Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Miniature wargaming licenses you'd like to see
I was reading about the Game of Thrones gaming license a while back, but alas there was no mention of any plans for a tabletop wargaming product. This got me to thinking of other possible licenses that might make an interesting transition from screen/page to tabletop. A couple that sprung to mind based on recent TV viewing:

Game of Thrones - could be a bit like Lord of the Rings this one, with lots of interesting characters combined with large armies.

Avatar - not entirely sure about this one, but there's a nice mix of sci-fi and fantasy characters. The influence of Eywa could have some interesting applications too. Trying to combine the aerial combat with the ground battle could get messy though.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
In terms of licenses, I always thought that Star Wars would make for a fantastic miniatures game; they can even milk two versions of it, the ground and space combat sides. The board games have been interesting, but a fully fledged wargaming product would be amazing, being able to build and construct your forces to your own personal taste. The Expanded Universe has plenty of races, armies, vehicles, troops and technology to make it interesting too.
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(13-06-2011, 01:53 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: In terms of licenses, I always thought that Star Wars would make for a fantastic miniatures game; they can even milk two versions of it, the ground and space combat sides. The board games have been interesting, but a fully fledged wargaming product would be amazing, being able to build and construct your forces to your own personal taste. The Expanded Universe has plenty of races, armies, vehicles, troops and technology to make it interesting too.

That's a good call, and I did wonder whether any rules existed as I do have a handful ~28mm scale metal Star Wars miniatures - I think someone may have given them to me many moons ago.
I'm sure there are video game franchises out there that would work well on the tabletop. Perhaps Gears Of War? Though there isn't a huge amount of variety, in fact there's only 4 factions you could play as, possibly 5. The more I type the more it sounds possible heh.

Another that could work in a way would be something akin to Left 4 Dead, where instead of an opponent you have the enemy side 'play itself' so you use randomisation dice for direction etc possibly?
Warmachine (Retribution of Scyrah, Khador), Hordes (Trollbloods, Blindwater Congregation), Bolt Action (IJA Infantry Section, Soviet Russia Armoured Platoon), SAGA (Norse-Gaels (WIP)), Deadzone (Enforcers, Forge Fathers)
(13-06-2011, 03:15 PM)Stuart Wrote:
(13-06-2011, 01:53 PM)Etched Oracle Wrote: In terms of licenses, I always thought that Star Wars would make for a fantastic miniatures game; they can even milk two versions of it, the ground and space combat sides. The board games have been interesting, but a fully fledged wargaming product would be amazing, being able to build and construct your forces to your own personal taste. The Expanded Universe has plenty of races, armies, vehicles, troops and technology to make it interesting too.

That's a good call, and I did wonder whether any rules existed as I do have a handful ~28mm scale metal Star Wars miniatures - I think someone may have given them to me many moons ago.

Indeed there was a Star Wars wargame. It was created by West End Games, the same company who did the RPG.
They say dead men tell no tales, but a burning man sure does scream a lot.
I like the idea of Left 4 Dead (or some other zombie title) as a single player game.

I guess Halo is another franchise with potential.
And of course there's Star Trek - plenty of factions to choose from there!
And how about Tron? I reckon that could work as a miniature wargame. Wonder if you can get fluorescent model paint...
Erm have you see the Retribution of Scyrah models?
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
What, they have frisbees?