Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40K - An education
Right so some of you may know already but i've come back to 40k after a pretty extended absence. (1995 was the last time i played....) and with that in mind a lot of things have changed and there are a fair number of armies that didn't exist back when i played. what i'm asking for is a quick education (or links if you know of any) to the key points in your armies, or armies you know. I think i understand some of the Space marines fairly well (space marine codex, grey knights and Dark angels) and i have the chaos codex (just don't know it well) but here my knowledge ends.

take necrons, these weren't even a concept in 1995, what nasty tricks should i know about? nasty units etc?

same for Tau? Eldar? Dark eldar (dont think these existed either!)

share anything, there is not such thing as bad information, especially with Battlefield Birmingham coming up and me blinking into the light like a newborn foal.

Cheers for any help in this
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
First off, what army are you using at BB?
I would recommend these guys. I do it often enough I should get paid. The 40K articicles are often right on the button.

www.3plusplus.net/
I'll be using Dark Angels, triwing, my probably list is here

i'll have a read of that site, cheers
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
For Necrons watch out for the deathmark unit with one or two despair crypteks in a nightscythe. these mark a unit when they deploy (eg your terminators) and this means they wound that unit on 2's. The deathmarks have rapid fire 24" sniper weapons, and the attached crypteks have a flamer template (so ignores cover) that again wounds the marked unit on 2's and is ap2!! Tasty, although they are a bit of a one shot weapon - beware deepstriking your termies near his lines if he has these in reserve...

mind shackle scarabs on the overlords are nasty - causing you to test ld on 3d6 and if fail that model attacks its own unit (or itself!)

Necrons can also play around with night fight but prob not a massive issue with your list as you will be trying to get up close. They are very resistant to shooting due to reanimation rolls (made at the end of each phase, any model killed with this rule stands back up on a 5+ (although can't be used if they flee - Ld10 across the board though). assault is best way to take down necrons.

Wriathwing sounds very popular talking to big rob last night. wraiths are 2wounds, 3++ save, T4, S6 rending attacks, quite a few attacks each and ignore terrain when moving so resilient and good in combat. They also can have whips that reduce the enemy to I1. I think termies, especially with a few storm shields, have the edge on these. best to torrent them or shoot with S8 missiles though, don't bother shooting the plasma into them unless no better targets.

that's all I can think of for Necrons atm.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
Do you have the codexes? I found just reading through them over and over (take1 a week for example), then hunting for tournament lists (http://maunsfeld-gaming.com/downloads/2 ... S_2013.pdf - this will be an excellent start), then think about how you're going to beat those lists, then playtest and playtest somemore, then maybe once more... knowing your army will prepare you for success.

To start with the codexes at the moment Necrons, Daemons and Nids are the most prevalent, so start with those, then work your way through IG, Chaos, Marines of all colours, Eldar and Tau... then the rest..

Thanks for the advice all. i'll see if i can "locate" the codexes for a start.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
You got a dropbox account Simian?
40k: Bloodimps (Custom Blood Angels chapter )

"Cake for the cake god!"
I do. I'll message you my email
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss
Thanks for the dropbox link. I've been reading the necron codex on the train this morning....I'll be honest im a bit worried.
Simian aka Ben
Interests

Hooting into the Abyss