Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more printed Codices and Armybooks?
Don't believe this but thought i would share anyway-

Quote:Kroothawk on dakka wrote-
Usually, anonymous sources on Faeit212 are prone to be completely off with their predictions, but this one would fit with certain trends within GW, e.g. the 2 digital-only Codices lately, several English-only and/or limited releases, the rumoured axing of all metal and Finecast products, the rumoured axing of armybooks in Fantasy:

So here it is:

Quote: Anonymous source over at Faeit 212 wrote:There is some talk about GW still working on a new App. It is supposed to launch with the new website next year.

It will be a full-fledged App allowing online purchases and, maybe more interesting, allowing GW to better enforce DRM for their digital books (i.e. the purchase of an ebook from GW will be linked to the account and can only be used through this account). The bright side is that it is supposed to include an army builder (this might be build into a new format of digitial codex), the downside is that it might be the end of the regular printed codex book. Collector's editions are selling so well that GW is considering to only offer the limited edition printed book "while stocks last" and the ebook version.

Orcs, supposed to be released after the launch of the new website, will be a kind of trial run offering all three versions of the codex (Collector's edition, new style digital codex and "normal" codex) with a big campaign to persuade customers of the advantages of the digital product.

In this regard, actual army lists might disappear from the Collector's editions. Instead they will include a version of the digital codex. This is considered to get rid of the FAQ/Erratas, those will be entirely solved through database updates on the App.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
No chance in hell of that happening. GW are sticking with Apple only because it's an easier store for them to ensure they get the right revenue, per download. Fair enough. But many people don't have Apple products. They would be blocking out a larger proportion of their current player base. Fair enough then they might keep CE codices, but one print run, you then lock out nearly all of future game uptake. If it was predicted that they were doubling CE and dropping hard copy of the 40k variant books (ala Ulthwe / Farsighted etc,) I could see it happening. Going digital and CE only if true, would be near suicide for GW.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Fully agree, makes sense on the supplements to a degree as you sell far less of those but digital only on everything? No chance!

To be fair a lot of people are more receptive to digital books since they started to release on Android platforms as well, but even so, i think actual books are what people prefer and will for some time.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I have digital and hard copy codex sm and regret buying the digital version as takes too much time to search for the necessary unit selections the only benefit I have is the army builder that allows me to change my list several times in a lunch break until I'm happy.
Salamanders 6000pts
Grey knights 1000pts
Into the fires of battle unto the anvil of war!
I got several Digital Army Books. I have to be honest I think they are great, in certain situations. The ability to highlight, click between army list / bestiary etc at a click is great, having all form of rules included is a definite bonus. But I would never go without the physical copies.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen