Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battlefield Birmingham 5 40k tournament
OK this is the list i would like to try out for battlefield Birmingham

orks (1850)

warboss - mega armour, cybork body, bosspole, attack squig. pts = 130
big mek - heavy armour, kustom force field. pts = 90
6 mega nobs. pts = 240
battle wagon - 3 big shootas, grot riggers, deff rolla, red paint job. pts = 135 (transport)
20 'ard boys - nob with power claw and bosspole. pts = 240
battle wagon - 3 big shootas, grot riggers, deff rolla, red paint job. pts = 135
(this lot rides forward under the KFF and kills the other army in combat)

20 shoota boys. pts = 120
battle wagon - 3 big shootas, grot riggers, deff rolla, red paint job. pts = 135
(these guys also roll with the KFF but brake off as need to kill stuff/grab objectives)

5 burna boys - 3 meks. pts = 75
lifta wagon - 2 big shootas, grot riggers, armour plates. pts = 250
(this lot sits backs and kill tanks, how you may ask, the lifta droppa on the lifta wagon picks a vehicle (not a flyer Sad or super heavy) within 48" and throws it somewhere within 24" depending on the scatter roll and does D6 glancing hits to the vehicle as well as damage to whatever the vehicle hits (which is 2D6 wounds to non-vehicles with saves and D6 glancing hits to Vehicles), the burna boys sit inside of it and keep it going with their 3 meks)

15 lootas. pts = 225
sky shield. pts = 75
(lootas sit in sky shield for 4++ save and kill anything their deffgunz can hurt)

all in all I have 4 armour 14 4 hull point baskets for the enemy to kill while being pummelled to death by the lootas, lifta wagon, shootas and big shootas in the battlewagons.

so full proof plan (aka make it up as I go along like any ork apart from making sure to kill stuff) or am I going to get tabled every game? (I'd like to see them try!)
40K: Orks and Chaos Space Marines

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
remember kids, never trust an ork who shows his teeth
Hmm not sure how competitive you want to be...

If you want to compete and get a good finishing position, personally I would swap out the Ard Boyz which are elites and never score in any mission, so they have to be amazing (re Riptide) or don't bother... I would swap them out to Shoot Boys, competitive 40k is about winning the mission above all else, the more troops the better chance you have at winning the mission and obtaining that better finishing position, as Ard Boyz are double the cost of Shoota boyz, so with the spare pts I would grab some Grots to sit at the back of the table on an objective you placed out of sight, this gives you 4 scoring units which makes the list much more competitive. I would invest the rest of the pts into lootaz (maybe two squads of 10), how come the Burna boyz on a squad that sits back, more Lootaz? :p

Another reason to drop the Ard Boyz is once the Battle Wagons are down, unless they are threatening an objective your opponent wants/needs, then they can be ignored or bogged down and ignored, if they're a scoring unit, then in objective games, they can never really be ignored.

But if you're not their to be super competitive and don't mind the result of most of your games, then go for Ard Boyz as they're more fun! And thats the way you want to play, nothing wrong with that AT ALL, at the end of the day, this game is all about fun.

Sorry if this comes accross as harsh, I don't want it too, just trying to give you constructive advice Smile, it's why I asked you to take a look at the 40k global podcast if you want an idea of competitive natured people, tactics etc etc

Yeah I like the list in principal, lots of firepower and AV14 on the BW is good, plus lots of bodies.

I agree with Rob that you want some more scoring units - you need at least a couple that are able to get into your opponents table half, bearing in mind one of them is likely to die, and a couple that can sit back and defend with your gun line. In a five objective mission with this list you are at a big disadvantage because the enemy can focus on killing the shoota boyz and then you only have 1 scoring unit left in the nobz.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
you realise the 'ard boys are troops right, they are an upgrade of regular boys

If I turn the 'ard boys into shoota boys that gives me 80 points to play with which is 2 units of minimum sized grots (aka 10 grots and a slaver), which bumps me up to 5 troop choices (the mega nobs, 2 shoota boy mobs and 2 grot mobs) if I did do that I would drop the nob form the unit and get 2 big shoota in each of the shoota mobs, which leaves me with 20 points to spend.

so the list would be:
orks (1850)

warboss - mega armour, cybork body, bosspole, attack squig. pts = 130
big mek - heavy armour, kustom force field. pts = 90
6 mega nobs. pts = 240
battle wagon - 3 big shootas, grot riggers, deff rolla, red paint job, armour plates. pts = 145 (transport)

20 shoota boys - 2 big shootas. pts = 130
battle wagon - 3 big shootas, grot riggers, deff rolla, red paint job, armour plates. pts = 145

20 shoota boys - 2 big shootas. pts = 130

10 grots + slaver. pts = 40
10 grots + slaver. pts = 40

5 burna boys - 3 meks. pts = 75
lifta wagon - 2 big shootas, grot riggers, armour plates. pts = 250

15 lootas. pts = 225
sky shield. pts = 75

20 points left over.

would this list be better? I spent the 20 points on some armour plates for 2 of the battle wagons, is this worth it?

standard deffwing tactic: rush fast and hit like a runaway freight train with a rocket booster on the last carriage...
the 2nd list would definatly be more competitive! The sheer number of shots from the lootas would deal with most flyers. Positive changes for sure! Are deff rollas av14? If so youll have a great chance of flooding the middle of the table so everything can get into combat with the weaker tau and eldar troops. Also having SO many shots would dent my centurions easily. Even though theres very little ap2 id roll enough 1s eventually!

I also love the idea of using a skyshield fpr the lootas (i assume). Theyll b a tough unit to move!
(22-11-2013, 01:32 PM)Cookie101 Wrote: you realise the 'ard boys are troops right, they are an upgrade of regular boys

would this list be better? I spent the 20 points on some armour plates for 2 of the battle wagons, is this worth it?

No I didn't realise that - had forgotten and thought they were elites or something. Yes I think that list is better - in fact it looks pretty scary Confused Not sure what the armour plates do - convert stunned to shaken?. Having a Nob with bosspole might be a better bet in the two shoota boy units, that way you can try and stop them running when they drop below 10 boyz, think a nob + bp is 15pts though off the top of my head? so could only get that for 1 unit.

heldrakes might be a problem, but then aren't they always?! guess they would be top priority for the lootas to shoot and having the 4++ on them with the skyshield is nice.

Amazing you can get 90 bodies plus the 4 vehicles - a lot for the opponent to chew through!
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(22-11-2013, 03:23 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote:
(22-11-2013, 01:32 PM)Cookie101 Wrote: you realise the 'ard boys are troops right, they are an upgrade of regular boys

No I didn't realise that - had forgotten and thought they were elites or something. Yes I think that list is better - in fact it looks pretty scary Confused Not sure what the armour plates do - convert stunned to shaken?. Having a Nob with bosspole might be a better bet in the two shoota boy units, that way you can try and stop them running when they drop below 10 boyz, think a nob + bp is 15pts though off the top of my head? so could only get that for 1 unit.

heldrakes might be a problem, but then aren't they always?! guess they would be top priority for the lootas to shoot and having the 4++ on them with the skyshield is nice.

Amazing you can get 90 bodies plus the 4 vehicles - a lot for the opponent to chew through!

armour plates convert stunned to shaken, for me they are 10 points which is a rip off but nothing can be done about it.

I though about nobs with bosspoles for the shoota boys, but honestly decided against it, the only time the shoota boys are getting shot at is when their battle wagon is dead or they have jumped on an objective

(22-11-2013, 02:44 PM)Nick1988 Wrote: the 2nd list would definatly be more competitive! The sheer number of shots from the lootas would deal with most flyers. Positive changes for sure! Are deff rollas av14? If so youll have a great chance of flooding the middle of the table so everything can get into combat with the weaker tau and eldar troops. Also having SO many shots would dent my centurions easily. Even though theres very little ap2 id roll enough 1s eventually!

I also love the idea of using a skyshield for the lootas (i assume). Theyll b a tough unit to move!

the battlewagon with the deff rollas are indeed armour 14 on the front. and deff rollas are just nasty, doing 2D6 str 10 hits against any tank they ram!

not only that but my battle wagons can move 20" a turn thanks to the red paint job Smile

and you right about the lack of AP2, the only AP2 i have is from the mega nobs and warboss, but anything nasty i'll just shoot to death (not to mention dropping thier own tanks on them when I get the chance Smile)

2d6 strength 10 against infantry too?
Much better Sam, more scoring units, don't forget to put the Liftawagon on the Skyshield for a 4+ Inv save and a 3+ or 4+ cover save depending on how Harry rules the Skyshield (IE is it a Fortification or classed a building, the rules don't specify, but I would play safe and go for a 4+).

Oh while I talk about the Liftawagon is it 40k approved forge world as it would be disallowed if not. If it is, lol that thing is CRAZY, just been reading up on it, lol if you roll a 1... for a 4+ and wow, I'm just glad my list doesn't have any vehicles...

The Deff Rollas are nasty, but lack AP which is a shame.

Red Paint Jobs will allow you to move upto 13" in the Movement phase only, flat out is 6" so a max of 19" movement (not too shabby, when you want to roll over stuff)