligence and cunning that makes him a masterful killer - trust me when I say that there is a dark purpose in his madness."