Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark elves released in October?
Glemigobles over at Warseer wrote:Ok, so as it was already said here - Dark elves are coming 05.X.13 and we won't get all the things listed by Lion. As mentioned before:
Book - 20 eur
Magic cards - 3 eur
Dark Elves Dreadspears - 18 eur
Dark Elves Witch Elves - 30 eur
Dark Elves Kharibdyss/Hydra - 35eur
Dark Elves Cauldron of Blood - 38 eur
Shadowblade - 10 eur

Prices given for Polish retailers
(...)
Yup my bad - real names are:
Witch elves/Sisters of Slaughter
Cauldron/Bloodwrack Shrine
Dreadspears/Darkshards/Bleakswords

The book price is certainly not the one for English and German hardcover editions with usually is 36-39€, other prices also seem considerably reduced. At least we now have official names (and the names on the boxes, you know, English and French only).
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Some terrible pics are out. Seriously blurry. Sisters of Slaughter look interesting, but it's hard to see if I like or not. Kind of a DE / Deamonette / Tyranid hybrid. Waiting to see more, but I'll have WD on Sat and models in my hands on Sunday to make a decision.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
lol, yep they are, link to said blurry images-
http://40kwarzone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09...e.html?m=1
Blood bowl Skaven
http://lkhero.blogspot.gr/2013/09/new-da...-book.html

By the way, £35 for box of 10 witch elves Smile GW has got to be kidding me.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
I know, some of the recent prices have been very WTF?

My favourite recent price hike was Dire Avengers, take out a sprue to knock it down to 5 models in a box, and leave at a similar price.

So in the space of a week it went from £23 for 10 to £41 (£20.50 a box of 5). Lol.
Blood bowl Skaven
It's unlike me to defend the machine,but I am somewhat going to. Compared to history, the prices are extotionate. But the same can be said of other things, fuel being a good example (remember the blockades in 2000 when it was approaching 80p) X-Box / PS games have gone up approx 40-50% in a few years. Were in an expensive hobby, during a period of quick price rises.

However GW kits have the following pluses for the price.
1) Quality - For a long long time, GW plastics have been the best in the business. Their metals / fine cast havnt had that crown for a while by their plastics are always a step ahead of the rest. They lead the way, and since they brought production in house (removing renadra, who Mantic for instance use,) and worked out how to digital sculpt effectively, the detail and fit on kits, is sublime. Wyrd have followed but still have issues, due to the manufacturing being done in China.
2) Value - Not as great as it was. But let's see what you get. Generally your paying £2-4 per minature. For that you get multiple options, such as heads, weapons, shields etc. Warmachine you can for £30 get 5 Shocktroopers, which admittedly and bigger miniatures, but no over 50% so, and you loose the extra bits, on top of getting the ***** Restic material to work with. Sculpt quality is also worse. Wyrd produce their new plastics, for approx £30 for 6 figures. Still more per figure than GW.
3) Options - GW kits, as mentioned come with options. Often the figures are poseable, and differing kits fit together, even between systems (Dark Eldar and Dark Elves the obvious example.) No figure need look the same. Most of the more popular systems, have figures that go together in one set way. Want multiples of the same unit, guess what they will look identical.

So model per model basis, GW are fantastic value for money. The only drawback being you will need lots and lots of kits, for an army. Oh well you pay for quality.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Don't get me wrong, some of the kits are excellent (Riptide is a good example) and the pathfinder box set is excellent value for money.

But some of the recent examples are just proper WTF (dire avengers again, exactly the same kit just one sprue missing. Would have been better to keep it the same and knock the price up to £25 or even £30).

Comparing Malifaux, Inifnity, Warmachine etc(skirmish game) is not a fair comparison either, because i can get a full 150 pt infinity faction for about £75. To get you standard 40k army at 1500 pts is about £300.

It is better to compare it to Warpath, kings of war etc
Blood bowl Skaven
No it's not though Vince. WFB and Kings of War is a fair comparison, yes. However you cannot say that H/WM are a different entry point. Say I want a 2400 point Warhammer army, with some choices, for tournament play. I'm looking at somewhere as you said £300-£400. Warmachine, I need two casters min, each who use differencing Warjacks. A colossal, and two or three units of metal models. Just throwing some rough models for a Cryx army together for prices, before discounts that's a cost of approximately £360*. Malifaux to play at a comparative level, you want every master in your chosen faction, and every model those masters can have access to, quite a selection of which are out of faction. Again for a Skirmish game, to be played correctly, you are looking at again a similar price to WFB.

Today I want to Gripping Beast to pick up everything I need to push my Welsh up to 7 ( SEVEN,) points. It set me back...........£153. Coupled with the £44 starter, that's 7 points for just under £200. Ok it's a tad excessive with the Welsh (nearly everything can ride a horse, and metal horses are expensive,) but just so I have options for a tournament, my weeks pay-check has been eroded. Only advantage, is I more or less have a second faction (Strathclyde Welsh,) so I have army options for the money.

Don't always look at model count, and think that's all that will count. Options and tournament requirements (such as WM/H lists,) all contribute to an armies cost.

Oh and I think the 90% of the Kings of War range, looks like its gaming on a budget. My Goblins despite being cheap to buy, are horrid models, that I don't want to paint.

* Skarre, Denegra, Kraken, Deathjack, Harrower, Plastic Helljack, 2xDeathrippers, Skarlock, Pistol Wrath, Bane Thralls, Bane Knights, Blood Witches, Bane Thrall UA came to £333.17 at Firestorm Games.
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen