Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games Workshop fires Italy and France event managers!
Spotted this and thought it was a share-
http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/11/T...W-7.5.html

Quote: After spending a few hours writing my report about our trip to Monte San Savino Show 2013 (so far the best show of 2013!), I got this breaking news:

I actually planned to continue my mini-series on the Future of Games Days and Games Workshop later this week, but ***breaking news*** rudely interrupted the flow of my day! No practicing Starcraft II on the ladder for me (yet)...

Games Workshop fires Italian and French event Mangers!

The problem reportedly was 'motivation'. It is open whether this means they actually had motivation and it did not fit the company spirit or the lack thereof...

Well, I am sure that's not the last we heard about that. Will be interesting to hear what Mauro (Italy) and Jerome (France) have to say about this. I am quite sure that their story will sound somewhat different.

It seems that Games Workshop has cancelled the role for both countries completely. Whether this means there won't be any more Games Days in Italy and France or the role will be centralized at Nottingham HQ is currently unclear.

Full on double speculation all the way across the sky - WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I have no further information - but I am allowed to speculate wildly... And I am just in the mood for some random and unfounded ranting as this is my last day being 42. Also, my fingers are still warm from my report about the awesome Monte San Savino show. So let's call this a cooling down exercise

If you don't like speculations based on nothing please do not read any further...
OK, let's see...

<random ill-informed rant>

First of all, I feel bad for Mauro and Jerome. I don't know either of them personally, but being let go gotta suck. So why would GW cancel such an important role as the role of event/community manager?

(Update: I just heard that for both, Mauro and Jerome the respective 'last days with the company' are on their birthdays! Minus several million out of 10 for sensitivity training, GW! È tutto sbagliato)

Let's look at the facts: GD France was cancelled for 2013 but I was told that there is a 99.9% chance that GD France will be back early 2014 (March/April).

GD Italy was - and I am really heartbroken to say that - a total disaster. But so was UK.

If HQ makes the rule that every Games Day must be profitable and turns it from a nerd event into a pure sales event then I don't think you can blame the individual country event organizers for out-of-touch-with-reality rules.

Games Day UK - where fans can do what they like most: "Buying Games Workshop products"
I don't really think that the country event organizers are to blame for the poor Games Day attendance across the globe (with the exception of US, I guess, that was quite nice).

"Motivation issues" could indicate that they did not agree with the official "Games Day Codex" from HQ - and if this is the case all I can say is "good for you!".

We all heard stories that if you work for GW and happen to know that snow is NOT black, it's a good idea if you don't share this with your peers or managers, or else...

Just for the record, I also feel bad for the hundreds of awesome guys and gals working for GW. They are nerds like us, no hating from my side!

Is the hobby dying?

Simple answer: NO. Shows like Painting Crusade (15/16.03.2014!), Spring Angel, Euromilitaire, Hussar or now Monte San Savino are breaking records in attendance and number of entered pieces year after year. The quality of entries is sky-high and each event caters to the needs of the nerds.

All it takes is applying common sense. And that's what GW's management seems to have lost.

All of the other shows make their visitors feel appreciated. Games Workshop makes their visitors feel stupid for having gone to a sales show where you don't get rebates and even have to pay an entrance fee...

Go home, management, you are DRUNK!

I will update you as soon as I hear more (which should be soon™)

Time to download the blog again, I guess. For I fear GW's Legal Inquisition.

</random ill-informed rant>
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven