Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAO Andy and Paul
Think I got a call wrong. Page 31 spell types. Magic Missile needs LOS and front arc, cannot be cast with a wizard in combat. direct damage however needs front arc, but no LOS. As such it can be cast whilst in combat. Sorry guys if that made any impact on your game.
Dont worry Gareth, we are still learning. You better write what do You think about woods. Can a tree in the wood block line of sight or is just ignored and only gives You a cover save. If hills and buildings can block line of sight why not a tree.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
From the diggign around I have done on interweb type people I have gathered that Woods only grant cover saves, and do not impede LoS. There is still no clear definition on this from GW, but Tournament's tend to be played with the view that a wood, is now more of a coppice than a forest.
And diggign is a proper word in my shizzle. If you wanna come down to my hood and start diggign (pronounced like dig-gigging (without the last g,) I bust a cap in yo ass.

Im pretty fly for a white guy Tongue
For me it's logical rules. My logic was/is simple.

On the gaming table buildings, walls, fences, small hills, are solid, definite, immovable entities ...and I would be happy to agree that a single significant tree could be on the table specifically based and placed e.g, wood elves might have a holy oak tree to compare to a tomb king bane rock, or whatever. This would block los.

However a wood or copse, is essentially marking an area of effect. The two or three trees randomly placed are there purely to show it's a wood 'area of effect'. If it represented three actual trees, then there would be no need to mark the 'area' of the wood. The actual trees get moved about as units move through them, etc. and as such unless they are placed in marked positions could be advantageously relocated...

It would be good to get a clarification from GW.
Another point to be aware of in future.

The errata to HE Martial Prowess.

Martial Prowess still enables HE to fight in an extra rank to the front.

Fighting in a horde of HE spearmen allows 5 ranks to fight.

Front rank - obviously fights
2nd rank - in new rules - supporting fighting
3rd rank - in new horde rules - supporting fighting.
4th rank - in new rules - spears fight in an additional rank (not supporting, but in an additional rank)
5th rank - HE spears martial prowess fight in an additional rank (not supporting, not the extra rank because they have a spear, but extra rank because they have been training for 2,000 years).

However, when charging the extra rank for spears is lost, so would go down to 4 ranks.

History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
Paul now its written down, I can see your point. I assume someone on the interwebs explained things for you. I appologise for my mistake, and no intention was meant. I also forgot my own additional attacks granted from my spells, if thats some consolation, and the fact that my big unit had a 6+ regen, effectivly granting all those spearmen kills a potential save. However trust me that I only cost you 7 attacks a round, and spears lose their extra rank on the charge. Rule books are currently sat in the car, I will have to edit this when I did them out.

-------------------------------edit----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 91 Weapons
Spear (foot)
Type - Spear
Range - Combat
Strength - As user
Special rules - Fights in extra rank *
*Does not apply on a turn in which the model charged

There is a difference in what the errata is doing, and what I was reading. If they left that sentence in play, it would actually be cancelling out martial prowess, as it would be making spearmen fight in the same number of ranks as everyone else (3 standard, 2 on the charge.) They removed it so that the additional rank is in play, at all times, and tht is my mistake. Appologies from Graham.
Gareth - yes you are right about spears and charging, I have edited my last bit above to be correct (hopefully). I read it and immediately forgot it!

No probs on what we did right and wrong. I know no-one one is 'cheating'. There is just so much to remember and that comes with practice. I am learning every game. It's all practice, experience, tactical ploys and fun...

I just come to enjoy playing - winning is just a bonus.

Having lost my arch-mage general early on (again... Andy killed him 2nd turn) I basically only had one hope and that was that the horde would steam-roll through... which it sort-of did.

If your chariots had got in, or you'd charged those bowmen I think the result would have been different.

I'm up for a re-match anytime. Or of you want to kick orc-butt just ask.

History is written by the victors - Sir Winston Churchill
when i came over and spied on the fight i thought both were playing very and i guess these things happen when you are learning. me and Sarah made a few mistakes and when me and dad play eachother we make loads, some times i get very frustrated.

tom
Some woods might be so dense and deep that You should not see through them. I think the best way is to make agreement before beginning of the game how to treat every single wood on the battlefield.
Real wood is not just a couple of trees and in that manner we should consider it.
WFB (DE) 2014...W-D-L...2-0-0
(27-05-2011, 11:46 PM)-=IP=- Wrote: Some woods might be so dense and deep that You should not see through them. I think the best way is to make agreement before beginning of the game how to treat every single wood on the battlefield.
Real wood is not just a couple of trees and in that manner we should consider it.

you could maybe role a d6 before you start for each wood there is and 123 you can see through it 456 its too dense and you can't see?

tom