Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAGA UK Grand Melee 2014 - 7th & 8th June
Now I have my results book with me, Mark won game three 23-13.

Anyway onto round four, and the spoon looks in my grasp.

I was drawn against an Australian (or Kiwi, *edit* Dave is a Kiwi.) named Dave. Didn't catch his surname, and the SAGA site seems to have crashed. Anyway Dave was using Pagan Rus, and they were quite frankly terrifying. Game was a pretty standard affair, but you could recycle one unit per turn, with casualty models. Unique units (Norman crossbows, and Warlords etc.) couldn't come back on. Only kills caused in Melee counted, and seeing as I want to be killing at range, I knew most of my kills wouldn't be helping. What I did want to do was whittle units down, before I could engage, but the Pagan Rus, have an ability that means I get hit hard with fatigue when I shoot. As it was the tactic kind of worked, and whilst massively up on kills, in the end we both managed 11 points, for a draw. Highlight of the game was a we obey, with my Warlord and 6 Hearth Guard. The HG advance and throw their Javlins at 8 Warriors. However for every 6 they score, my HG get a fatigue. Result being 1, 3, 4, 6, 6, and 6. So I get 4 hits and 3 fatigue. Dave takes his defence dice and scores a save on all four. So my Warlord tells his men to watch it done properly. Up he advances and takes his two shots. Snake Eyes. Net result, my HG are in charge range of his Warriors, and have three fatigue, for nothing in return. Worst part, his turn I get to remove one model from each unit for each fatigue they have (fatigue doesn't even get stripped when he does this ability, but it does kill his own men.)

Games five and six are based on Swiss system now, and with 1 draw I'm at the tail end of the tables. I get drawn against Pleasent chap named Andy P(almer??) and Normans. This is capture the terrain again, and with his massive amount of missile troups it's going to be hard work for my mounted guys. Well the number of times he got to activate his missile troups without fatigue was 3 in six turns. As it was I lost 36-24. However as I pointed out to Andy at the end, he could only have one unit of Crossbows, (he had decided to play the 8 men as two fours,) but seeing as we were at the bottom end of the tables, I didn't want to make a big fuss. He had been playing them as an 8 all weekend, but decided to split them for capture points. So without the extra 8 points,it still would have seen him win.

Final game which is standard slaughter points. Imaging my delight as I get Normans. No sorry Welsh. No sorry Pagan Rus. No an actual army that doesn't gimp my bonuses, exploit my lack of armour or a mirror match. I got Anglo-Danes and Ben Smith. Seeing as I didn't have ranged weapons to destroy me (excluding his levy,) I mounted up 8 HG, 8 Warriors and my Warlord. Ben was also using the Angry Monks, which I avoided until the last turn. Angry Monks allow Ben to roll one SAGA die per Monk I kill in my turn. Ben over exposed his Warlord, letting him get several fatigue, and a Warlord off, saw him cut down. This left Ben without many SAGA dice, and things went fairly well. However I had to throw 11 Hearth Guard at Ben to get the damage through, and this meant that his less elite troops had to die in larger numbers too offset those points. Highlight for myself was Ben failing to get his 4 Warriors into 12 Levy who used Hit and Run, and killed two as they advanced. Next round I charged in my levy, and used strength in numbers to mean my 12 Levy had 14 attack dice to Bens 2. That was one dead unit, and I lost zero Levy. Anyway final score saw me notch up a 22-17 victory, which shows how costly loosing nearly all my Hearth Guard was, ask finished the game with 4 SAGA dice generation to Bens 1, but I still didn't win by a massive amount.

So my final weekend results were 1-1-4 with a score of 104SP for and 127(119)SP against. So despite not getting the results I wanted scores were not to dissimilar (Conrad lost his second game 27-0 for example.) So I kept things quite tight particuarly when I consider 8 of the SP shouldn't have counted.

Anyway final result, are to be posted, but the events overall winner was Chris Churchill from the Wyvern Wargamers. Second was Mark Birch (my third game,) who was at the Templars event Steve and Myself attended. I missed third place, but he was playing Chris in game six, both of them going in with 5 wins from 5. Karl Farrell from the Templars lost to Mark on table two in game six, so seeing as table three was a draw, could have seen him finish in the top 8 too.

All in all it was a great weekend, only ruined by my dice. However I had six very enjoyable games, and if dates work out for 2015, I'll certainly be in attendance.

Oh and Stu, Chris says anytime you want to be shown how to use Joms, you can always head over to Wyvern.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Sounds like a good event, thanks for the write up.

(08-06-2014, 09:21 PM)Gareth Wrote: Oh and Stu, Chris says anytime you want to be shown how to use Joms, you can always head over to Wyvern.

Ha - he clearly saw the Joms potential during our encounter at the Wyvern event Big Grin

Must arrange another visit, would be nice to see them played by someone competent for a change Smile
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
well done gaz, sorry I missed it, will have to pencil it in next year
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers