Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloodbowl
So I'm thinking of starting BB, I've never really played anything else other than 40k, so its about time I flexed my hobby wings and try something new.

I've recently got into NFL so BB looks like a fantastic game for me to start a second miniature hobby.

At the moment I'm looking to play a few practice games, get my own team, then playing in the 2014 league...

I have no idea where to start lol, I have downloaded a rules pack, but what rules are we using as a club?

Team, I'm thinking Humans, looking at a the rulespack I have, they look pretty solid with a good mix of abilities, like dodge, catch, sure hands etc etc and average movement, strength and armour, so look like jack of all traits master of none, could bode well for a league team as they improve... or not as the case maybe lol.

Models, does anyone have any advice on where to pick up a cheap human team up from? I'm thinking Dreadball could be cheap way to get a team on the pitch?

I'd be looking for a practice game on the 21st of Jan, but would need to borrow models, pitch and dice (if anything other than a d6 is needed??)

(12-01-2014, 06:25 AM)Embolden Wrote: So I'm thinking of starting BB, I've never really played anything else other than 40k, so its about time I flexed my hobby wings and try something new.

This could be dangerous Rob, as you will quickly realise your error in choosing 40k to start with Tongue

Anyway what you'll want to pick up apart from a team is 3 Block dice. They are essential to the game, as they are symbol dice. Other than that 2 D6 and a D8 will do.

For miniatures I would recommend 4 places.
Firstly eBay.
Secondly a trip to Worcester Wargames. They have a huge amount of pre-owned metals from GW, and quite a few BB miniatures amongst them.
Third is Impact miniatures. US based, so delivery time will not be ideal, but the number 1 site, most folk will recommend when it comes to BB. Plenty of alternate teams, as well as pitches, dice, and other bits and bobs.
Finally is Gaspez Arts. A little more pricey, and I wouldn't say they are better sculpts (in fact most of the sculpts you'll find that are not from an established games producer are awful, for all games) but they do have quite a decent range, to select from, and are European based, so delivery is a little faster.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Gaz has covered a lot of it, but as you mentioned, there is no reason why you couldn't use a Dreadball team as a proxy bloodbowl team.

Also you can get a slightly easier to navigate rulebook (will dropbox it) off that site i can't remember.lol
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(12-01-2014, 07:04 AM)Gareth Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 06:25 AM)Embolden Wrote: So I'm thinking of starting BB, I've never really played anything else other than 40k, so its about time I flexed my hobby wings and try something new.

This could be dangerous Rob, as you will quickly realise your error in choosing 40k to start with Tongue

Anyway what you'll want to pick up apart from a team is 3 Block dice. They are essential to the game, as they are symbol dice. Other than that 2 D6 and a D8 will do.

For miniatures I would recommend 4 places.
Firstly eBay.
Secondly a trip to Worcester Wargames. They have a huge amount of pre-owned metals from GW, and quite a few BB miniatures amongst them.
Third is Impact miniatures. US based, so delivery time will not be ideal, but the number 1 site, most folk will recommend when it comes to BB. Plenty of alternate teams, as well as pitches, dice, and other bits and bobs.
Finally is Gaspez Arts. A little more pricey, and I wouldn't say they are better sculpts (in fact most of the sculpts you'll find that are not from an established games producer are awful, for all games) but they do have quite a decent range, to select from, and are European based, so delivery is a little faster.

Cheers Gaz!

Hmm I'm thinking Dreadball might be the way to start, it;s like £12 for basically what I need, I can green stuff a couple of NFL balls to represent throwers, maybe paint the gloves on catchers and different bits to represent Blitzers and Linemen.

(12-01-2014, 09:36 AM)manrogue Wrote: Gaz has covered a lot of it, but as you mentioned, there is no reason why you couldn't use a Dreadball team as a proxy bloodbowl team.

Also you can get a slightly easier to navigate rulebook (will dropbox it) off that site i can't remember.lol

Cheers if you could do that, that would be awesome! Big Grin

I'm thinking this team to start with:

Blitzer - 90
Blitzer - 90
Blitzer - 90
Blitzer - 90
Thrower - 70
Catcher - 70
Linemen - 50
Linemen - 50
Linemen - 50
Linemen - 50
Linemen - 50
Linemen - 50
3 Re-Rolls - 150
= 950

Leaves me with 50pts, could get an Apoth or another Linemen to bulk out the team or alternatively, could drop a linemen for another catcher/thrower as a more skilled player.

A good solid start?

Bearing in mind it is different prices for different teams. What team was you planning on?

From that it looks like Humans?

Rulebook is uploading to my dropbox now. Smile
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
(12-01-2014, 10:00 AM)manrogue Wrote: Bearing in mind it is different prices for different teams. What team was you planning on?

From that it looks like Humans?

Rulebook is uploading to my dropbox now. Smile

Ah yeah that would help, Humans for sure! they look like a jack of all traits team.

I got my block dice from ebay, just a few quid, Most people have pitches or you can buy or make your own. Mine is a piece of hardboard marked out on one side (waiting to be painted/flocked) and it's not pretty at the mo but it does the job. You are also meant to have a d8 and really you need a passing template but there is an app that will substitute - can just get a printout of it, shows how long a pass will be. Very low cost game to start really but great fun.

I got my minis off black scorpion and just acquired a wood elf team from greebo miniatures (on sale when i got them).

Your roster looks fine, i would go for the apothecary instead of the extra lineman to start, you want to prevent your players dying/getting badly injured. The humans will be trying to run the balll against teams like elves and skaven, and playing the passing game against teams like chaos or dwarves, so you may want to think about dropping a blitzer for a second catcher, but that's personal preference.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
So the team has it's beginings!

2 Throwers and 2 Catchers bought!

I'm thinking Chaos Warriors with shields as Blitzers :p Would people mind?

Rob if you have a spare 50k and are at some point considering, getting a 4th reroll, do it now. It will cost you 100000gp once the team starts playing and its easier to save 50k for an Apoc, than 100k for a reroll.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Im looking at the following for this season.

70 Lineman
70 Lineman
70 Lineman
70 Lineman
70 Lineman
70 Lineman
80 Runner
80 Runner
100 Blitzer
100 Blitzer
110 Witch Elf
50 Reroll
50 Reroll

Total 999000GP.

Struggling with numbers, mainly because I never ordered enough Linemen. Then again I would probably only have 7 in the roster anyway, so its not terrible.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen