Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Might be interested in trying Fantasy
Hi guys

Took a quick look at some of the WFB games going on at the last meet and decided I might be up for having a go at it again some time this year.

Although I've mostly been in to 40K in the past I've kind of lost interest recently what with all the large vehicles and ever-increasingly-powerful units being released, it just doesn't do it for me, I preferred the skirmish feel of the older editions (still like the lore and books though).

Anyway, historically I never really got in to Fantasy, even when I worked at GW I was among a minority of staff who didn't actually know the rules to one of the core games very well LOL Rolleyes Way back in my teens I did collect Undead, but in Man O' War and Blood Bowl I had Dark Elves and I think that really these guys are more my thing.

So, what sort of points value makes a useable army for a club night? Funds are limited for spending on toy soldiers so I don't want millions of troops and I'm unlikely to collect a giant army, but prices of WFB minis seem more reasonable compared to 40K minis. I do have some plastic Dark Elf spearmen and crossbowmen from the previous edition of the game, but these may be out of date? I have some older style Dark Riders too and a metal sorceress model still in the blister. Any use?

thanks

Graham
40K - Chaos Space Marines BloodBowl - Dark Elves & Ogres
Battlefleet Gothic - Chaos Necromunda - Redemptionists

Iron within, Iron without!
(03-05-2014, 07:33 AM)GreyKnight Wrote: Hi guys

Took a quick look at some of the WFB games going on at the last meet and decided I might be up for having a go at it again some time this year.

Although I've mostly been in to 40K in the past I've kind of lost interest recently what with all the large vehicles and ever-increasingly-powerful units being released, it just doesn't do it for me, I preferred the skirmish feel of the older editions (still like the lore and books though).

Anyway, historically I never really got in to Fantasy, even when I worked at GW I was among a minority of staff who didn't actually know the rules to one of the core games very well LOL Rolleyes Way back in my teens I did collect Undead, but in Man O' War and Blood Bowl I had Dark Elves and I think that really these guys are more my thing.

So, what sort of points value makes a useable army for a club night? Funds are limited for spending on toy soldiers so I don't want millions of troops and I'm unlikely to collect a giant army, but prices of WFB minis seem more reasonable compared to 40K minis. I do have some plastic Dark Elf spearmen and crossbowmen from the previous edition of the game, but these may be out of date? I have some older style Dark Riders too and a metal sorceress model still in the blister. Any use?

thanks

Graham

1500pts is probably a good level to start as it gives plenty of time to get the game finished in an evening if you need to look up rules etc. Dark Elf spearmen (Dreadspears), crossbowmen (Darkshards), Dark Riders and the Sorceress are all in the current book and useable.

If you fancy a 1500pt game I can give you a tutorial. You can use my Dark Elves to see if you like them and I will battle you with my Dwarfs.

Dan
40k - Orks
(03-05-2014, 11:10 AM)nothin_but_the_rain Wrote:

thanks

Graham

1500pts is probably a good level to start as it gives plenty of time to get the game finished in an evening if you need to look up rules etc. Dark Elf spearmen (Dreadspears), crossbowmen (Darkshards), Dark Riders and the Sorceress are all in the current book and useable.

If you fancy a 1500pt game I can give you a tutorial. You can use my Dark Elves to see if you like them and I will battle you with my Dwarfs.

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for the offer, very kind! I'm certainly interested. Basically you'd need to come up with both armies and then talk me through everything, but I'm a quick study and shouldn't take too long to pick it up.

I don't own or know any of the rules etc of course so I'd be turning up as a "blank slate" so to speak...

If we could perhaps do this a few weeks down the line that would be good? I'm not really free for the next few Tuesdays.
40K - Chaos Space Marines BloodBowl - Dark Elves & Ogres
Battlefleet Gothic - Chaos Necromunda - Redemptionists

Iron within, Iron without!
the core rules are really easy to understand they are alot of special rules and such as well as situational rules but they wont effect ur frist couple of games too much and add to joys of learning the game

all the models u stated can be used and army point from 1500pts to 2400pts are played at the club with the tournament setting usally set at 2400pts
first port would be have a couple of games next buy the army book

pls bear in mind that dark elves have change a fair bit (eg witch elves are used quite a bit now)
(04-05-2014, 11:40 AM)GreyKnight Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 11:10 AM)nothin_but_the_rain Wrote:

thanks

Graham

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for the offer, very kind! I'm certainly interested. Basically you'd need to come up with both armies and then talk me through everything, but I'm a quick study and shouldn't take too long to pick it up.

I don't own or know any of the rules etc of course so I'd be turning up as a "blank slate" so to speak...

If we could perhaps do this a few weeks down the line that would be good? I'm not really free for the next few Tuesdays.

Yep no problem. I will put a list together. Let me know when you are free for a game.
40k - Orks