Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change to vehicle Movement
Spotted this on Dakka this morning, big change in vehicle movement-

Quote:In 6th Edition, the rules stated 'turning' did not reduce the vehicle movement.

That sentence has gone. It has been changed to
''Vehicles can turn any number of times as they move, just like any other model. Vehicles
turn by pivoting on the spot about their centre-point, rather than wheeling round.
Pivoting on the spot alone does not count as moving, so a vehicle that only pivots in
the Movement phase counts as Stationary[''

In contrast, these were the 6th ed rules
Vehicles turn by pivoting on the
spot about their centre-point, rather than wheeling round.
Turning does not reduce the vehicle's movement. Pivoting
on the spot alone does not count as moving, so a vehicle that
only pivots in the Movement phase counts as Stationary

Specifically it doesn't count as moving if your only pivoting. On the RAI side, this is not a copy and paste error, this line has been picked out and removed from the paragraph.

All of that said, the points brought forward to disprove are.

1. Pivoting is done during movement. It's not a separate entity which sits outside of the movement barriers.
2. To measure a vehicle for movement up to 6'', no part of the hull can end it's movement more than 6'' from where it started. (Apply to different movement distances as appropriate).

Which means that (assuming the vehicle isn't a perfect square of course):

A Vehicle which start or ends it's movement with a pivot before or after measuring, where part of the hull is further than 6inches from where it started has traveled more than 6" and up to 12" - Cruising Speed.

So with the change, no more putting the model sideways, free pivot, gain 2" in movement?
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Booo! Didn't notice that... lol

I hadn't to be honest, check the YMDC (rules queries) section on Dakka regularly, and spotted it.

Seems cut and dry to me but anyone else interpret it differently?

A lot of Dark eldar and Necron players (:cough: ghost arks and raiders gain about 3" from this :cough: ) are trying to claim pivots are still free movement and RAI is intended is the old way lol
Blood bowl Skaven
reading the paragraph as it sits in the post it sounds like I can move 6 inches forward, then pivot on the spot (still counted as only moving 6 inches) and then choose to either move again or sit there.

is that how you guys are reading it or are you reading it a different way?
40K: Orks and Chaos Space Marines

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth
Nope pivots only count as free movement if you are stationary according to that new paragraph, at least from how i read it. If you move (assuming a normal tank) you can be no more than 6" from start including pivots.
Blood bowl Skaven
(01-07-2014, 11:32 PM)manrogue Wrote: Nope pivots only count as free movement if you are stationary according to that new paragraph, at least from how i read it. If you move (assuming a normal tank) you can be no more than 6" from start including pivots.

PG73
I read it as stationary vehicle doesn't count as moving when pivoting (so can fire all weapons)

A vehicle can pivot as many times as it like and it doesn't reduce movement, so imo and I think its quite clear, vehicles can start side ways, pivot to gain extra range and end at whatever angle then want as long as they only pivot from the centre point. Tongue

Ah, it doesn't say that anymore, key phrase missing in 7th-
"Turning does not reduce the vehicle's movement".

As this phrase is missing, you do not have permission to move further than your movement and any pivots are included in your movement.

Only time you have permission to use a free Pivot is if you remain stationary.
"Pivoting on the spot alone does not count as moving, so a vehicle that only pivots in the Movement phase counts as Stationary''
Blood bowl Skaven