Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drill
I have several models that need pinning.

What drills do people use on their lead figures, I have a Dremell type multi-tool but it spins too fast to have any control.
Tyranids - They are coming! I feel then scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices.

40k Adepta Sororitas, Imperial Knights & Tyranids
Blood Bowl Norse - Valhalla Vengeance
Flames of War US 101st Airborne
EPIC AMTL & Black Legion
Warmaster Skaven
Bolt Action US 101st Screaming Eagles
DropZone Resistance
I use the modelcraft Pin Vice, It takes bits up to 3mm i think.
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
I use the GW pin vice.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I use the GW hobby drill. The drill bits that comes with it, about 5-6 so lots of spares, makes a hole the perfect width of a paper clip.

pinch some paper clips from work Smile

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalo...rod1095460
A dremmel is terrible for pinning, unless you can get one with a very low rpm setting. Otherwise your standard bits are going to snap.

I have some old GW ones, but GF9 produce one, and the new GW one is just as good. Pick up a hand drill, or pin-vice as their tend to be know, and order in a load of cheap 1mm drill bits off eBay. They will set you back about £3 inc postage for 50-100. They will be made from a cheap metal, and liable to snap, but if your using them on metal models, you only get about 3-5 drills per bit, before the end gets blunt from high quality bits, so you'll be throwing them away just a fast but paying more. Buy cheap and bulk, and use them once or twice.

If you get a series of differing collets, you can then pick up varying bit widths, with obvious advantages being getting a 4mm wide bit, and using it to magnetise parts with 4mm magnets, for example.

For the most part though I just use a hand-drill, 1mm bits and a paper-clip.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen