Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New FFG game, Warhammer: Diskwars
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_n...?eidn=4295

“The cost of victory is blood, the cost of defeat is everything.”
–The Empire at War

Across the Old World, armies of Orcs, Chaos Daemons, High Elves, and the Men of the Empire collide. Heroes spur their regiments into battle. Soldiers die. Lesser armies are annihilated. Victorious commanders become legends.

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of Warhammer: Diskwars, a game of heroes, regiments, and ferocious battles!

What Is Warhammer: Diskwars?

Based on the original Diskwars game design by Christian T. Petersen and Tom Jolly, Warhammer: Diskwars is a fast-paced, tactical battle game for two to four players that can be played in an hour or less. It has been updated to its new setting within the Warhammer world and features flexible rules for hero-centric army-building. Additionally, whereas the original Diskwars was a collectible game, Warhammer: Diskwars has moved away from the blind buy model, and the Core Set includes everything you need to play the game.

At the core of Warhammer: Diskwars are its disks. Each disk represents a hero or unit from the Old World and comes complete with its own combat statistics, traits, and special abilities.

The information collected on each disk makes it easy to remember how your units will interact with others as the battles rage on!

What makes these disks truly unique, though, is the way that players maneuver them around the battlefield. To move a disk, you simply flip it end over end. Thus, each disk’s movement doesn’t just involve a starting point and end point; it has a whole path, and as it moves, it interacts with terrain and other disks it overlaps.

In Warhammer: Diskwars, players move units by flipping their disks end over end.

Whenever a disk flips in such a way that it covers up another disk, the disk on top is considered to be “pinning” the disk below it. This prevents the pinned disk from activating, and at the end of the round, overlapping disks must fight each other. By maneuvering carefully to pin your opponent’s units, you can strike them down, seize control of the battlefield, and win the day!

Here, Karl Fanz is shown pinning two different Orc units.

Flat Disks, Deep Mechanics

The battles of Warhammer: Diskwars are fast and furious. Players play command cards to seize initiative and activate their units. Combat quickly changes the shape of the battlefield. Units are destroyed. Blood flows. Heroes and their regiments close ranks, and the fierce, tumultuous conflicts of the Old World quickly materialize on your tabletop.
By promoting numerous interactions between terrain elements, hidden objectives, rules for army building, and the abilities on the disks themselves, Warhammer: Diskwars creates an experience rooted in epic warfare, but one that can be played in an hour or less.

Striking the perfect balance between the game’s epic origins in the Old World’s conflicts, its fast-paced battles, and its tactically rich combat was a matter of particular concern to Michael Gernes, one of the game’s developers:

“I played the original Diskwars and greatly admired its fast-paced play style and innovative disk-flipping mechanic. That core experience remains central to Warhammer: Diskwars.

“I’ve been into the Warhammer World in one way or another since I was thirteen. I grew up reading White Dwarf lore articles and battle reports, I played the roleplaying game for years, and over the past year I’ve been building, painting, and playing a Skaven army for Warhammer Fantasy Battles. So, it’s fair to say that working on Warhammer: Diskwars is the kind of project that’s occupied my daydreams for more than half of my life.

“Warhammer: Diskwars is a unique game, and I was thrilled to help develop it so that it includes the tactical positioning, hero-centric army building, and strategic decisions that I enjoy and that I feel evoke the Warhammer Fantasy setting. I am also very pleased with the development of our battlefield setup rules, which add replayability and ground the battles of Warhammer: Diskwars firmly in the Old World. The game’s setup rules ensure that players will make choices every game that have real repercussions upon their strategies and tactics and that make each play experience unique.

Terrain in Warhammer: Diskwars can block line of sight, slow movement, offer cover, provide higher ground, and more!

“Helping capture the flavor and texture of the armies of the Old World in the Warhammer: Diskwars system was another one of the project’s most exciting challenges. As a fan, I love when units’ game abilities faithfully reflect their roles in their world’s background. I spent a lot of time referencing my Warhammer armies books and worked to shape disk and command card abilities to make sure they felt right with the lore, while also making sure they fit the Diskwars game experience.”

The Old World Will Bleed

Warhammer: Diskwars is an epic game of heroes, armies, and brutal warfare. With a host of terrain cards, objectives, command cards, and more than sixty disks for the game’s four races, the Core Set includes everything you need for you and your friends to build your first armies and dive into the fray.

Warhammer: Diskwars is scheduled to arrive in the first quarter of 2014. Until then, keep your eyes open for more news and previews. You can also visit the game’s description page to learn more about its unique disk mechanics, fast-paced combat, expanding battles, and rules for diverse army building!
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
What a waste of time
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
No interest in it myself, but gonna try and share these bits i see more often (i knew about that warhammer digital book ages ago and never thought to share......)
Blood bowl Skaven
I didn't mean your post, just the concept. It appears to be Warhammer minus miniatures, but replacing them with bits of card. I cannot see why FF or GW would think this had enough appeal to get/grant a license.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
simple "£"
For the Angelic Horde!
(14-08-2013, 02:51 PM)Gareth Wrote: I didn't mean your post, just the concept. It appears to be Warhammer minus miniatures, but replacing them with bits of card. I cannot see why FF or GW would think this had enough appeal to get/grant a license.
Lol, just to clarify i didn't take your comment as being dismissive of my reporting this but of the idea, which i fully agree seems pointless.....
Blood bowl Skaven
THey're just using a system from another game and giving a try to see if there's interest in doing it with a warhammer setting, I imagine for fans of the original version theres probably some that might try it .
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.