Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Bear Fur
Yes, you read the subject correctly Smile

Had a good chat to the chaps from Earlswood Wargamers at the UK Games Expo, who were playing a game on a mighty fine game board where the surface texture was made from a roll of teddy bear fur material.

They have a Terrain Corner section on their website with more details and lots of photos - well worth a look.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I've been banging on about teddy bear fur for ages. Its not the easiest of stuff to work with and the results can go very wrong:

[Image: DPP_0061.jpg]

If I get around to doing some, I think it will be in small corn field sized squares that can be placed onto a normal green table.

I thought I'd heard it mentioned before. The Earlswood chaps set about theirs with hair clippers to reduce the fluff-factor!
Yea, i think think the key is buying a decent set of clippers in order to trim it down.

When doing some research into cloths when setting up the club a few months ago, I came across this site.

At the bottom of the page he's got a link for purchasing them direct.

At the time I thought 40+ quid was a bit steep. But when u add in the hassle factor of buying the stuff, preparing it, painting it etc i think it's good value.

The board in the terrain corner link looks excellent.

It reminds me I used to use corugated cardboard as base to make ploughed fields surrounded by walls/hedges for WW2. Worked well.

I have purchased a dozen 2 x 2s of 6mm MDF for interchangeable base boards. I am still scratching my head on what to use as the basic covering. Was looking at experimenting with a mix of emulsion + pva + fine saw dust, coloured with acrylics, then sponge painted and drybrushed. Then using the same plan to base terrain features.

Watching 'Art-Attack' I picked up the technique of using rolled up newspaper stuck down with sellotape (sounds a bad plan). You then paint it with watered down PVA, stick ripped up kitchen roll on top with more watered PVA. When dry paint with acrylics. It works really well. Plan to give it a go for a hill or two...

As I am concentrating on WHFB intended to build a collection of terrain features to cover the range of random items.

Should only take me about 10 years...Tongue

History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
(12-06-2011, 07:51 AM)Agincourt Wrote: Watching 'Art-Attack' I picked up the technique of using rolled up newspaper stuck down with sellotape (sounds a bad plan). You then paint it with watered down PVA, stick ripped up kitchen roll on top with more watered PVA. When dry paint with acrylics. It works really well.

I did something similar for a display board for a competition when I was younger - seem to recall using papier-mâché to bulk out the hills. Turned out really well, so well I won the competition Big Grin