Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welsh vs Normans
A lone farmers building just inside the Welsh border became the latest target of the Norman invasion. A small warband had been sent to probe the area, and test the defences, and the local villagers seeing the force, grabbed their javelins and prepared for defence. The Normans brought their two units of their elite troops, who like their leader came mounted, showing their lofty position amongst their piers. Eight of those in a two clear groups in total. Their fighting men carried the fearsome bolt throwers whilst they also brought some of their rabble carrying bows. The natives had mustered four of the Teulu, the villages fighting elite. Three families sent forth their sons, meaning two groups of six and one of four priodaur took to the field. The farmers and workers also helped their neighbours, and their use of bows would help out in the fight.

As soon as the Welsh entered the battle, the Norman peasants sent forth a massed Volley, behind the cover their had taken. This felled two of the Teulu, before they could get cover. The Sergeants took defence near to the building, and prepared to load their Crossbows.

Seeing the damage lowly peasants could do the Welsh warlord started by Answering the call. The children of the land moved into a nearby coppice, hoping that the safety provided, would protect them from death from arrow.

Sensing the fear in the Welsh the Norman warlord sent four of his knights flanking his enemies force and attempting to take out the poorly equipped warriors, and sweeping around for victory. Meanwhile another massed volley of bow fire, and the Norman cross bolts, started to whittle down the welsh villagers.

Seeing this threat to their flank, the warriors advanced throwing their javelins. With deadly strike they slew a Knight. The villagers returned bow shots on the sergeants, but defended behind fences it had little effect.

The flanking knights now charged in, and their horses stamped on their foes. Inflicting casualties on the Welsh, they took one in return, but fatigue from the charge would now be an issue for them. By this time, the cowering welsh had found cover from enemy shots, and it had no effect on felling the natives.

Seeing their strength in numbers, and javelin fire from some nearby friends in assistance, one of the welsh families avenged their fallen, by wiping out the knights. Meanwhile taunting from Bonnedig, drew forth the sergeants, from their position. Now in the open their started to succumb to missile fire. Welsh families started to flank the Norman force, now that they had eradicated the threat from the knights.

Realising the threat coming out of safety had, the sergeants again retreated in defence, and again the massed ranged threat from the invaders was slowly winning the bow battle, as more Welsh fell. To combat the danger to their flank, the Norman warlord and his personal bodyguard moved to kill the pesky javelin wielding warriors.

Taunting again brought the Normans sergeants forward, and this time a mixture of bow, javelin and a Warlord saw their demise. Having sold the flank threat to the Normans, the welsh warriors quickly repositioned theirselves, and taunting on the remaining four knights, brought them forward.

The remaining knights saw a chance to avenge the death of the brethren, and galloped forwards. Their slew one of the Welsh families, but it left them isolated and their master alone. He quickly attempted to get into the fight, but sensing the futility of entering combat, he seeker the support of the impoverished peasants.

Melee was struck and with the assistance of missile fire, the knights, and one of the families were eradicated, with one other having only one son left. Seeing the opportunity to kill their Norman warlord the remaining family moved forward and threw their javelins. With just three foes to fight, the Norman warlord charged into combat, and wiped another family lineage off the face of the planet, but in doing so he left himself exposed and fatigued. Once again the children of the land would use their use to moving through difficult grounds, to their advantage. The Welsh warlord shouted out glory or death, and side by side the sole remaining Teulu joined the charge. With strength in numbers the invading leader started to take blows, and just when he needed someone to defend him none of the peasants, jumped to his defence.

The invasion was over, the peasants fled, but a bloody toll had been taken on the locals, with just four of their numbers surviving. Surely not enough to defend the area from further attacks.

In what was most likely over 6 turns (note some of the above is probably out of order, but history is written by the victor,) the Welsh succeeded, in cutting of the snakes head. By the end of it, I was left with my all important Warlord, and one each of Heathguard, Warriors, and Levy. Steve managed to finish with just 11 Levy in the end.

Results -
Gareth W 16VP
Steve L 15VP
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Nice write up Gaz.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Grammar, spelling and language is atrocious. I'll get around to tidying it up, one day.

Anyway I think Steve will agree, his issue was throwing all his missile fire into wiping out my levies. I on the other hand systematically eradicated one dice providing unit at a time.

It was fun though, but Steve's winning streak continued. All though it's a streak of zero.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Was a good fight Gaz, great battle report. I did spend too much time throwing arrows at the welsh levies, mainly because I couldn't see anybody else !
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers