Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space marine guidance
As some may know, i am knocking together a space marine army for the first time in years(literally!)
I was just wondering if someone could give me a little guidance on the basic army selection i should be going for?
obviously i will tailor it to my tastes after a few games give me a idea of my tactics and such, but any help would be much appreciated!
Through going through my loft and online purchasing i have currently-
1 x captain in terminator with storm bolter and power sword
1 x librarian
1 x apothecary
aprox 20 x marines with bolters
2 x marines with heavy bolters
3x marines with plasma cannons
3 x marines with lascannon
3 x marines with missile launchers
1 x marine with multi melta
1 x dreadnought with assault cannon and close combat weapon
1 x dreadnought with lascannon and missile launcher
5x assault marines
1 x razorback (twin linked lascannon or heavy bolter)
8 x terminators (2 with heavy flamers, 1 with assault cannon)
plus other bits which i am finding daily through searching through loft when have spare moment
Also have just had black reach set turn up so whatever stuff is in there as well.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I often play against Space Marines, and I can strongly advise a squad of Terminators, as they can teleport into the action, and then rip apart near enough anything. Also, I noticed that you have a fair amount of heavy weapons, so you could probably knock together a Devastator squad (basically just a big squad of big guys with big guns!). Taking into consideration that the general Force Organization Chart goes like this:
  • Up to 2 HQ (1 is compulsory)
  • Up to 6 Troops (2 are compulsory)
  • Up to 3 Elites
  • Up to 3 Fast Attack
  • Up to 3 Heavy Support
Then you could possibly have a couple of Tactical Squads to take up your Troops choices, then your Captain to be a HQ. After that, you can pretty much just experiment, but if I was you, then I'd definately have at least have one Terminator squad, and perhaps a couple of Devastators, that should take your points to around 1000, and then you could possibly have a couple of Dreadnaughts to possibly boost your points to 1500, or so.

Anyway, hope this helped.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
That is pretty much along the lines that i was thinking, with two dev squads, one anti infantry and one anti tank.
Or would it be better to mix them up?
Blood bowl Skaven
Yeah, it's definately a good idea to go anti-everything, but I reckon it's always a good idea to see which army you're playing, as with Tyranids, you don't need any anti-armour stuff, as they're all just Wounds, with no armour at all. Devastators are a must-have for any situation, though.
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets.

Warhammer Fantasy (Orcs and Goblins)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Warmachine (Protectorate of Menoth)
Bushido (Prefecture of Ryu)
Infinity (Yu-Jing)
Warpath (ForgeFathers)
Cutlass! (Undead)
cheers for help much appreciated!
Smile
Blood bowl Skaven
I'm taking notes too - I have a rather rag-tag force of Space Marines at the moment that I need to turn into something I can field.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
last time i collected was between1994 ish and stopped around 2000, so go through my loft is like a museum of old gw models. Just a case of seeing what can salvage and re use!
I have just put a batch in dettol, forgot how bad my painting technique was when younger!
Blood bowl Skaven
just saying if i was you i would have 2 tactical squads of 10 one with a missile launcher. Also a unit of terminators it a good idea and to bufff them up put a chaplain in the unit which means they get to reroll to hit when they charge and it uses 1 HQ choice.Also have a cpace marine captain with a command squad which will give him feel no pain and will give him a hand in combat.Allways have a land raider as it can transport your troops and has good armour of 14 on all sides and has good fire power.

tom
my games:
Warhammer 40k orcs, spacemarines,catachan jungle fighters,
Warhammer fantasy orcs
Lord of the Rings sbg everything you could think of!!!
Warmachinecygnar
Haleceasar germans
Cutlass orc pirates
Yugioh
Magic red and green
would love to get a land raider, waiting for one to come up cheap on ebay unbuilt as think would really enjoy constructing it.
Blood bowl Skaven
(15-06-2011, 04:54 PM)Dark Wolf Wrote: just saying if i was you i would have 2 tactical squads of 10 one with a missile launcher. Also a unit of terminators it a good idea and to bufff them up put a chaplain in the unit which means they get to reroll to hit when they charge and it uses 1 HQ choice.Also have a cpace marine captain with a command squad which will give him feel no pain and will give him a hand in combat.Allways have a land raider as it can transport your troops and has good armour of 14 on all sides and has good fire power.

tom

dont forget what happened to your land raidder in our last game tom got a big boom boom from my tyrannofex ^_^