Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark elves released in October?
Just spotted this on Dakka, ties in with it being rumouredly being Nidvember.....

Kroothawk on dakka-
Hi,
many sources point to a Dark Elf armbook release in October. Here the latest 40k Radio rumours:

NEW RUMORS for Warhammer Fantasy! My "source" has sent me pictures of the new Dark Elf release. The Dark Elves will be out in October with a slew of new models:

1) NEW Plastic Dark Elf Warrior Box(Makes Spearmen, swordsmen, & crossbowmen)
2) NEW PLastic Dark Riders/Warlocks
3) NEW Plastic Blackguard/Executioners
4) NEW Plastic Coldone Chariot/Scroungerunner(Pulled by horses)
5) NEW Plastic Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne(This model is AMAZING)
6) NEW Plastic Hydra/Kraken
7) NEW Plastic Witch Elf box

This will be a huge release and the Dark Elves will be the best looking Fantasy army, IMHO. These models are breathe taking and Dark Elf fans will have their minds blown!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Though thinking about it, does raise the question of whether the Inquistion boxed game is released same month?

Do people think they would do that?

Though with this years release schedule being how it has, you can't rule anything out.....
Blood bowl Skaven
Splurge of cash may be spent at the same time as games day. Blooming GW.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Yeah this increased release schedule has been killing my wallet, not looking forward to guard being released in febuary.......
Blood bowl Skaven
Updated rumours-
Added 8th September:
From one of the 40k Radio hosts:

Lion275 over at Warseer wrote:Even though it is 40k radio both myself and the other host both play a lot of WHFB. We can't and won't show pics unless our source gives us the ok. The pictures we have received are the high res pictures that will be in the WD. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer them to my utmost ability here or on our Facebook page.

As of right now we only have the pics, no details on the book. Last time we got the pictures and then the book a little later. As soon as we get more info we will pass it on. So as far as the weapons I can only go off the pictures. Here is what I see:

Warlocks appear to have one hand weapon
The new chariot crew is armed with spears and what looks to be a large crossbow or bolt thrower on the chariot.

The pictures have me thinking I want to collect another Dark Elves army. We have not received pics of any of the characters but that doesn't mean there won't be any.

The new Warriors look quite different to me. But then again I am a big geek that notices stuff like that. They have cloaks that come down their back and all the helmets don't cover the eyes any more.

The warlocks are bare chested, and the weapons look mundane...aka not glowing. They look like large jagged daggers. They are held in reverse grips which looks pretty slick. The warlock champions eyes are glowing which IMO hints at some magical abilities. md as far as the warriors go I think a big difference will be the size of them. Look at the size difference between Isle of Blood Lothern Sea Guard and the normal High Elves spearman.

Im really excited to hear about a plastic hydra finally.

It looks bigger and beefier. Like we said Dark Elves are setting the bar for the best range of models in WHFB.

Can you tell what size base the hydra is on?

I can't really tell from the pic. The two handlers are actually on the base so I don't have their base size to compare to. Sorry.

The cloaks hang down from underneath the shoulder armor and cover the back of the chain mail. It definitely is new for them but it looks really cool. The Druchii warriors also have shoulder armor. It makes them look simply awesome. The skull embossed on their shields looks great too. Yes the Hydra does have 2 handlers.

The Warriors, Black Guard, and Dark Riders all have cloaks. None of them appear to have face coverings. The Executioners appear to have skull faced helms. The theme to me appears to be a more sinister version of their High Elf bretheren. The plate armor has very spiked and jagged edges. The style will still fit well with the Shades and Reaper but next to these new models they will look very dated.

-The Kraken has 5 heads/fanged maws. The have spines and scales with smooth neck and belly flesh. Scales are painted a Dark Grey with the softer flesh painted blue. Looks awesome.
-The pictures we have of the Witch Elves has them with two hand weapons.
-Black Guard look very stalwart with large halberds and high helms with 3 spikes on each side with a flowing plume on top. Their armor is black trimmed in gold and they have dark purple cloaks. The unit champion is holding a sword by the hilt with the blade planted in the ground. Musician is a drummer.
-The executioners have what look like skull helms, and their armor is a brighter silver than the Black Guard. Their tunics are red in color and the Draiches are all held on the left hand side of their bodies (their left our right). They look very cool ranked up.

The Dark Riders are very cool looking. Sleek looking horses with only a bit of armor. All of the Riders are hunched over in the saddle to give the illusion of speeding fast cav. The helmets appear to be open faced and they are armed with spears in the picture I have, once again that doesn't mean they wont get crossbows (in the pictures we have they are in the back ground behind the Warlocks). The Kraken doesn't have tentacles, it has four legs with webbed appendages ending in claws and it also has a tail. The Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne look very cool. If you are a fan of the newer larger models GW has been putting out for WHFB you will really dig it. It is a bit toned down compared to the Empire Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark of Hysh and has blades and hooks on it to make it very sinister and Dark Elf. I also want to say thanks for such the warm welcome. I am glad that you guys are fired up for this release. As soon as more info becomes available to us I will share it on our Facebook and post here too. I will continue to answer questions about the models to the best of my ability and thank you for being very understanding as to why we cant release the pictures sent to us. You guys are awesome!

zhangyi over at Warseer wroteConfusedo i've got something new to say.
someone just told me that dark elf have army-wide ASF rule.

Silvertongue over at Warseer wrote:More info from the FB thread:

Execs use swords (phew!). Black Guards look "amazing", with bulkier shoulders and tall helmets with plumes, so I guess pretty much like they look now (in that respect at least).
The Cauldron has six wheels and two staircases leading up to the platform with the big statue of Khaine. It is not pulled by anything, so maybe (my assumption it will be used like the Screaming Bell? Three Witch Elves on it, lots of spikes and blades.

Edit: and more! The Witch Elves have loincloths and bras (obviously) and look "vicious". On the Throne, there is something that looks like half-Witch Elf, half Medusa, with snakes as hair.

Now I'm almost literally foaming.

Also, weren't there, a month or so ago, a batch of rumours that said something like "Cauldron kit makes both the CoB and a Medusa thing" that we all thought were too wishlisty? It could be useful to find them and re-evaluate them.
(...)

Found it:

First post so be kind. I have a friend who works for GW and he told me about 2 weeks ago about a dual kit hydra / some other monster, dual kit plastic witch elves / sisters of slaughter, new cauldron and medusa kit thing was his exact words. not sure if anyone else has mentioned these.

By Arthurius11, in the now-locked thread that preceded this one. Now, we haven't heard anything about Sisters of Slaughter by the guys of 40k radio, but that doesn't mean it's not real. Perhaps it's a simple weapon swap that wasn't featured in the pics they received or something like that.

Edit: The new Hydra is beefier than the current one. And the WEs on the Throne use spears.

I have to say, they are being quite nice answering all my questions! I don't want to pester them, though.

Edit: Warlocks are bare-chested, with long flowing hair, painted white. They seem to have black eyes (or no eyes), except for the champion, whose eyes are glowing. Dark Riders are cloaked (of course), and hunched over in the saddle, in order to present a low profile.

And that should be all from me today. I need to sleep. Someone else ask them things!

DeathlessDraich over at Warseer wrote:The following might have already been mentioned - apologies - haven't read every post.
I can't verify the validity or the source. I think only one or 2 out of the 6 below will turn out to be true. We shall see - in the last week of September.

1) 2 new monsters (or monstrous units?) not 1. One monster from Karond Kar (Is this the Kraken? Does it fly? - I don't know) and the other may be from Har Ganeth

2) Temple of Khaine artifacts remain - Don't know whether there are new poisons or not

3) Maybe a new unit from Har Ganeth or a modification for Executioners?

4) Improved Assassins - could be a Save or improved Hidden rules.

5) I think rumours of City Guard, Slaves etc are probably hopeful speculation. Dark Magic and Black Horror will probably remain as do all the present units but following latest trends there are bound to be new units.

I am hoping for interesting new additions/improvements to the rules.

Shabbadoo, a veteran rumour poster on Warseer, confirms the first 40k radio rumours with this post

shabbadoo wrote:I would recommend that it might just be a good idea for everyone to NOT give anybody much of a hassle over this "wish-listy" list, because there is no wishing there at all. OK, before saying anything this sweeping and all-encompassing, I better look at it again...

Nope. Nothing wish-listy there apparently. If you play Dark Elves, and you like that list (and, yes, that is not everything), you might as well pop the champagne already. Pics ought to start oozing out within a week if this turns out anything like Space Marines did, and I will add that pre-orders ought to go up on the 28th.

Lastly, before anybody puts their head up there butt and asks, "But how do YOU know?", just consider that one reason that I (and probably others) really don't say much of anything is precisely because so many of you jack-holes (you know who you are) have become fixated on asking that particular question, and incredulously seem to expect an informative answer of some sort. Say thanks to 40K Radio for sharing, and be done with it.

(...)
People should have already pulled their head out of their butts on that issue when GW redid the Empire Cores, the Skaven Core, and the Beastmen Core. GW is obviously redoing the the poorer looking plastics as they can. Just because they do it for some armies and not for others doesn't mean that they have no plans to replace the poorer sets at all. They just don't have limitless production capability is all. As it seems like most everyone is mellowing out now, here is a small tidbit:

I honestly can't wait to see the pseudo-Medusa of the Blood Throne. It can be really awesome or horrid. I'm hoping for awesome!

It is definitely awesome. It looks somewhat like the Medusa from Clash of the Titans (the newer version of the movie)- snake from the waste down, hair of snakes, not too monstrous of a face; the pose is upright (body up high, supported by the tail). I don't know if players will be able to field this model on a base as its own unit or not (i.e. has its own independent unit entry in the army list), as has been the case with some other combo-kit models like this (the High Elf Lothern Skycutter Lord with trident on foot for instance). As to the crew of the Cauldron of Blood, they are in the style of the plastic Dark Elf Sorceress but are more dynamic with regard to the poses. Armies made up of only the newer models are going to look great on the game table.

As to the rest, I'll leave it to 40k Radio (who did a fine job with the Space Marines info, regardless of what some intarwebz fools with a seeming sense of entitlement might think) and others to drop, as they will no doubt do a great job this time around too. Pics should show up pretty soon I think, as more an more people have now seen them (and pre-orders are only 3 weeks away, or so I have been led to believe).
Blood bowl Skaven
Couple of interesting bits from Seer, from the poster Lion275

Lion275 wrote:

SVKBaki wrote:Just some thoughts on that.

1. You have a hi-res pics from some source, fine. (therefore no early WD in the mail, I assume)
2. You can´t show them, for the safety of your sorce, completely understandable to me.
3. This forum is publicly accessible, somebody from GW is always reading it (we know it, few threads were under investigation and were put down)
4. The GW design studio is quite small, few people are working on DE release, so quite easily trackable the leak.

Conclusion: Aren´t you already hurting your source with accurately describing so much info weeks before release? Even Harry and Hastings told only some bits here and there, and never openly in any way.

Jut posting this in order for some of you to be not sad and delusioned, like you were after Empire release, which at first looked like release of the millenium. Anyways, is there any proof that the Lion is connected to 40K radio? The part with greek mythology style medusa is the hardest to believe for me.

Just some critical thinking, no offense of any kind intended.

Remember, remember,
The Ghost 21 ,
The Empire treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Empire treason
Should ever be forgot!

I am indeed connected to 40k Radio. My name is Rik and I am one of the co-hosts along with Kyle and Chad. Feel free to drop by our facebook and I will gladly answer it on there too. My source has said I have free will to talk about and describe the pictures I have seen. I DO NOT have permission to put them up. Someone has been nice enough to send us pictures of the last two releases early and sent of the Space Marine codex early. So why would I betray his trust just to "prove" I am legit? The proof will come when the WD pics start coming out.

Ok so when we asked our source why the Dark Elves release was so large we got this answer:

Because many of the Dark Elves were so old and the poor designs were showing their age. They weren't getting any fan attention so they needed a full reboot.

Nice to see GW taking notice of models that are or aren't working.

So to answer the chariot question: It looks very sleek. The wheel is on the back part of the chariot. The chariot is very low to the ground. Once again it sounds weird but looks cool. Very low profile and ready to smash people.

As to the models I am looking forward to the most that is a really tough question. From a purely selfish standpoint the Warriors. From the look of them with some minor adjustments they would make great High Elves spear men. Over all though I would have to say Black Guard. Standing strong in their armor with burly looking halberds I would say they look the coolest IMO.

The only character picture we seem to have at the moment is Hellebron. That doesn't mean there wont be more.

The Executioners armor is a mixture of armor plates and chain mail.

Lion275 wrote:

Ramius4 wrote:
Thanks again Lion I am assuming the regular, cold one chariot has 2 wheels correct?

Nope both chariots have the one wheel. Cold One chariot has lots of blades of the front. Looks really good.
Blood bowl Skaven
More rumours, they reckon pics by the weekend.......

Added 17th September:

Lion275 over at Warseer wrote:It is indeed the same source that has provided us the Space Marine pictures and codex.
(...)
According to our source DE were one of the worst selling ranges GW had. I assume they didn't touch HE Spearmen because for some reason they still sell...
(...)
In the pictures I have of the Cauldron of Blood it is just the model with nothing pushing it. It is weird that it does have wheels but nothing pulling. Who knows maybe we will see it getting pushed around like the Screaming Bell.

shabbadoo over at Warseer wrote:A bit more detail on the Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne:

The whole contraption is a large lower platform on six wheels with a smaller raised platform towards the rear, which is reached by two staircases that curve from the lower center outward to the left and right front of the upper platform. The upper platform is where the Hag stands/Medusa is coiled. Near the top of each staircase is a witch elf guard, and they stand with their feet on different levels of the stairs in a nice "guarding" action pose. Those that guard the Medusa have spears, which they are pointing down the stairs, as if threatening anything that might come up them. The Medusa's right arm is holding high a spear, point upwards, and her right breast is bare. Also, the Medusa's body is covered in scattered small cuts from which drips blood. The paint job is in the very clean GW style and looks very nice, but I do look forward to somebody doing a bit grittier, more realistic paint job on the Medusa in particular. Seriously, the Medusa is a pretty badarse model, and anybody who doesn't like it should be publicly ostracized. Behind the Medusa is what looks like a large mirror on a pedestal. The mirror frame is gold, and depicts cavorting Witch Elves. The mirror is painted to look like what appears to be a row of moons in a clear blue daytime sky (i.e. the mirror "looks through to another world" type of thing is what they were going for, I guess). Also, Lion mentioned snakes at the base of the Medusa's tail, but it may be that it is the Medusa's tail that actually splits into multiple serpents itself, as the snakes are painted a similar (though slightly lighter) shade of green to the Medusa's lower snake body. The angle of the pic doesn't show which is the case, so we'll most likely have to wait for the pre-order pics to determine that. For the Cauldron of Blood, at the back of the upper platform behind the Hag is the obligatory large statue of Khaine, sword held aloft.

Lion has described the other models well enough, but I think you can figure out which one of the bunch is my favorite. Pics ought to drop soon (probably this weekend), but it won't be me doing it. That's about all I am going to share. If I hadn't already started High Elves when the Isle of Blood starter set came out, I would be doing Dark Elves. It is going to be very difficult to resist staring them.
Blood bowl Skaven
And a rumour round up by the guy who got the WD early (same guy who accurately got Space marine rumours right through WD)

Dark Elves Rumor Roundup
Posted by Zion Posted on 19.9.13
The Dark Elves' hatred has not been quenched. Are you prepared for it?

I will admit that I haven't played Fantasy in a while so I can't help weed out rumors as effectively, so if any wishlisting or obvious fakes slip their way into this list, I apologize in advance. Some rumors did not make the list due to the information being already on here as I went through, but I tried to include as many details as I could.

Many thanks to the folks on Warseer, DakkaDakka and 40k Radio for the original information.

Everything in quotation marks is a verbatim quote of the original rumor, everything else is as close as possible, but polished up a bit for easier reading.

Predicted Release: October/November/October-November 2013

Codex Information
Author:
State:

General Information

Aesthetic seems to be focused on them being a more sinister version of the High Elves with spikes and jagged edges on the armor.
Temple of Khaine Artifacts are still in the book. No word on if there are new poisons or not.
New plastic banners do not appear to have any designs sculpted onto them.

New Rules

Gain the Always Strikes First special rule like their High Elf cousins.

Special Characters

Lords

Crone Hellebron is the only character 40k Radio has seen images of at this time. She is a little more armored than a normal Witch Elf and wears a little more clothing. She carries a sword and a small blade. "She definitely has the big hair like in her artwork in the current army book". She looks young, like a regular Witch Elf and wears a gold mask over her face that extends upwards in a "crown like fashion". Both of her arms are raised towards the sky.

Heroes

Cauldron of Blood is now a larger model with hooks and chains but is "a bit toned down" compared to the Empire Celestial Hurricanium/Lumniark of Hysh. It has six wheels and two staircases. It doesn't have any models pulling it so speculation is that it might be pushed like the Screaming Bell. It has three Witch Elves on it, with "spikes and blades". They're described to be dressed in what looks to be loincloths and bras, and appear "vicious". The statue of Khaine that stands behind the Hag has his sword held aloft.

Core

Warriors changed in design. Helmets no longer cover their eyes and now have cloaks. The cloaks hang down from beneath the shoulder armor and cover the back chain mail when looking at them from behind. They also have skulls embossed on their shields.
Dark Rider have "sleek-looking horses with only a bit of armor" and the cloaked riders are hunched in the saddle to give the feeling that their fast moving calvary while presenting a low profile. Helmets appear to be open-faced, and can be armed with spears. No word if they can get crossbows at this time.
Assassins got a buff. Not clear if it's improved Hidden rules or an improved Save at this time.

Special

Executioners have skull-faced helms. Their armor is bright silver with red tunics in the WD. They all hold the Draiches (swords) on the left side of their body (that is your right when looking at them from the front). Their armor appears to be a mixture of plate and chain mail. Champion is armed with an axe and is holding the decapitated head of a High Elf in the pictures.
Witch Elves have 2 hand weapons in the White Dwarf.
Blackguard look very "stalwart" with large halberds, and high helms that have 3 spikes on each side of them with a flowing plume on top. Their armor is black and trimmed gold and they wear dark purple cloaks. The unit Champion is holding a sword by the hilt with the blade planted in the ground. Their musician is a drummer. Their helmets do not cover their faces, and their armor has bulkier shoulders.
Cold One Chariot looks very sleek with the wheels towards the rear of the chariot and the body low to the ground. The Cold Ones pulling the chariot match the Cold One Knights.
Witch Elves are armed with 2 hand weapons in the pictures and are "very dynamic with their poses". Each model has long, flowing hair, red loincloths, thigh-high black boots and "for lack of a better term bras". They also appear to have open mouth "so lord only knows what they're saying before they come in and hack my poor High Elves to bits". There does appear to be a command group for the unit.

Rare

Hydra is now beefier looking. The Hydra's 2 Handlers are mounted on the same base as the Hydra in the WD pictures.

New Units

Scroungerunner armed with spears and what appears to be a large crossbow or a bolt thrower. The crew "look[s] similar to Corsairs". The passenger shooting the crossbow/bolt thrower has what appears to be a sea dragon cloak on. The reigns appear to be normal black leather and the horses look "awesome and angry". Both horses are black with red eyes. The chariot only has a single wheel that is centered on the back section. "And as usual nasty spikes and blades".
Warlocks are bare chested with mundane looking hand weapons (one each), which are held in a reverse grip and resemble jagged daggers. The warlock champion's eyes are glowing which suggests at magical ability perhaps? The models have long flowing hair that ias painted white, and the rank/file models have black eyes (or possibly no eyes). There does not appear to be a full command group for the unit, just the unit champion.
Kraken has has spines and scales with smoth flesh on the neck and underbelly. Was painted with the scales in Dark Grey and the softer flesh in blue. It does not have tentacles, but has four webbed appendages ending in claws and a tail. Has one main head with beady eyes above the mouth which has the lower jaw extending like an octopus tentacle with teeth. The four other necks end with fanged maws and claws that look to facilitate grabbing their next meal.
Blood Throne shares the kit/chassis with the Cauldron of Blood. On the Throne itself sits something that looks "like a half-witch Elf, half Medusa, with snakes as hair". The Witch Elves on the Throne use spears and wear metal masks that cover most of their face, save for the chin/mouth and the eyes. The Medusa model has the lower body of a snake, and has snakes on her base. The right side of her torso is bare, to include her breast while armor covers her left side. In her right hand she holds a spear and her left hand is clad in a clawed gauntlet. Her mouth is agape and she has snakes for hair. Her body is also covered in a number of small cuts that drip blood. "There is a significant amount of blood on the model". Behind the Medusa appears to be a mirror depicting cavorting Witch Elves. It's painted to look like what appears to be a row of moons in a clear blue daytime sky ("i.e. the mirror "looks through to another world" type of thing is what they were going for, I guess")

Model Releases

Plastic Dark Elf Warrior Box (Makes Spearmen, Swordsmen and Crossbowmen)
Plastic Dark Riders/Warlocks
Plastic Blackguard/Executioers
Plastic Cold One Chariot/Scroungerunner (which is pulled by horses)
Plastic Cauldron of Blood/Blood Throne
Plastic Hydra/Kraken
Plastic Witch Elf Box

My Thoughts
Honestly I haven't personally played Fantasy in a while but the models sound pretty good. I always like seeing old model sets get and update, and while their wallets might not enjoy it from the sound of things the Dark Elf players will get a kick out of this update too.

Either way I'm excited to see the actual pictures of these models because these descriptions have whetted my curiosity. Who knows, maybe these will be the models to inspire me to get back into Fantasy again.
Blood bowl Skaven
Two issues.

DE will retain hatred, it's very very unlikely they will gain ASF. It's like giving Eldar pain tokens because they are similar to Dark Eldar. However if as the poster says, you have no clue about WFB Hatred and ASF have a similar result.

Secondly, if handlers are mounted on a Hydra base, it now changes it from Monster and Handler to Monster. It only has a slight alteration in how im the model would perform, but it does change it. Interesting if that is correct.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
zhangyi over at Warseer wroteConfusedo it's clear now, that DE will be released during two months. October we will have warrior, witch elves, blood throne, Kharibdyss (dont know what is it), and a plastic shadowblade.
as we can see GW has put bg, chariot and dark riders to next month along with innocence(the 40K table game,i'm 95% certain that it will be in November). for good reason we can split our money to two months. that's really kind.
for the price:
shadowblade, £12
warrior,£20
witch,£35
throne,£45
kha…balabalabala,£40
(...)
i cant say where i get these news. but it's certain, and we only have these toys this month. do not be disappointed, cause it's clear we have a second wave.

melonmelon over at Warseer wrote:October release:

Dreadspears(Warriors?) £20
Shadowblade £12
Witch Elves £35
Cauldron of Blood £45
Kharibdyss £40

from indie retailer, BTW no pic.

edit: Army book and Magic Card set too, but no "battleforce".
Blood bowl Skaven