Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Question thread
As I understand you can not cast a spell, feat etc in you do a run action in the same turn, but am I prohibited me from doing so If I charge? Can I do I cast a spell before I charge?
You can cast a spell and invoke a feat before you run but not after, as running ends your activation.

You can cast a spell and invoke a feat before you charge, but if the charge fails then the unit activation ends immediately. If the charge is successful then as I understand it you can cast spells and invoke feats both before and after your charge melee attack.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(05-06-2012, 10:14 PM)Stuart Wrote: You can cast a spell and invoke a feat before you run but not after, as running ends your activation.

You can cast a spell and invoke a feat before you charge, but if the charge fails then the unit activation ends immediately. If the charge is successful then as I understand it you can cast spells and invoke feats both before and after your charge melee attack.

Sorry Stu just to clarify;

You cannot cast nor use your Feat nor attack before declaring a Run. This is because of two things.

1. Run rules pg.46 A model that uses its normal movement to run cannot make an action, cast spells, or use feats that activation.
2. You could argue that means you can make an action, cast spells or use your feat then declare a Run but you no longer fulfill the requirements to take the Run action if you do any of the above prior.

As for the charge yes Stu is right, you may cast or use your feat prior to charging as there is no rule against this and you may, provided you ended your charge movement successfully (In melee with the target), cast spells or use your feat before making the attack. You may cast spells or feat at any time provided you are not interrupting a series of rolls i.e Attack & Damage.

Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Thanks for the clarification Si - didn't realise that running precludes spells or feats beforehand!
Which means that if a model runs, there is no timing space that would allow them to cast, feat or attack before, during or after the running order.

Hope that clears things up for you Big Grin
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
Im glad I asked the question, and even happier I wasn't the only one who wasn't sure. I suspect there will be many more. So far I'm enjoying the game more than I had expected, so thanks guys for getting me hooked on another game system lol
(06-06-2012, 10:23 PM)kahunadave Wrote: ...and even happier I wasn't the only one who wasn't sure.

Yeah, sorry about that Blush Reading around it does seem to be a question that gets asked a lot, but Simon's answer put it to rest.

I am pretty sure you do not need to spend a focus to do a special action/attack.

For example, a Cryx Harrower can move into contact, do it's Thresher *attack and then can buy additional "normal" attacks. A *attack does, however, take the place of all initial attacks. Lots of advice here:

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthre...t=harrower

That's correct Andy, however jacks DO need to spend focus to do power attacks which are a form of special attack which is likely where the confusion comes from
WARHAMMER/AGE OF SIGMAR:  khorne warriors of chaos
WARMACHINE: Khador, mercenaries 
BOLT ACTION 51st highlander division (in progress)
KILL TEAM: Adeptus mechanicus

Am I right that i can only do a special attack on a charge if the ability says I can do so as A charge only lets me to initial attacks. Is this same with power attacks?