Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming Club Network
We're now eligible for a couple of offers from Warlord Games and Mantic Games, essentially allowing us to choose a free starter set from each range for use within the club.

The choices are:

Warlord Games:
  • Hail Caesar
  • Pike & Shotte
  • Black Powder
  • Bolt Action

Mantic Games:
  • Kings of War
  • Warpath
  • Dreadball

Let me know if you have a strong preference. My thinking would be perhaps Dreadball and either Hail Caesar or Bolt Action.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
(31-01-2013, 04:31 PM)Stuart Wrote: My thinking would be perhaps Dreadball and either Hail Caesar or Bolt Action.
I will second the dread ball. I want to see it play.
Dreadball Sounds good to me, looks fun from what i saw of it Sunday
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
I would go Dreadball and can't decide between Hail Caeser or Bolt Action
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
I concur with previous comments, on going for a Dreadball. Having a game for use at the club, possibly for new walk ups to try would be very useful.

However I would for a second game, pick either Pike and Shotte, or Black Powder. Hail Ceaser is already being played by some folks at the club, even if sporadically. Bolt Action whilst a game from a more popular era, is a WWII game, an would likely be played anyway. The other two, are time periods none of our current members other than Steve touch. Having a rules set for members to look over, may well cause someone to possibly look to a different time period than normal.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(31-01-2013, 08:02 PM)Gareth Wrote: However I would for a second game, pick either Pike and Shotte, or Black Powder. Hail Ceaser is already being played by some folks at the club, even if sporadically. Bolt Action whilst a game from a more popular era, is a WWII game, an would likely be played anyway. The other two, are time periods none of our current members other than Steve touch. Having a rules set for members to look over, may well cause someone to possibly look to a different time period than normal.

I'll go with that
other alias-jim
current projects-drop-zone commander(ucm/phr),bolt action(everything)
Right, so Dreadball for sure. Any more thoughts on the options available from Warlord Games? Some more detail on each of the options below:

Hail Caesar - Conquest of Gaul

Pike & Shotte - For King and Country

Black Powder - Rulebook and either 2 Napoleonic or 2 Pike & Shotte boxes

Bolt Action - Assault On Normandy
I'm going to get these sets ordered over the weekend.

I'm going to sound out Steve (our current de-facto historical dept. representative) on the Warlord options, but current thinking is that unless anyone has strong objections I'm erring towards Hail Caesar as reading around there seems to be a lot more scope with regard to choice of forces. From what I can gauge there seems to be some degree of interest in this era among the group, and therefore less chance of this particular game gathering dust. I think Sam (and Joe?) have a minimal number of figures and have played a couple of small games against each other at the club, but have been seeking other interested parties for a while.

Any volunteers to paint these sets? We'll also need to give some thought to storage.
I like black powder, however, dont think we do have any Ancient rules? So hail ceasar sounds good
Flames of War- Irish Guards    Bloodbowl- Orcs, Humans
Cutlass- Teddy Bear Pirates     Warhammer- Bretonnia, Ogres
6mm WW2- XXX Corps            28mm WW2- Rules of Engagement, Bolt Action, Chain of Command
28mm Zulu War- Still painting !!  SAGA Normans, Saracens
Bolt Action - German and British Infantry
Malifaux - Gremlins
Guildball - Butchers,Hunters, Farmers
Tom bought some Hail Ceasar troops already. Having played and enjoyed it.

I got the impression you could have a decent skirmish game in a night for a relatively low outlay - which makes sense for a 'club set'.
History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill