Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwarf assistance.
So, with my drive next year to start doing some WFB and my love of all things dwarfy, i thought i'd try and glean some forum wisdom from the more experienced players among you.

What i was thinking (and i know this may all change when the new book is out), and tell me if im wrong on any of these, is:

Lord on shield (actually this is a bar top as my lord is the landlord of this drunken throng. question is this the best way to run a lord? and what runes should i be considering? he'll be in a big unit of....

28 Warriors with Shields and hand weapons again is this the best way to run these? and is 28 enough, i was thinking 5 ranks of 6 dwarfs....this is my main question actually, what is the best way to run blocks of warriors (ranks and file wise)? these are the Black skull pass models mainly so i cant change them to great weapons easily. and of course banner/musician and champ.

i have cannons too, 2 of them, i assume its worth putting an engineer with these? is it worth looking at great engineers too?

thunderers, i have 20ish of these, 2 units of 10 or one big unit of 20? and what is really the difference. my gut feel is 2 of 10.

I have plenty of the slayer models too but from what i understand these are generally considered crap, but if you had to run them (mainly as i like the fluff for them) what would you do?

the other units in the book im going to worry about when the new book comes out i think.

any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be good so go nuts!
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
right im an old drawf player (editions 5-6) but i now play elves so have knowledge of current edition

if ur gonna take a lord yes a shield bearers are the way to go add a rune of stone and he has a 2+ save even with wielding a great weapon a word of caution here yes u can powerful rune combinations but its pricey and would it really achieve more than a cheap lord with a great save and hitting strength 6 (i would consider a ward save rune)

rank and file no really right way of fielding these people like hordes and wired 6-7 ranks my thoughts is this a dawf does not hit hard but has great armour so a unit of 30 (28 plus dwarf with shield) in ranks of 5 gives u plenty of ranks to get the stubborn rule so u hold stall a unit up for a long time.

engineers other than for bolt thowers hav never been worth it for me 1 cannon with run of reload and the other with rune of reload and rune of burning works fine. (or the 35pt rune which eludes me)

2 units of 10 thunders is fine 20 is easier to engage with fast units the drawback for units of 10 is potnetial lack of fireing lanes as too many units but for drawfs this shouldnt be a problem

slayers are such a shame they were really good!! i had 15 troll and 10 giant slayers in a big unit who deployed in a line formation to anchor my flank alas those days are gone reason simple whfb now has more attacks (it use to be just the frist rank that could attack) so slayers just get mashed up before doing anything and for 11pts
cheers for that it does makes sense.

I'll have to read more on the runes that i can use on the cannons etc as i dont really understand all of them so far.

im themeing my whole force around drunken dwarfs so will even be fielding a Beer Pony as a unit filler, the lord is the Bugman's model slumped on the ground and will be carried into battle on his bar counter top. some of the slayers are carrying kegs into battle too.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(09-12-2013, 05:37 AM)Simian Wrote: So, with my drive next year to start doing some WFB and my love of all things dwarfy, i thought i'd try and glean some forum wisdom from the more experienced players among you.

What i was thinking (and i know this may all change when the new book is out), and tell me if im wrong on any of these, is:

Lord on shield (actually this is a bar top as my lord is the landlord of this drunken throng. question is this the best way to run a lord? and what runes should i be considering? he'll be in a big unit of....

28 Warriors with Shields and hand weapons again is this the best way to run these? and is 28 enough, i was thinking 5 ranks of 6 dwarfs....this is my main question actually, what is the best way to run blocks of warriors (ranks and file wise)? these are the Black skull pass models mainly so i cant change them to great weapons easily. and of course banner/musician and champ.

i have cannons too, 2 of them, i assume its worth putting an engineer with these? is it worth looking at great engineers too?

thunderers, i have 20ish of these, 2 units of 10 or one big unit of 20? and what is really the difference. my gut feel is 2 of 10.

I have plenty of the slayer models too but from what i understand these are generally considered crap, but if you had to run them (mainly as i like the fluff for them) what would you do?

the other units in the book im going to worry about when the new book comes out i think.

any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be good so go nuts!

I tend to run my lord with Master rune of swiftness / Rune of Cleaving / Rune of Stone / Master Rune of Spite and a shield. Sounds good on shieldbearers for a toughness 5 1+ armour / 4+ Ward save, always striking first at strength 5.

The size of the warrior unit is good too though I would run them as long beards for the extra Strength/WS if they have hand weapons and shields instead of great weapons.

I tend to run my Thunderers in a unit of 20 with shields so they can fight in melee as well. I also like to run Quarellers with Great weapons as they are great for shooting and melee.

Cannons are brilliant - I always take rune of forging as well and an engineer and rune of reloading if possible.

It is worth having a Runesmith or Runelord handy for games against wizard lords as the anti-magic is a lifesaver with master rune of balance and runes of spell breaking (especially against Skaven Grey Seers)

I have never used slayers, but the unbreakable rule and weapon options sound good against higher toughness enemy.

At 1750pts these are my Lists. The second is if I am facing nasty magic-

1. Dwarf Lord
Master Rune of Swiftness, Spite / Rune of Cleaving, Stone / Shield

Dwarf Thane
Battle Standard / Master Rune of Gromril / Rune of Cleaving, Speed x2

28 Dwarf Warriors
Full Command / Great Weapons

20 Dwarf Quarrellers

20 Dwarf Thunderers
Full Command / Shields

Dwarf Cannon
Engineer (Brace of Pistols) / Rune of Forging, Reloading

Dwarf Grudge Thrower
Engineer (Brace of Pistols) / Rune of Penetrating x2, Reloading

Dwarf Bolt Thrower
Engineer (Brace of Pistols)

Dwarf Bolt Thrower

2. Dwarf Runelord
Master Rune of Balance / Rune of Spellbreaking x2, Stone / Shield

Dwarf Thane
Battle Standard / Master Rune of Gromril / Rune of Cleaving, Speed x2

29 Dwarf Warriors

20 Dwarf Quarrellers

19 Dwarf Thunderers
Full Command / Shields

Dwarf Cannon
Engineer (Brace of Pistols) / Rune of Forging, Reloading

Dwarf Grudge Thrower
Engineer (Brace of Pistols) / Rune of Penetrating x2, Reloading

Dwarf Bolt Thrower

Dwarf Bolt Thrower
40k - Orks
Thanks for the input, especially on the long beards. I'll add some grey to their beards as I paint them up so it should be fine to identify them.

Also cheers for the ideas on Runes. I'll have a read but I think they fit with what I'm planning.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
(09-12-2013, 02:04 PM)Simian Wrote: Thanks for the input, especially on the long beards. I'll add some grey to their beards as I paint them up so it should be fine to identify them.

Also cheers for the ideas on Runes. I'll have a read but I think they fit with what I'm planning.

I will be using my Dark Elves for the campaign so if you need some Dwarf reinforcements then you can borrow mine and have a play around with what works for you.

Dan
40k - Orks
Thanks for the offer Dan, i think i should have enough at least when its all built but i will see how it goes.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss