Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games Workshop vs. Chapterhouse
The jury verdict on the trademark infringement case between GW and Chapterhouse was delivered a couple of days ago. Plenty of detailed reading below:

BoLs - LEGALWATCH: Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse Trial

BoLs - LEGALWATCH: Games Workshop vs Chapterhouse Verdict

Dakka - Chapterhouse Lawsuit update- motion to dismiss

Dakka - Discussion of the consequences of the GWS vs Chapterhouse verdict - speculation, thoughts, feelings

BoW - GW Vs Chapter House in Open Court Case

BoK - Network News: Games Workshop vs. Chapterhouse 1st Wave of Testimony
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
looks like chapter house got a bloody nose but came out swinging and managed a score draw (won more claims, but got a fine).. but will they win in the long run? probably not.. I say this because I believe that CH are not that big and 25k fine could cost them solvency, plus GW have much more monetary power behind them so can continue to fight while if CH survive this fight, could they afford another? I'm not convinced.

I also think this sends out a very powerful message that GW will back up there words and threats, yes they will take you to court if (in their opinion) you try to copy there stuff... Although they technically lost 161 to 84 claims (I think), the fine that CH received would cripple most people running this sort of business from there spare rooms/small warehouse... so could warn others off... But this could work another way and in defiance encourage more people to do as CH have done, risking the wrath of GW.

I like bok's snippets about mysetic spores and tyranids the GW responses did make me laugh a little.

I also believe GW will tighten there trademarks.

From what i have read, CHS have a turnover of over £100,000, so in the long run it is not business crippling (they get to pay back in installments), but it is a major victory for a lot of small independants as this is the first time anyone has taken them to court and now it sets precedants on the what is and isn't part of the GW claimed IP's.
If GW take any of them to court on any of the stuff they lost on, they would likely lose again and potentially lose more of the IP.
(this seems to be the general consesus on other forums, i'm not 100% sure as i'm not a legal guru Tongue )
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Our assets have been frozen.

Yes, thats pretty much the issue. Many of you may know that Games Workshop has been in a legal battle with us for almost 4 years now.. maybe its 5...

Anyways, they have asked the courts to freeze our assets and this has happened, this happened early September, not long after I posted the photos of the last set of products that were being produced and almost ready to ship.

What does this mean? #1 we have no means to ship or produce or pay for anything... and I mean anything, internet, phone, gas, nothing. We cant use or accept funds (well technically we can accept but I wont do that without a means to ship out new orders).

#2 the demon lines are sitting at the casters, waiting to be shipped but not able to be shipped to us. Even if they were shipped to me, I couldnt ship them out since they are technically "assets" and I am not allowed to ship them out.

#3 the company infrastructure, email, website, is pretty much frozen.

I am flying out (which GW allowed us to buy a ticket) to chicago next week to step in front of the courts and plead my case to have assets released and do business as normal until the appeal is addressed.

For those of you who are understandably upset, I am sorry, this has been a long and hard road and many of you have stood by me. I wish it was better but its been very stressful and now I have learned that its not only my company at risk but my personal assets and home are being threatened as well now.

Ill do my best to keep you all apprised.

And to be clear, no orders were taken after I found about about the freeze mid september.
Any orders that have issues were due to customers not putting in correct addresses and a new shipment needing to be sent (and couldnt due to the freeze).
Or lost orders in the postal system.

Nick
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Ouch!

Settlement has been reached, discussion/speculation can be found on page 234 of this thread on dakka-
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/pos...55433.page
Blood bowl Skaven
Quote: Chapterhouse wrote:
Hello folks, the web store will be up and going by the end of the week and I will ship out any orders that were not disputed this week as well. Hopefully the site will be able to stay profitable and I am hoping the defense lines will sell as well as some new products as well.

Thank you to those that supported Chapterhouse through the last years.

Nick

Seems that chapterhouse is still in business, so adds another layer to this. I wonder who the settlement favoured the most?

Sadly never know due to NDA....
Blood bowl Skaven